Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled off the pinstripe off the sides off my boat. It left behind some adheisive. I thought I'd ask what you guy's recommend to use to remove it? I just don't want to hurt my gel-coat. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goo Gone and Goof Off are two diff. things right? I have Goof off but that might be alittle too strong, I think?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Your everyday gasoline should work just fine,... we used to use it for automotive applications of stickers, tape type stripes, etc.

Take some on a clean rag and saturate the adhesive, use your fingernail or some #0000 steel wool to remove the goo. After your all finished a little
polish on a buffer over the areas and your done. ;)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
WD-40 will take it right off.
Use it to take stickers off windows and mirrors all the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll giver a try. This is my first fiberglass boat so I double check before I make a move.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
After 20 years of detailing boats, cars planes and everything else under the sun except the space shuttle. I found that lacquer thinner is the best remover. No scrubbing with scuff pads, does not dry out your gel coat. You will find a discoloration to the gel coat if the stripes have been on there for a few years . Not much ya can do about those.

Matt

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
After 20 years of detailing boats, cars planes and everything else under the sun except the space shuttle. I found that lacquer thinner is the best remover. No scrubbing with scuff pads, does not dry out your gel coat. You will find a discoloration to the gel coat if the stripes have been on there for a few years . Not much ya can do about those.

Matt
Ya' know,.. I was going to suggest that, or to use Enamel REDUCER. But I wasn't too positive if it would have TOO much "bite" for a gel-coat finish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
3M General Purpose Adheisive Remover does what is made to do. Automotive based safe to use on all surfaces. You can find it at many auto parts stores or at you local car dealership. Been using it for years on pretty much any surface you can think of with no damage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I spent a few hours doing the same thing over the weekend. I ended up using Turpentine to remove the stickky stuff followed up by water, two coats of polish and a coat of wax.

Toward the end of the project I found that if you pull forward and slightly out on the pinstripe it will take the sticky stuff with it...too bad I discovered this at the end. The idea is to NOT pull backwards like you normally would...worked for me anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts