Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently refurbishing my 5x10 us cargo utility trailer, just a nice project. my plan is to keep the original color red not stripping in down to bare metal because the metal and paint is in decent shape. i am using my 9inch angle grinder with wire wheel remove all loose paint and rust.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions regarding cleaning up metal after rust removal, and type of primer / paint. I thought using a standard metal primer then covering with red tractor paint. i do not own a sprayer so i will probably roll/brush on the paint. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Primer? & coats?
tractor paint? & coats?
roll/brush, spray?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I painted my trailer a few years ago with tractor paint I bought from Tractor Supply Co.. Also I used rusty metal primer first that was compatible with the paint. Honestly, a sprayer would make life much easier in applying the primer and paint, especially underneath the trailer. Good luck and take before and after pictures to show us how the job went.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I am currently refurbishing my 5x10 us cargo utility trailer, just a nice project. my plan is to keep the original color red not stripping in down to bare metal because the metal and paint is in decent shape. i am using my 9inch angle grinder with wire wheel remove all loose paint and rust.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions regarding cleaning up metal after rust removal, and type of primer / paint. I thought using a standard metal primer then covering with red tractor paint. i do not own a sprayer so i will probably roll/brush on the paint. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Primer? & coats?
tractor paint? & coats?
roll/brush, spray?
rustoleum primer and paint was made just for these jobs. wire brush the loose stuff and paint it,,,the garb a cold one and relax:fish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts