Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

· Registered
11,762 Posts
Just don't understand the violation. I can't understand how it can be a deception. When I order a ribeye steak, it doesn't say what kind of cow it came from (Hereford, Limousin etc). Doesn't even disclose the quality (select, choice or prime).
Well, for starters the names for the animals you listed are all cows:).

Anyway, those are valid questions that you bring up and I understand the points you are trying to make.

However, would you feel the same way if your order for a rib eye steak showed up at the table and was a thick cut boneless pork chop from the rib end of a pork loin? That would be the equivalent cut as the beef (cow) rib eye if it was from piece of pork (pig) except it is half the price.

Not including the deception aspect one point that has not been mentioned is the problems that could result if the person has an allergy to certain fish and not others that might look and taste similar.

· Registered
3,480 Posts

Anyway, those are valid questions that you bring up and I understand the points you are trying to make.

However, would you feel the same way if your order for a rib eye steak showed up at the table and was a thick cut boneless pork chop from the rib end of a pork loin? That would be the equivalent cut as the beef (cow) rib eye if it was from piece of pork (pig) except it is half the price.

Not including the deception aspect one point that has not been mentioned is the problems that could result if the person has an allergy to certain fish and not others that might look and taste similar.
That's why I responded the way I did. Lake, yellow and Zander are all perch. Apples to apples

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts

Glad to see you around Alex.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
No they are not. Of the perch family but still different. Just like we are homosapiens but different races.
So lake perch, yellow perch and Zander perch are not Perch ? I must be confused. I mean when you see venison on menus in restaurants, they don't list which species. I see this the same. Not defending any fraud but if they specify perch, it's perch. We just expect Lake Perch not Zander or ocean.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
So lake perch, yellow perch and Zander perch are not Perch ? I must be confused. I mean when you see venison on menus in restaurants, they don't list which species. I see this the same. Not defending any fraud but if they specify perch, it's perch. We just expect Lake Perch not Zander or ocean.
Is comparing a ribeye to a Salisbury steak apples to apples?

· Registered
5,360 Posts
I got whitefish tonite. $17 for a WHOLE fillet, (about 11") Include salad and onion rings. Thats all I could eat.!!
Said restaurant does not serve perch or walleye.
The AYCE Friday night special (a buck less than the regular whitefish dinner) starts out with two fillets of the size mention, choice of potato, choice of vegetables, a salad, and cup of whitefish chowder or lobster bisque. I have never reordered and usually take a half fillet and maybe part of a baked potato home. Cut up the potato and fry it, warm the fish in the microwave and have both with an over easy egg or two for breakfast the next morning and the leftovers disappear before the Mrs. even gets out of bed.

That said, my intention was to have the whitefish but when the waitress mentioned they were also having a smelt dinner for $17 that included all of the above sides and found out it was fresh, not frozen, I went that route. I must say that the smelt were perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection, so much so that for the first time ever I asked the waitress to pass along my complements to the cook. Smelt must be plentiful this year because this was the second time in two weeks I have seen fresh smelt included as specials at two different restaurants. Usually we don't see fresh smelt UP here until much later if memory serves me.

Back to the perch discussion. The restaurant where I ate last evening has "JUMBO perch" as a menu item. Yes, they capitalized JUMBO, but what is served are several large zander fillets. Caveat emptor. FM

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Is comparing a ribeye to a Salisbury steak apples to apples?
Nope exactly my point. You made my point for me. If there calling it lake perch, that's different. Listing it as perch leaves only the consumer asking "What kind of perch"? If they say they don't know, move on or roll the dice. Your choice.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
Not sure if this link will work but when looking at their facebook yesterday, I noticed on their menu that they even specify that their perch aren't white perch, euro perch(not sure if they mean zander?), ocean perch etc. Facebook. I'll give them a try

Since you are mentioning around Bay City. The place I was thinking has real perch is Turkey Roost. Or if I'm wrong, they weren't as obvious as the place I went today with zander. Going to be disappointing if I learn I'm wrong about Turkey Roost.
Always wanted to try Berger's for perch. I see the advertisement for their Perch dinner. Looks good. Some day.

· Registered
3,480 Posts
81 - 100 of 133 Posts