Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer the bilge pump on my 18' Alaskan went out and the boat sat with water over the floor boards for a week. When I took the boat out of winter storage the floor boards were rotted. Lund refused to help with repairs because I am the second owner. Turns out the they built this thing using wolmanized instead of marine grade wood.

I'm considering replacing the floor with aluminum diamond plate. I think 1/8" will work but I'll need to shim the floor. Has anyone ever replaced wood flooring with aluminum? What do ya think?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Last summer the bilge pump on my 18' Alaskan went out and the boat sat with water over the floor boards for a week. When I took the boat out of winter storage the floor boards were rotted. Lund refused to help with repairs because I am the second owner. Turns out the they built this thing using wolmanized instead of marine grade wood.

I'm considering replacing the floor with aluminum diamond plate. I think 1/8" will work but I'll need to shim the floor. Has anyone ever replaced wood flooring with aluminum? What do ya think?
I put some in a boat for a guy ,,I figured it would be slippery which it was ,,he ended up painting it with anti skid paint,,the aluminum was expensive 3 years ago ,,it is not hard to do just use the old wood as a pattern and make sure it is supported well it as it will bow also it expands and contracts a lot with heat and cold

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
we installed it on the ribs with 3/16 bar stock running perpendicular to the ribs spaced ,,I think 12 " on center ,we put .025 Teflon under it to help it when it expanded , we used 1/8 " tread plate the plate was 60" x 120" he got it through the company he worked for ..I think all the Aluminum was some where around $350,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.