Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts

· Registered
5,896 Posts
Mike, since you spend so much time in Algonac, have you ever stopped on Fridays at Snoopys or Road House?

· Registered
291 Posts
You have to watch out for the church dinners during Lent. Some of them are sinning and committing fraud by advertised perch or walleye when they are serving zander.
Geez don’t even get me started on the lent fish fry’s. All that I have tried in Macomb county the last few years suck. Any suggestions on a good one these days?

· Registered
3,479 Posts
St Anne's in Linwood always had a great fish fry during lent on Fridays. There ads were all u can eat walleye but they used Pollack. That aside, the fish was outstanding IMO and it didn't bother me being served a replacement for walleye in that case. Still wrong advertising walleye.

· Registered
41 Posts
Perhaps when a restaurant posts "perch" on the menu, we could ask them whether it's yellow, white, ocean, ... other.
I also think they should post the subspecies they're selling, but 'perch' is very general.
So it's on both, the restuaranteers and the consumer, to confirm/clarify.
Some people, like menu writers, may not know there's a difference...

· Registered
3,479 Posts
Perhaps when a restaurant posts "perch" on the menu, we could ask them whether it's yellow, white, ocean, ... other.
I also think they should post the subspecies they're selling, but 'perch' is very general.
So it's on both, the restuaranteers and the consumer, to confirm/clarify.
Some people, like menu writers, may not know there's a difference...
No doubt it's deliberate just as those church fish fry's during lent falsely advertise. As you say, it doesn't hurt to ask if the description is vague labeling it a "Perch" dinner. I won't pay for a sit down restaurant perch dinner unless it's lake/yellow perch. Never had Zander or ocean perch. I'd order Zander perch if it was priced reasonably otherwise lake perch is my choice.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
No doubt it's deliberate just as those church fish fry's during lent falsely advertise. As you say, it doesn't hurt to ask if the description is vague labeling it a "Perch" dinner. I won't pay for a sit down restaurant perch dinner unless it's lake/yellow perch. Never had Zander or ocean perch. I'd order Zander perch if it was priced reasonably otherwise lake perch is my choice.
Zander perch is zander. Just perch size.

· Registered
3,479 Posts
No they aren’t!!!
Ya while toting the definition I read a while back when I researched the Zander, it described it a fish in the Perch family. Going back after such pushback from all you guys and doing the same, many other sites define them as pike perch and while still keeping them closely in the Perch family, I can see they are clearly not a Perch as we know them. They actually look more like a walleye in color while resembling perch in their younger age group. They are a popular fish in the UK as table fare. The more appropriate name should be just Zander not Zander perch. Being in the family of perch do not make them perch as some have said.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Ya while toting the definition I read a while back when I researched the Zander, it described it a fish in the Perch family. Going back after such pushback from all you guys and doing the same, many other sites define them as pike perch and while still keeping them closely in the Perch family, I can see they are clearly not a Perch as we know them. They actually look more like a walleye in color while resembling perch in their younger age group. They are a popular fish in the UK as table fare. The more appropriate name should be just Zander not Zander perch. Being in the family of perch do not make them perch as some have said.
Cousins

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
Last year I was surprised to see a restaurant that claimed to serve pike. Had wanted to try their fish dinner at the time, but they didn't have any. Now I'd bet I'd probably have been disappointed thinking I was getting something unique from a restaurant, and it would've been pike perch(zander). Amusing if they were attempting to be honest and I'd have still been fooled. Could be real pike, but I've never personally seen northern pike sold commercially. All this makes me less want to try fish at new restaurants.

I know I've read more articles about it happening with ocean fish. Fish fraud: What's on the menu often isn't what's on your plate | CNN

· Registered
1,150 Posts
Had an experience in Ludington at an unnamed tavern that was quite negative for my wife and I.

We were actually super excited to try some small batch brews. We were flush, and had some big tips reserved... just ready to have a nice time and share it.

Upon order, I asked an honest question:
"The perch plate, may I ask if it's local lake perch?"
My server became very nervous and whispered:
"No, it's surf perch."

Then the, let's call her The Ale Wife, showed up and started punking the server, and us...

F-that!

We finished our first round of beers, that weren't so good anyway, skipped the food, and will never return.

· Premium Member
34,448 Posts
Geez don’t even get me started on the lent fish fry’s. All that I have tried in Macomb county the last few years suck. Any suggestions on a good one these days?
You will have to ask @WALLEYE MIKE or @PunyTrout, they might know of the good ones. I avoid those type of dinners.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts