Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a long read, I apologize for my lack of communication skills. This is about a group of young sportsmen I have came into contact with this year

First a little backstory,
First meeting
I live near a some public land that is an archery only area. It is not open to any other hunting. But some think that is for others not them. Most are duck hunters that are mistaken on the rules. (this thread isnt about law) its about the young sportsmen I met.
First meet- im leaving for work and pass 2 trucks with a duck boat. I already know where they were heading. I went back and chatted with them at the parking area a minute. I asked if they new the rules for hunting there. To my amazement they did. Not only that they had a name of a landowner who granted them permission to hunt. Needless to say I was impressed as most just plead ignorance or get mouthy with their so-called knowledge of the laws. These guys were nothing but respectful and i wished them good luck.

Second meet
Was the weekend of the wind! 1 1/2 hrs before light as im leaving to hunt i see a light on the water. After a minute or two I realize its a boat load of guys trying to row into whitecaps in the dark. I drive down to see whats up with my quad headlights. These guys are taking water over the bow in the dark(5 guys). I recognized them as the young guys I met previously. They immediately headed to shore to talk to me. That's when I realized they had 0 PFDs with them! I went a little Dad on them at that moment. Since the permission they had was still 1/4 mile away I made a move I wouldn't normally make. I told them where to set up on my property a couple hundred feet away. I made it clear it was that day only and that their respectful sportsmanship had granted that.I also made it clear how dumb that move was without PFDs. Because I would be the guy finding them drowned...they agreed and were thankful for my concern. After hunting that day they all stopped by and reintroduced themselves and thanked me for the opportunity.

Third meet
The young sportsmen stop by last week to drop off a small gift and card of appreciation. I'm elated that there are young guys doing the right things the right way. By being respectful, courteous and Honorable they have earned a new spot next year.
BTW they made sure to tell me they are new outfitted with PFDs
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should also note that they were not from hunting families. They were learning as they go. Looks like mentoring is in the future. I believe everything happens for a reason

·
Registered
18,294 Posts
I should also note that they were not from hunting families. They were learning as they go. Looks like mentoring is in the future. I believe everything happens for a reason
You certainly could have discouraged them as they were finding their way into hunting (my own way of blundering sometimes was ripe for discouragement).

Showing them kindness when they were vulnerable , and nudging them towards safety...All good.
A big part of that is how you do it. Even your tone. And you obviously did it just right.
They'll likely pay it forward elsewhere in time.
Meaning , your consideration will continue to bear fruit , beyond one group of young hunters...

·
Registered
349 Posts
This will be a long read, I apologize for my lack of communication skills. This is about a group of young sportsmen I have came into contact with this year

First meeting
I live near a some public land that is an archery only area. It is not open to any other hunting. But some think that is for others not them. Most are duck hunters that are mistaken on the rules. (this thread isnt about law) its about the young sportsmen I met.
First meet- im leaving for work and pass 2 trucks with a duck boat. I already know where they were heading. I went back and chatted with them at the parking area a minute. I asked if they new the rules for hunting there. To my amazement they did. Not only that they had a name of a landowner who granted them permission to hunt. Needless to say I was impressed as most just plead ignorance or get mouthy with their so-called knowledge of the laws. These guys were nothing but respectful and i wished them good luck.

Second meet
Was the weekend of the wind! 1 1/2 hrs before light as im leaving to hunt i see a light on the water. After a minute or two I realize its a boat load of guys trying to row into whitecaps in the dark. I drive down to see whats up with my quad headlights. These guys are taking water over the bow in the dark(5 guys). I recognized them as the young guys I met previously. They immediately headed to shore to talk to me. That's when I realized they had 0 PFDs with them! I went a little Dad on them at that moment. Since the permission they had was still 1/4 mile away I made a move I wouldn't normally make. I told them where to set up on my property a couple hundred feet away. I made it clear it was that day only and that their respectful sportsmanship had granted that.I also made it clear how dumb that move was without PFDs. Because I would be the guy finding them drowned...they agreed and were thankful for my concern. After hunting that day they all stopped by and reintroduced themselves and thanked me for the opportunity.

Third meet
The young sportsmen stop by last week to drop off a small gift and card of appreciation. I'm elated that there are young guys doing the right things the right way. By being respectful, courteous and Honorable they have earned a new spot next year.
Thanks for reading
That’s a great story and you obviously made a great impression on those young adults!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Excellent story ! Love reading stuff like this. I find stories like this on par or maybe even better than the stories of guys taking youths/their kids out hunting. Well done by you sir ! I was in the same boat so to speak never had a hunting family and didn't start hunting until my early twenties. I tried to be respectfull when hunting or trying to get permission or help. Most were less than helpfull putting it midly but I ran into a couple guys that went out of their way to help me out when they had no reason to. Made a big impression on me and I am thankfull for it to this day more than 40 years later !

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

First meeting

Second meet

Third meet
Thanks for reading
Some times it just helps to point the dirrection for others...this you did and well I might add. Good Job !

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Bucman- you made friends for life!! Sometimes a hand to help is the answer so often this world is always on attack mode!! That made my Christmas!! good for you!! And the dad move PERFECT! You taught them all a lesson there that they will pass on !! Funny how things work and they were obviously brought up right and your showing them that their is still good people in the world outside of there family!! I hope you had and have a great season and. Merry Christmas!!
Roger

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Sounds like some good young hunters learning the ropes and at least trying to do things the best they know how. That was good of you to give them the benefit of the doubt and kinda point them in the right direction and help them out. Good to hear stories like that in a year that's been full of negativity. Those guys will remember trust me, I've had the same experience some 30 odd years ago when I was a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
92 Posts

First meeting

Second meet

Third meet
Thanks for reading
Hats off to you and the young men, both !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts