Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday morning, the 30th I shot my first banded duck EVER. And its a double banded drake mallard with a $100 reward band :p You could say I was a little excited lol. Im gonna use the money from the band to mount the duck. Its a fairly nice drake. I was hunting in Charlevoix county on a bean field. We ended up with 8 mallards and 3 geese, pretty good hunt and very ducky weather. Apparently I cant post pics because I havent made enough posts lol. If anyone wants pics just send me a PM and ill give you a link.

Just curious, how should I get this duck mounted? Flying, standing? And what pose when flying or standing?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cupped with landing gear down, sporting the band imo.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I dont have a flying mount yet, so it would be a good addition.

BTW, I shot the bird flying away on my right at about 40-50 yards, dropped him dead with one shot, had been shooting bad all morning lol. I was standing on my knees in my layout blind, no idea how I shot it, but I did.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Really cool. Thanks for sharing up the pics.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I dont have a flying mount yet, so it would be a good addition.

BTW, I shot the bird flying away on my right at about 40-50 yards, dropped him dead with one shot, had been shooting bad all morning lol. I was standing on my knees in my layout blind, no idea how I shot it, but I did.
Ya I see how ya got him ?.....All that "Extra" weight he couldn't get away fast enough.......lol Teasing.....Nice bird congrads.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ya I see how ya got him ?.....All that "Extra" weight he couldn't get away fast enough.......lol Teasing.....Nice bird congrads.
Yep I agree Mike. Poor old crippled bird had to have 2 leg braces.:lol:

Seriously though, very nice Someone11. Congrats on the bling with $100 of Cha-ching...

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
first off, congrats on the reward band.

secondly, "No", you don't have to send in the bird to collect your reward cert.

you can call it in or through the web. the number on the reward band is linked to the fed band on the left leg. reporting one or the other gets you both (sort of speak).

and lastly, a suggestion to you. when you get your certs (and you'll get two; one is your COA, suitable for mounting and the other is your check) you should scan/copy your check before endorsing it. endorse the original to get your money, but the dupe you can frame with the COA next to your mount.

PS: and I agree on the mount idea. cupped mallard with gear down. show off them bands!

·
Registered
29 Posts
if your freezing him make sure his head is tucked in his wings because when they freeze there necks get brittle and can snap off it will also keep his bill from getting frost burn

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thats a nice reward for a first duck band!!! I got myself a susie last year with a $100 reward band, and that's the first one I had seen in hand.
I would get a mount done with the duck landing straight at you...Head pointed down with the wings up, and both legs spread out...That would look sharp, and also sport the bling as well.:)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off...I know I dont have to send the duck in LOL. Ive already called in the bands and know about when ill be receiving the certs and check. Good idea on scanning the check, ill probably do that.

Secondly, my uncle is a taxidermist, hes going to be doing it for me, im sure the bird is preserved correctly since I was at his house when I shot it. I think ill go with your guys' idea and have it coming at you cupped, with the feet out. Good way to show off the jewlery.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the band numbers online today and it was banded in Ontario on 9-29-09, only banded for a month and 2 days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My buddy last year shot a reward-banded black duck.. it was a nice bird. Not sure how many black ducks are reward-banded....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great Job, Congrats!!!!

I was lucky enough last season to take a double banded drake with a reward band. Not that it matters much, but I never received the check in the mail. I received a letter stating that the study was over and no reward would be sent. Either way it was cool to shoot a double banded bird.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great Job, Congrats!!!!

I was lucky enough last season to take a double banded drake with a reward band. Not that it matters much, but I never received the check in the mail. I received a letter stating that the study was over and no reward would be sent. Either way it was cool to shoot a double banded bird.

UGH... Are you kidding? That would suck... But atleast you got a double banded bird. Heck I still haven't shot one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts