Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

responsible dog owner

3K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  ezcaller 
#1 ·
Another poop problem. I need to vent. beside damn geese and ducks that my neighbor is feeding, his fat old lab always does his business on my yard. either from front door or back door, when he lets him out without a leash, the dog comes right to my yard and does it. I told him nicely 3 times and he said he picks it up. he does but not regularly. Yesterday there was 5 pilings and he was not around. I had to pickup poop last year every time I cut the lawn. So, what is it with you dog owners? I understand he is your best buddy, I understand you love him. but we do not like his poop on our yard. you can teach you dog to retrieve a cripple but cannot teach him to poop on your own lawn. city police said to call them and they give him a ticket for leash law and pooping. I just do not want that sh*t come between me and my neighbor:), he is a nice guy. Now about all the dog poop at Harsens parking lots, oh forget it. feel better.

#9 ·
Another poop problem. I need to vent. beside damn geese and ducks that my neighbor is feeding, his fat old lab always does his business on my yard. either from front door or back door, when he lets him out without a leash, the dog comes right to my yard and does it. I told him nicely 3 times and he said he picks it up. he does but not regularly. Yesterday there was 5 pilings and he was not around. I had to pickup poop last year every time I cut the lawn. So, what is it with you dog owners? I understand he is your best buddy, I understand you love him. but we do not like his poop on our yard. you can teach you dog to retrieve a cripple but cannot teach him to poop on your own lawn. city police said to call them and they give him a ticket for leash law and pooping. I just do not want that sh*t come between me and my neighbor:), he is a nice guy. Now about all the dog poop at Harsens parking lots, oh forget it. feel better.

Your neighbor is the one having it come between you, he's letting his dog sh*t in your yard. Maybe he's not such a nice guy, mention that to him.

#10 ·
My lab won't go where he has already gone unless it gets cleaned up. My guess is that all the pooping real estate is taken up in his yard. I suggested the mono for the geese now a second higher row for the dog. Also find out how much the fine is for the leash and pooping ticket and let him know.

#11 ·
I would approach the neighbor again, be nice about it, but suggest the police told them to let them know next time there is a problem, and let him know that you really don't want it to come to that but that his behavior might leave you with no choice.

I've found with neighbors that you really do have to walk a think line in terms of diplomacy. You never know how sensitive people can be, and you have to keep in mind that you are stuck next to him.

Doesn't seem like too hard of a problem to fix. He should be out there ready to scold his dog when it goes on your property, no different than house breaking a dog. Dogs are smart, they just need to be a trained.

Reactions: brewster
#14 ·
My uncle had this problem in Florida so being an old hockey player he just used his hockey stick and flipped it up on their roof and all around the front door. The guys wife gave her husband so much grief after stepping in it the guy started walking the dog elsewhere. Steve

#16 ·
Luckily both of my neighbors have dogs, so this isn't an issue.

Actually, my neighbor owns two lots, so there is an entire 2 acre empty lot between us, nothing but a few trees, so my dog and his dog both use the empty lot for their business. works great.

But as mentioned earlier, dogs aren't dumb. They don't generally like to poop where they play, so that is why the dog is heading to your house, which is empty a lot of the time from the sounds of it.

Maybe you could text your neighbor a day or two before you arrive and remind him to check your yard before you arrive.

#17 ·
Had the same problem with a neighbor that had a huge German Shepard. Beautiful dog, very friendly but left piles of doggy doo that looked like and elephants. Asked the owner several times to please keep his dog off my lawn. Started "collecting" the piles in a 10 gallon bucket. I worked afternoons, got home around 3 in the morning and when the bucket was full one night, I took it to his home and spread the contents up and down his driveway.
There were no more piles on my lawn after that.

#18 ·
Dogs normal sniff the ground looking for a spot to go. Try putting pepper on your property line. Use a generous amount. Will need to repeat until the dog learns the line. Now I have heard of this being effective but have never tried it. This could help and not piss off the neighbors.

#21 ·
My dogs pooped in the neighbors yard, so I cleaned it up. I watched until they went over to their business in the neighbors yard. When I seen them initiate the poop squat I busted out the door and grabbed shovel screaming my war cry and chased them off the neighbors yard. Haven't had a problem with them pooping over there ever since.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
My dogs pooped in the neighbors yard, so I cleaned it up. I watched until they went over to their business in the neighbors yard. When I seen them initiate the poop squat I busted out the door and grabbed shovel screaming my war cry and chased them off the neighbors yard. Haven't had a problem with them pooping over there ever since.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
....and your neighbors have a healthy fear of you now!

#23 ·
You say your neighbor is SUCH a nice guy (well doesn't sound all that nice) it's his FAULT--Not the dog's, I'd just pick poop up and put it in front of his truck door, if he get's stupid-so be it. I would HIGHLY advise a person thinking of shooting my dog with anything-to REALLY think twice about that OPTION, it would 100% end up bad......

#24 ·
Will only hurt like a hard pinch to them. Most smart dogs get shot once maybe twice and wont return to that area and if not seen wont associate the short sting with anyone person or thing other than their location. But if it is your second home I see how that poses a problem
So shoot the dog -because his owner is a ass ???? dog's probably a good dog, how about shoot the owner with that thing your talking about, how would it feel in a dog's eye.

#28 ·
I honestly have not personally done it. I do know people who have. I guess I did not really give it a second thought because it worked for said people and at the time I did not think of it as something other than training the dog for him. But you are probably right. It isnt really fair to the dog.

#27 ·
You may need documentation, so keep dates and times, not just talked to him three times before.

I would contact county animal control. Most twps and county have leash laws.

Dogs feces can possibly transmit worms to one of your guests, dogs who visit you. A larger threat is dogs do not associate children as alpha especially strangers kids. Older dogs deal with pain just as our seniors. A child inadvertently may push on hips or other parts of dogs body causing severe pain. The dogs natural response especially to a subordinate is to attack. Wake up dogs have teeth.

By contacting animal control it shows you trying to stop irresponsible owner from letting a dog run loose. Hopefully it will work after one or two calls. It does show a precedent though if a dog bite to you or another neighbors kid or dog ( dogfight ).

Contact animal control. You may have to let dog in house. When they take dog away owner will have to come up with 100 to 150 dollars to get their dog back. Again contact animal control, especially if after 3 times having a discussion with him has not worked.

After once or a few times paying to get his dog back. He may realize a leash or fence is not all that expensive in the end. Fences make good neighbors.

#29 ·
I Have a new Idea after reading all the Post's again--HOW about print this WHOLE POST and tape it to the dog owner's front DOOR, hopefully he will READ all the comment's and realize he is a ASS for a NEIGHBOR and if he was NOT MUCH of a MAN--he would knock on your door-OFFER a hand shake as a oppoligy and say he will fix problem******But I'm a old Marine (old school) and I would walk up to him and hand it to him in person (ask him to read it ALL) and make his own opinion----& I would tell him I'll never harm your dog BUT I will respond as NEEDED after you read this,,,Then I'd shake his hand and say SEMPER-FI and best wishes with your decision.
I've alway's had the opinion that I can be a GREAT Neighbor or the WORST you have ever seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.