Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone from the dorm rooms picked up and left this week leaving me no one to hang out with. My original plans were just to hang around here with friends. Well, I was going to let a weekend go to waste so I did eny mine miny mo and picked up and headed to the ausable. I haven't fished the river for kings in a long time so I thought this would be the weekend to do it. I also wanted to fish the river where I first started my salmon fishing. With the one ounce rule in affect, I wonder how the salmon snagging would be. I thought there wouldn't be that many people using it.

Boy, was I wrong though. I pulled into the dam and walked down the steps. There were people snagging all over the place. I left that place and decided to go where my dad and I call scamp. # yrs ago, my dad and I would fish it and everyonce in awhile fish with someone else but there was always room to fish.

I pulled into the parking lot and there was absolutely no where to park. I ended up putting my blazer in between two tree and walk down to the river. There I found trash all over the place and piles of snagged salmon all over the place. Between 10 guys, I seen 6 piles of 3-6 salmon. Several people were over there limits. I made a call to the right authorities.

I then checked out van ettan creek. The fish were stacked there. I even seen some big uns, lol. I head sunday, 7 kids were busted for attemping to snag there. Shame on them. I then decided to fish a place where I knew no one would be. Well, except wackedangler. We talked to a bit and I then decided to fish another place. It didn't look like anyone was doing any good on the pier. I ended up fishing the other side of high banks. I guess no one likes to walk. I had almost that whole section to myself. I went 0-4 at night fall with two fair and two tail hook. Wish I woulda landed the fair hooked fish because they would been nice eaters. I then decided to sleep in my blazer @ scamp. Very comfy and the scenory was nice two because I woke up and there was only 1 truck in the lot. Tried hooking a few of the fish that were remaining with no luck. I then headed out and checked out the dam and got talking to one of the only people fishing that dam legally. After we said our good byes I headed to somewhere that I can't explain where I ran into a guy asking if I was from TC. Sure enough, it was Hemish. We talked a little and fished a little. I hooked up with one that was tail hooked and I think hemish might had a bite or two. Hemish then had to take off and I fished til dark. In that time frame, I hooked about 4 more fish but none of them felt fair. One even spooled me. I then walked up to see if I could find any more beded kings. I didn't find any more but there was a very long shoot in front of me so I casted way up river and started walking my fly back to where I was hooking the kings. I felt 5-6 bumps but something didn't feel right. After the last rip, I reeled in my line. Low and behold, there is a green line attached to my fly. So, I grabbed the line, and started trying to untangle my line. Then the green line started moving up river. FISH on!!!! haha. I figure I would try to land the fish with my hand just to get the line out of the river but when I was trying to untangle my fly, the fish took one run and snapped the green line at my hand :eek: I am thinking it was hooked fouled by a guy who was snaggin up on the wall. Man, they keep some nasty fish up there.

All in all, I met a ton of nice people this week. I didn't get home to TC til about 12 last night. I think I talked more to anglers then fished which I didn't mine.

It was also nice to meeting two ms anglers that I did. Both fine examples of a Michigan-sportsman:)

Funny. 6 months ago, I never could fine a person from this site where I fish. Now, I run into them all over the place.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Heh Stelmon, thanks for the report! I'll talk to my bro(hemish) about your adventures tuesday. I'm glad he got to meet the famous Stelmon.:D :cool: Hope school is going well for you.

Dan aka Maxemus

·
Registered
450 Posts
Old saying, but it is true.

A bad day at fishing is better than a good day at work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts