Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's come over me lately.:confused:

I picked up an older Martin Phantom a few months back on impulse.

2002-2003 or so I think. 38" and changeATA, single cam (I don't shoot singles...ever:confused:), nearly 8" of brace...long and soft and slow:lol:

I've been shooting my old 2312 Eclipse arrows out of it in the yard and having a ball.

So much so I'm going to hunt with it this year.

Yep...ME...the "8 bows a year guy" shooting a retro rig this season.:lol:

I need to find some of the heaviest aluminum shafts possible to complete the setup now. I'm looking at some 2216, 2219 or 2117's...all weighing in around 13gr/inch:chillin:

Am I nuts?:sick:

I can't help but wonder if this is a natural progression...back to basics maybe.

I love the hot rods too but I'm more excited to hunt this old rig shooting at a whopping 225-230 estimated fps than my Firecat @ 318

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Does that mean I can use the "Cat"?:D:D:lol::lol:

Sometimes those 'older' bows just seem to feel better in our hands. Good luck with it Kelly.;)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Retro? Here I thought you were going to talk about an old Darton MX 50 or an old PSE Mach One or a Jennings etc, etc.... maybe even a Bear Whitetail II!! 2002-2003 is now considered retro? :lol:;) Here I was gonna post a pic of my 1995 era Pro Line New Wave, but heck thats an antique apparantly, and to old to be considered retro! Now I'm going to have to buy a new bow this spring so when people see me shooting my 07 Elite, they don't stereo type me as that retro guy! :lol::lol:

Now if you meant single cam technology as being retro, I'm with ya there!! Even the 08 single cams are retro today!! :evil::D

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
To complete that retro rig, you need a peep sight with rubber tubing, and 125 grain Thunderheads!! Don't bastardize it either with an STS of any type! :D

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I love the hot rods too but I'm more excited to hunt this old rig shooting at a whopping 225-230 estimated fps than my Firecat @ 318
That's almost like racing a 60's Vette against an '08 Vette,
Sounds good and fun in theory but not a snowballs chance in Hell at winning....
And figure that's 88 FPS difference and is way more than a smart buck or any deer for that matter,needs to jump the string.

good luck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Kelly we had a guy in our camp at the R-100 in Wabash that was shooting an old martin zebra striped bengal signed by Ted Nugent in 2001. He missed just as good as the rest of us. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Kelly we had a guy in our camp at the R-100 in Wabash that was shooting an old martin zebra striped bengal signed by Ted Nugent in 2001. He missed just as good as the rest of us. :lol::lol::lol:

I had one of the Ted Nugent Martins back in the day. It was Black, with white zebra stripes red writing on the limbs, magnesium handle...twin cammer. Pretty fast for it's day, actually was a very nice shooting bow. Can't remember the model name. Wouldn't mind having that one back to play with a bit.

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Retro? Here I thought you were going to talk about an old Darton MX 50 or an old PSE Mach One or a Jennings etc, etc.... maybe even a Bear Whitetail II!! 2002-2003 is now considered retro? :lol:;) Here I was gonna post a pic of my 1995 era Pro Line New Wave, but heck thats an antique apparantly, and to old to be considered retro! Now I'm going to have to buy a new bow this spring so when people see me shooting my 07 Elite, they don't stereo type me as that retro guy! :lol::lol:

Now if you meant single cam technology as being retro, I'm with ya there!! Even the 08 single cams are retro today!! :evil::D
Whos there speed racer...let's not get carried away:D

Retro does not equal ANCIENT:lol:

And figure that's 88 FPS difference and is way more than a smart buck or any deer for that matter,needs to jump the string.

good luck.
Aww come on Sully...
Even a 400fps arrow of flaming hellfire aint quicker than the speed of sound and a whitetails reaction time brother.

Silence is deadly;)

Even hear a 2003 Martin Phantom at 63 lbs shooting a 525 grain arrow?
Nope?
Me neither...I'm bettin the deer wont' be much better;)

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure you missed a lot faster Slicey McDicey:lol:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm sure you missed a lot faster Slicey McDicey:lol:
Nah I hit them all, no misses for me. I also got my 1000 point pin. I will be going for another one this weekend in Saginaw. Are you going to the R-100?

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys notice how he conveniently didn't respond to my post?:lol::lol:
You're more than welcome to it Ted;)
Only condition is if for some reason the jalopy breaks down...I'll be lookin' for the Kitty;)

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
You don't know how tempted I am by that offer Kelly.:D But I think I'll stick to the Tech 29 again this year. Thanks.;)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
If you've owned it from the beginning can it truly be considered retro?:lol:
Thats a good question...... My Girlfriend would probably say yes, since she makes similar remarks about the clothes in my closet, and I can assure you I am the original owner of all of it!

Either way, that Tech 29 is way cooler than any of my clothes....

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats a good question...... My Girlfriend would probably say yes, since she makes similar remarks about the clothes in my closet, and I can assure you I am the original owner of all of it!

Now THERE'S a tag line:lol:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts

Well if it's any consolation, that T-29 is "dressed" to kill too.:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts