Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering your feelings on RAP. Are you satisfied with the response, response time, resolution and wherewithall that are state does with its enforcement of the laws. For instance, if you called about illegal baiting, did you get prompt response, was it resolved or did it go to the wayside. Do you think the state just puts on a good show, and things like baiting and untagged deer are just not being followed up on??

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I called on an illegal bait pile. it took the officer more than a week just to go check it out. I gave GPS coordinates and the officer still had a hard time with that. DNR officers cant even use a GPS??
I assume he checked it out but I have no idea if he ever even found it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I would rather see a TIP line like Iowa has, turn in poachers with possible rewards. Once I did however talk to a CO a few days before the walleye opener about undersized and over the limit walleye being kept on the river. Turns out he went undercover and popped several fisherman on the openers, so yes it works, work well? if they have time...and thats the problem, not many CO's and so not much time

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
If you turn in a violator you get half of the $$$ from the ticket. Poaching would be reduced 1000%- I know i'd be after people over bait.:evil:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
My only experience with the RAP line was when I called them 4-5 years ago. It was the second day of duck season in zone 3. I watched a guy take 3 shots at a flock of geese 30 minutes after LST. I called the RAP line immediately and gave them the location, description of the truck, and the license plate number (only truck at the ramp besides mine.)

The response I got? Nothing. Never heard back from the DNR, and yes I gave them my cell number when I made the call.

Fortunately I have not had to call the RAP line since then, but it did leave me a bit unsatisfied not knowing if anything was done about the complaint.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I've called the RAP line for guys keeping walleye after the season was over and the DNR was there within 10 minutes. Three different groups were busted right then and there. :lol:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would assume,,, all calls are sorted out to importance and urgency and priority,, Co's also help out the cops on drug bust too when needed, I been told this by an officer. Depending on the work load, you will get serviced accordingly. Works the same way with contractors (when they are busy and swamped). You will get it,,when you get it. We give quick service,, no matter how long it takes.
The call in load escalates on opening day, and you have to wait in line. Keep doing your part and calling in, but you have to expect that the CO's cant be everywhere all at once.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last year I saw this guy catching & keeping smallmouth bass before the season opened. I walked over to him & tried unsucessfully to make him let the fish go. I than walked back to where I was & called the rap line. 45 minutes a CO showed up & issued the guy a ticket. :)He than walked down & thanked me for calling the rap line. (I gave a discription of not only the other guy but myself as well, & told the operator that the CO could feel free to stop by if he couldn't find the guy or if he had any other questions about the complaint)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've made the call four times for deer poaching all were caught. Get your local CO'S cell number it works the best. They do pay rewards I got enough money for a new Mathews bow a few years ago!!!!

·
Banned
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok..I called the other day about something. I first tried Central Dispatch and they told me they had no CO's on duty this weekend...so I called RAP. The lady was nice, but as soon as I told her of my desire for annonimoty, she got an attitude with me. So snapped one back and said, "so, you guys aren't in the business of enforcing the laws in this state", she calmed down. What I witnessed was a no-no, but these are my neighbors, but their recent activities, and harrassment of other neighbors have made me make a decision that absolutely made my guts churn. I felt like a smuck calling, but as of last night, the problem was still there, and they continued to hunt with the late doe season..I highly doubt anything will be done about it...I am not happy with the whole situation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts