Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the legality of serving zander at restaurants and calling them perch? There was a restaurant I've been wanting to try. They advertised all you could eat perch and on google reviews everyone was raving about how great their perch was. There were over a thousand reviews, and I even searched the reviews for zander.

Well anyway today my father wanted to take me out to eat for my birthday. Since he loves perch, I decided to try this new place. Well, when our "perch" arrived I immediately noticed the fillets, that were thinly battered, looked exactly like zander I had bought and tried in the past. I pulled up a picture of zander fillets on my phone and then asked the waitress if they were zander instead of yellow perch. She claimed to not know so she called over a manager or cook and had me ask them. He admitted they were zander, but that might've been because he saw I had a picture of zander fillets out. I didn't know if we had any grounds to refuse to pay for the meal, so I admitted at least he was honest and we continued on with our meal.

The waitress had already taken away our menus, but at least on their site I only saw them listed as perch. I don't know if that is a legal loophole, but I can't believe that most of the people who eat there think they were getting something other than yellow perch. Surprised no reviewers have noticed. The fillets are narrower, and the bars are different.

Zander aren't the worst fish around, but to me they always seem drier than perch and walleye. I had been suspicious that they were offering all you can eat perch for less than $25. I guess I should've gone with my instinct that it was too good to be true. The place also seemed stingy with refills despite them using a much cheaper fish.

I feel bad that my father spent money there for me. His birthday is soon, and I plan to take him to a place I'm more confident has real perch. That place could have European perch for all I know though. When I've had European perch they taste similar and the fillets look similar to yellow perch. Can you really know if anyplace is being deceptive if the possibility of European perch is thrown into the mix? I guess at least European perch are in the same genus

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to point out that the place was charging $20 for a regular meal of "perch." So while the all you can eat might've been too good to be true, that seems to be pricy for the small portion of zander they likely gave. Or at least $20 is what the place I think serves real perch charges for a dinner. So unless they've tricked me at this other place, the place selling zander is using perch prices for regular dinners.

· Premium Member
4,751 Posts
What is the legality of serving zander at restaurants and calling them perch? There was a restaurant I've been wanting to try. They advertised all you could eat perch and on google reviews everyone was raving about how great their perch was. There were over a thousand reviews, and I even searched the reviews for zander.

Well anyway today my father wanted to take me out to eat for my birthday. Since he loves perch, I decided to try this new place. Well, when our "perch" arrived I immediately noticed the fillets, that were thinly battered, looked exactly like zander I had bought and tried in the past. I pulled up a picture of zander fillets on my phone and then asked the waitress if they were zander instead of yellow perch. She claimed to not know so she called over a manager or cook and had me ask them. He admitted they were zander, but that might've been because he saw I had a picture of zander fillets out. I didn't know if we had any grounds to refuse to pay for the meal, so I admitted at least he was honest and we continued on with our meal.

The waitress had already taken away our menus, but at least on their site I only saw them listed as perch. I don't know if that is a legal loophole, but I can't believe that most of the people who eat there think they were getting something other than yellow perch. Surprised no reviewers have noticed. The fillets are narrower, and the bars are different.

Zander aren't the worst fish around, but to me they always seem drier than perch and walleye. I had been suspicious that they were offering all you can eat perch for less than $25. I guess I should've gone with my instinct that it was too good to be true. The place also seemed stingy with refills despite them using a much cheaper fish.

I feel bad that my father spent money there for me. His birthday is soon, and I plan to take him to a place I'm more confident has real perch. That place could have European perch for all I know though. When I've had European perch they taste similar and the fillets look similar to yellow perch. Can you really know if anyplace is being deceptive if the possibility of European perch is thrown into the mix? I guess at least European perch are in the same genus
Simple solution, ask to speak to the kitchen manager or ask the server to ask the kitchen manager. They will know if its local or not. I worked as a cook at a high end steak and seafood restaurant long ago and the perch they served was labelled as perch and was European perch. If they advertise Lake Erie Yellow Perch I would hope thats what it is and asking to confirm is always acceptable IMO.

· Registered
16,526 Posts
Bergers restaurant @ Bay City has real Perch dinners. Real GOOD Perch dinners.

Bergers Family Restaurant celebrates 95 years in Bay County

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Not sure if this link will work but when looking at their facebook yesterday, I noticed on their menu that they even specify that their perch aren't white perch, euro perch(not sure if they mean zander?), ocean perch etc. Facebook. I'll give them a try

Since you are mentioning around Bay City. The place I was thinking has real perch is Turkey Roost. Or if I'm wrong, they weren't as obvious as the place I went today with zander. Going to be disappointing if I learn I'm wrong about Turkey Roost.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Simply put they must serve what they advertise or its fraud. (according to the FDA and Michigan Dept. of agriculture)
Some of the restaurants I turned in changed their menus to reflect what they serve.
Call the local health dept. and file a complaint. They are suppose to enforce all FDA and dept. of agri rules.

Some had told me "well its just like ........

· Registered
5,896 Posts
Like it was said, Mike is the pro on Zander!

He is known in the restaurant industry as "The Zander Narc". :p

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts

Would like to try them someday. Whenever I do drive by the time isn't right (Usually towing 5th wheel and boat).

· Registered
3,479 Posts
I assume any restaurant that says "All you can eat" is going to be the knock off zander. I've never had perch that was all you can eat except at home. Zander isn't a bad tasting fish, it's just not perch and should be labeled and priced as such.
All u can eat cod at most places is around 20.00. Just a short time back, all u can eat crab legs were 20.00. Turkey roost sells perch dinners for 20.00( I think that's what I paid a few weeks ago). It's all I could do to eat all the fish they served me. It was real yellow lake perch. Never had Zander but no way I could eat enough to make the 25.00 paid worth the trip. I think they can and do get away with the ad because Zander IS a perch species. Not an American fish but a UK version and the largest perch species. They are legal in their description of the meal.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
All u can eat cod at most places is around 20.00. Just a short time back, all u can eat crab legs were 20.00. Turkey roost sells perch dinners for 20.00( I think that's what I paid a few weeks ago). It's all I could do to eat all the fish they served me. It was real yellow lake perch. Never had Zander but no way I could eat enough to make the 25.00 paid worth the trip. I think they can and do get away with the ad because Zander IS a perch species. Not an American fish but a UK version and the largest perch species. They are legal in their description of the meal.
Lets see you argue that with the FDA.

Where is this Turkey Roost?

· Registered
3,479 Posts
Lets see you argue that with the FDA.

Where is this Turkey Roost?
Kawkawlin. I would think the FDA would be good with a restaurant labeling the meal properly. Not sure why they'd have an issue with that. Most lent fish specials served at church affiliated locations are serving pollack calling it all u can eat walleye. That's actually the violation. For a Good cause tho I'm guessing. Money for a church. Huge Pass by FDA

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear on Turkey Roost.

Simply put they must serve what they advertise or its fraud. (according to the FDA and Michigan Dept. of agriculture)
Some of the restaurants I turned in changed their menus to reflect what they serve.
Call the local health dept. and file a complaint. They are suppose to enforce all FDA and dept. of agri rules.

Some had told me "well its just like ........
I tried calling the Michigan Department of Agriculture but the lady that answered acted like I was crazy calling about fish and told me they didn't license restaurants, so I'd have to call the health inspector. Know you said to call the health department but thought I'd give them a try as well to see what they had to say about this practice by restaurants.

Tried to call the health department with no luck so far. I'll try again or leave a message.

Turkey Roost is in Kawkawlin, between Bay City and Linwood on M13. Their turkey dinners are pretty good as well. They serve perch on Fridays.

· Registered
3,479 Posts
Good to hear on Turkey Roost.

I tried calling the Michigan Department of Agriculture but the lady that answered acted like I was crazy calling about fish and told me they didn't license restaurants, so I'd have to call the health inspector. Know you said to call the health department but thought I'd give them a try as well to see what they had to say about this practice by restaurants.

Tried to call the health department with no luck so far. I'll try again or leave a message.

Turkey Roost is in Kawkawlin, between Bay City and Linwood on M13. Their turkey dinners are pretty good as well. They serve perch on Fridays.
Just my opinion but one of the best restaurant perch I've eaten. Boones in TC is another. Don't find many good restaurant perch dinners (yellow perch) these days. Most have small portions and huge price tags. Turkey Roost is worth the drive there for a Friday perch dinner.

· Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Kawkawlin. I would think the FDA would be good with a restaurant labeling the meal properly. Not sure why they'd have an issue with that. Most lent fish specials served at church affiliated locations are serving pollack calling it all u can eat walleye. That's actually the violation. For a Good cause tho I'm guessing. Money for a church. Huge Pass by FDA
I have talked with the FDA and Michigan dept. of agriculture about this. They do NOT condone fraud at any level.
I have a name of the guy I talked to in Lansing (if he still is there)
Start with health depts. And go from there.
Agri depts uphold the FDA rules and the health depts. uphold those rules on a local level.
In one case in Lapeer county that health dept. had to investigate my complaint (as he didn't know anything about misbranding of fish) He found out and confronted the restaurant involved. They ended up changing the menu.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts