Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Retrieve Pointers

768 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Setter
Plant Dog Vehicle Car Sky
looking for some tips or advice to work with my 8 month old Brit, Yeti, to get his retrieve game going strong on birds. We had our first live hunt today. Put out 6 Chukars, got them all and a bonus rooster. No problems finding the birds or holding point, but he was cautious when it came to picking up birds. I believe the new experience of mouthing birds, and the fact that some were still flopping, kicking and flapping when he went to get them made him unsure of how to approach them. The last chukar we put down he finally picked up by the wing and pranced around with. When we got home I tossed one of the birds around in the yard and he picked it up and ran around with it. I think it is more or less getting comfortable with grabbing the bird, as this was new for him. Is there anything I could do to further help this process out? All in all a great first hunt together. I look forward to many hunts over the coming years with him.
Reactions: fordman1 and jfn
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Sounds normal.Take him again and it will be different most likely. He is young an testing the waters so to speak.
Reactions: jonnyb
There are two options Take him out again and hope for accidental behavior of retrieving to kick in, or quit hunting and actually train him to retrieve. One is sure coincidence and the other a planned disciplined approach. The trained retrieve will elevate your own personal standards in a working gun dog, the accidental behavior approach will not!
Best of fortunes!
Hal
Some background info here-
I have worked with him over the last few months for him to learn the command 'bring'. This one took some time to set in but he finally got it, but just with basic toys in the backyard. My thoughts moving forward are to either get a frozen quail to replace as our 'fetch' toy, or tie some bird wings onto a larger retrieve toy/dummy bird to help the transition over to birds.
Not sure which Retriever program your using??
" last few months for him to learn the command "bring" . Force fetch or a trained retrieved program would be done completely in the time he learned the command bring.

Here is a chance learn about what i write.
https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/dog-training-seminar-for-pointing-dogs.611872/
Some background info here-
I have worked with him over the last few months for him to learn the command 'bring'. This one took some time to set in but he finally got it, but just with basic toys in the backyard. My thoughts moving forward are to either get a frozen quail to replace as our 'fetch' toy, or tie some bird wings onto a larger retrieve toy/dummy bird to help the transition over to birds.
That’s what I was thinking.
That’s a nice looking dog.
Same here.Very nice markings!
That’s what I was thinking.
Dog Snow Carnivore Plant Dog breed
Thank you guys. I love the liver and white color. Most think he is a springer at first glance though lol. Anyone going to be at highland today? We will be there.
Nick,
Does your group still do the training during the week in the summer? If so where?
Mark
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.