Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
Geez don’t even get me started on the lent fish fry’s. All that I have tried in Macomb county the last few years suck. Any suggestions on a good one these days?
Have you had the red skin potatoes at St. Isadoras 23 and Romeo Plank? Bruce Post gone wrong? St Basil's in Eastpointe on 9 mile?

· Registered
1,685 Posts
My biggest fake item that was served to me at a restaurant was not a fish meal but a steak meal. Since I am A OTR Driver In 2010. I stopped at a truck stop in Corinth Mississippi just South of the Tennessee border on US 45. They had a restaurant in the truck stop since it was an amazing truck stop who's a mom and pop's truck stop. Well on their menu they advertised a filet so I ordered the flea and I said I wanted it between medium rare and medium. They told me to state law it has to be well done. I've never heard of such a thing in my life. I said well talk to the cook and see if you can do it medium and she said she would and then bring it out. So they brought my steak out and I looked at it and I said this is not a filet and she argued with me saying yes this is a filet. It was a Salisbury steak. Now I know why they said it had to be well done it was from a TV dinner. I told them I'm not paying for this. She argued with me and threatened to call the police if I did not pay for it I said why didn't eat it but I'm not paying for a Salisbury steak TV dinner that was advertised as a filet. Well fortunately next to me was a off duty police officer who had ordered the same thing and he looked at my plate and he said you can cancel my order I'm not paying for the. Then he flashed his badge at her and said you can tell your manager that this is false advertisement and trust me I'll be here with the proper authorities tomorrow. To top the bad experience off the next morning when I left at 7:15 in the morning, I hit a deer and messed the front end on my truck up.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Filet mignon is a cut of meat taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of a cow. In French, it mostly refers to cuts of pork tenderloin. The tenderloin runs along both sides of the spine, and is usually butchered as two long snake-shaped cuts of meat. The tenderloin is sometimes sold whole.
Wikipedia

AKA backstrap.
The can get pretty high folutin when handled in certain ways such as dry aging.

There's also a lot BS 'filets' made from tenderized scraps and protein bonding. It's a cut that has a name that sounds fancy, is associated with a high price at a restaurant, and therefore can be a way to rip you off... I suspect Omaha Steaks are in this category.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Filet mignon is a cut of meat taken from the smaller end of the tenderloin, or psoas major of a cow. In French, it mostly refers to cuts of pork tenderloin. The tenderloin runs along both sides of the spine, and is usually butchered as two long snake-shaped cuts of meat. The tenderloin is sometimes sold whole.
Wikipedia

AKA backstrap.
The can get pretty high folutin when handled in certain ways such as dry aging.

There's also a lot BS 'filets' made from tenderized scraps and protein bonding. It's a cut that has a name that sounds fancy, is associated with a high price at a restaurant, and therefore can be a way to rip you off... I suspect Omaha Steaks are in this category.
I know what filet mignon is. Didn't realize its just named as filet on a menu. I've always saw it with the full name.

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
Geez don’t even get me started on the lent fish fry’s. All that I have tried in Macomb county the last few years suck. Any suggestions on a good one these days?
Just got word North Macomb Sportsman Club every other Fri. beginning Goof Fri. I believe.

$15 or all you can eat $20.

· Registered
375 Posts
This thread has been a great read. The content of this thread is interesting enough but what I really enjoyed about the thread is this; Alot of varying arguments and some steadfast opinions going on here. At the end of the day, I perceive, maybe I'm wrong but I perceive, that everyone commenting could actually sit down and have a beer together! Telling each other they are full of sh*t but buying the next round. To me this is refreshing as opposed to the past few years where everything has been so damn stupidly extreme divisive in almost every aspect of life. Let's have another beer and BS some more, this is fun. Waitress, I'll have the sole. Ocean or work boot, I don't care, just make it taste good.

· Registered
41 Posts
Bungalow Inn on outskirts of downtown Manistee. If you're not in the mood for surf, they also have turf... the "Double Trouble Cheese Burger". Had one the night before a fishing charter where I ultimately spent the day walking around like Charlie Chaplin. Couldn't wait to get ashoore and find the nearest "rearing pond".

· Registered
151 Posts
This thread has been a great read. The content of this thread is interesting enough but what I really enjoyed about the thread is this; Alot of varying arguments and some steadfast opinions going on here. At the end of the day, I perceive, maybe I'm wrong but I perceive, that everyone commenting could actually sit down and have a beer together! Telling each other they are full of sh*t but buying the next round. To me this is refreshing as opposed to the past few years where everything has been so damn stupidly extreme divisive in almost every aspect of life. Let's have another beer and BS some more, this is fun. Waitress, I'll have the sole. Ocean or work boot, I don't care, just make it taste good.
Step up to the bar,boys…I’m Buying!!!
You are correct…this is a nice break from the ********!

121 - 133 of 133 Posts