Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an older boat and trailer. The line that you crank the boat onto the trailer is old and rotten. I think the boat is 16 to 18 feet long, it is just a run about, I think they call it, but anyway, I need to replace the line on the trailer winch. I had scoped out some people at the local launch and have seen numerous different types from rope to tow lines. Would like some ideas for the best replacements, the winch is hand crank type. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
I have straps on all my boat winches as it looks the neatest when used and wound back on the winch. Some will tell you cable, but for a runabout, a strap should work fine. You may wish to take the strap to an upolstery shop and have them sew a higher quality snap at the end of the strap, as the cast metal ones seem to get ratty after a couple of years...

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
33781 said:
I recently got an older boat and trailer. The line that you crank the boat onto the trailer is old and rotten. I think the boat is 16 to 18 feet long, it is just a run about, I think they call it, but anyway, I need to replace the line on the trailer winch. I had scoped out some people at the local launch and have seen numerous different types from rope to tow lines. Would like some ideas for the best replacements, the winch is hand crank type. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Try Bass Pro, Cabelas, Jays, Kmart, Walmart, boat dealers, It shouldn't be hard to find what you need at these stores. You could go to a boat dealer near you and ask them what you need and if the price is to high, shop around. Like the other Great people, said in there post, I would go with a strap.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Hey 33781 I have a place on Hamlin Lake Just off Nurenburg Road across from Indian Pete Bayou. You could possibly use a poly line,and the diameter and strength would depend on the weight of your boat and the capacity of wench spool. Although a strap would be the way to go,just make sure that the spool is not much larger than the width of the strap. Also you will not need more than 25 ft.,perhaps less,.This is just in case you get into some hairy conditions it,s good to have more line(strap) than needed. Check the boat bow eye! how big is it? and buy a heavy duty utility hook (3000#cap.). make sure the hook fits the eye. You can go to Wal-mart Meijers or Capt Chucks someone should have a rig already made up..Sorry no CABELAS or BASS PRO up there.:sad: Good luck and REMEMBER always REMEMBER .......''DO NOT UNHOOK YOUR BOAT UNTIL SAFELY ASSURED IT WILL NOT SLIDE OFF THE TRAILER.'' P.S. Do you have a secondary safety hook?????:SHOCKED: :SHOCKED: :yikes: :yikes:

FIND A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....AND GO THERE.....OFTEN

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
Just say nope to rope...

SWL on 5/8 polypro is only 380#....Less when it's wet. You could get some 8 mill static line ( technical climbing rope) that will test out at about 6k#.....But with the amount of $ it would cost you could buy 5 straps!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Snaggs, we bought the house right behind the Lakeview Campground on North Peterson road on that private drive, won't be there until March when I retire. Trying to get some info for when I get there. I had a 14ft jon boat about 25 years ago, now that we are on the lake, got to have a boat, so trying to get this one ready for summer fun! Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Just wondering what the 33781 # is,couldn,t be your prison I.D. #.:lol: :lol: :lol:
or is it????? Any who!! I've been at upper Hamlin for 20 years now on the lakefront. Had to get a place on water with 16 grandkids.something,someplace for them to go. Actually live in Brighton Twsp. I don,t stay on this computer all day just from time to time especially during the winter months. Good to know you are there. I will get to you personally,and perhaps hook up some time for fish'n. RETIREMENT IS FOR FOOLS.....I AM A FOOL.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Snaggs,

33-Larry Bird
7-John Elway
81-Carl Eller

I am looking forward to getting up on the lake and finding some good spots, have fished there with relatives only a couple of times, but will be a lot better when I am living on the lake and having my own boat. Look forwad to hooking up with you in the future.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
Saturday: Wife out shopping,thought to look over Sites and Stirr up some trouble...Got the place closed down for the winter. drained locked and sealed. Just hope no critters find their way in. Had a bat and squirrel get in cause I left my chimney clean out door open,sneaky buggers find the smallest places. This was 10 years ago,since no problems..Do not come up in winter,too cold,too much problem.enough to do right here in Det.area..Some good panfish on Hamlin but could be hit/miss. Usually gills 1st thing A,M. and 1 hour till dark..unless very O'cast. rest of day forget it..Oh,,,,there are times when the gills are on during the day but mostly early and late. hafta know the spots. Talk on you later,sometime during the winter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts