Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On 22November I was successful harvesting a nice 8-point buck. Weight after field dressing was 110#.
IMG_2469.JPG

That afternoon I was using my Savage 220F topped with Nikon Slughunter BDC 3-9x40. In the chamber was Remington 20ga AccuTip 2-3/4" 260gr @ 1850FPS (PRA20). Buck appeared at 280 yards, but eventually came into range at 105 yards where the AccuTip did its part. He ran no more than 60 yards and dropped with only a kick or two before expiring.

Shot was not a pass through. The slug did hit a left rib upon entry, but I couldn't find slug during field dressing, and gave up combing through the gut pile. My college kids found the slug while skinning; it was embedded below the hide on the right side. They claimed it looked like it ricocheted internally before ending up where it was, but I wasn't there during the skinning process to assess that claim.

Following are before/after views of the slug after skinning:
IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

Definitely qualifies as "terminal performance" with excellent expansion & mushrooming. Unfired slug weight 259.5 gn (on left), after shot weight 250.9 gn. Assuming green ballistic "AccuTip" weighs 9 grains would imply 100% weight retention (wasn't industrious enough to further dissect unfired slug to separate & weigh green accutip). After close inspection of the 6 petals under 10x loupe, all 6 were completely intact. Copper/lead adhesion was also 100% effective; no separation, peeling or other indicators of delamination. Remington makes a helluva 20 ga slug!

It's been a long time since I haven't had a pass-thru with a firearm. May be even longer now that I've acquired a 350 Legend (used to harvest a doe after that 8-point).

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here are two I found against the hide when skinning in years past. Most shots have been through and through. Almost always <100 yards. I like them.

Nice buck, by the way!

20210110_202025.jpg

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting substitute Luv. The AccuTip is 260 gr versus the Shrifle's 239 gr non-saboted slug. Must be a helluva wad to take up that much shell length since the powder volume would be minimally more than Remington's (powder cup ends 6mm above brass):
IMG_2594.JPG

I'm not a fan of unsaboted slugs (with one exception - Buckhammer, which I still have a lifetime supply after buying everything I could when those were discontinued).

Highly unlikely the AccuTip is going away even though Remington was broken up via bankruptcy. All its parts were quickly snapped up and their ammo will continue production under same name but different manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I’ve been shooting the accutips out of my H&R 20 ga for almost a decade. Accuracy is best out of my gun and have always had a dead, piled up deer in 50-60 yards with every one I’ve hit and anywhere from 20-100 yard shots. I’ve probably got 20 kills or so notched with that gun and ammo combo.

I have had some outstanding blood trails and some non existent ones as well. I can’t remember getting a pass through with the accutips. If I’m not mistaken I don’t believe they are designed for pass through but rather expansion.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
You might try Winchester dual bond as a substitute. These were very accurate out of my H&R as well.

Sent from d_mobile

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had some outstanding blood trails and some non existent ones as well. I can’t remember getting a pass through with the accutips. If I’m not mistaken I don’t believe they are designed for pass through but rather expansion.
Prior to this buck, all my AccuTip harvests have come from shots under 50 yards, and all of those were neck shots with full pass thru. All dropped where they stood. I do have full confidence in a neck shot at 100 yards but, this being only my 2nd sit in a new ground blind location setup only days before, wasn't going to risk missing due to deflection.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might try Winchester dual bond as a substitute. These were very accurate out of my H&R as well.
When I did slug testing in 2017, I tried the AccuTip 2-3/4" and 3", Hornady SST 2-3/4" 250 gr, Federal Trophy Cu 3" 275 gr. Positive I tested the Winchester Dual Bond (both of them) at same time back in October, 2017 but cannot locate those target sheets.
>220F liked Remingtons better than the others, and the 2-3/4" slightly better than 3".
>Federal patterned 1" higher and 1/2" right of AccuTip POI.
>Hornady didn't pattern well with my 220F.
>(obviously don't know Win Dual Bond status)

Would love to get back and re-run that trial 4 seasons later but, given current political climate and ammo shortage, holding my hunting ammo sacred.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Good thread here.

I use a Savage 220 and 2-3/4 AccuTips. Good accuracy and I have killed many deer with the combo. That said, it works but I’m not satisfied with the performance as too many have had poor blood trails. I do have a stock of about 30 rounds as I’ve been burned before by manufacturers discontinuing ammunition that works but I plan to test Barnes Vor-Tx or Remington Premier Expander if I can ever get my hands on some. Barnes in my muzzleloader are devastating with awesome blood trails.

Finding ammunition, even 20 ga slugs, is absurdly impossible right now.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a stock of about 30 rounds as I’ve been burned before by manufacturers discontinuing ammunition that works but I plan to test Barnes Vor-Tx or Remington Premier Expander if I can ever get my hands on some. Barnes in my muzzleloader are devastating with awesome blood trails.

Finding ammunition, even 20 ga slugs, is absurdly impossible right now.
My local Dunham's has a plentiful supply of AccuTips. If you're interested, I can secure some for you (they aren't running more than $17-18/box). I know I've seen Rem Premier Expanders, possibly at that same Dunham's (that's a new-to-me 20ga slug round, and wasn't interested in purchasing something I hadn't researched). Can get some of those as well for you if in stock.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 220 likes the copper solids in 2 3/4 best . My nephews 220 likes the AccuTip Bullets
I don't have them in 20 ga, but if someone's interested in 12 ga, I have 3 boxes (15 rounds) of Rem Premier Copper Solid, 2-3/4", 1 oz. $35 delivered to your door.

(Ed, or anyone, pls let me know whether I've crossed a line with these two posts offering to help acquire ammo. I know Firearms forum doesn't permit gun sales, but I don't see anything in the rules and honestly don't know whether there is an ammo barter/trade/sale policy.)

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
(Ed, or anyone, pls let me know whether I've crossed a line with these two posts offering to help acquire ammo. I know Firearms forum doesn't permit gun sales, but I don't see anything in the rules and honestly don't know whether there is an ammo barter/trade/sale policy.)
Seems hit or miss. I see reloading components in the for sale sections and posted some pieces of copper and lead myself and mine get taken down almost immediately and the other stay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
C3E68D7D-749A-44A0-AC10-14C7909776C2.jpeg

Just my experience...
This deer was shot with 20 Ga accutips. The first shot is the shot at the base of the neck. He stopped right before thick brush with a 6 in tree covering up his lungs. Aimed in front of the tree thinking he’d drop. Ran into the brush and over a hill. Followed and jumped him, he ran about 50 yards and stopped, bedded down, as I tried to find a hole for a follow up shot, he stood up and slowly walked away with a really bad limp. I snuck down to try to get a second look before light was gone, no deer, about a coffee can lid size spot of watery blood, and nothing.
Followed his direction of travel and found a trail of scuffed leaves. Followed that for about 150-200 yards until we saw him get up again and shot him a second time. Watched him fall. Recovered the second bullet just under the opposite side hide.
I’d guess the first shot just blew up on the front of the deers shoulder. It never made it into the chest.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Components should be okay...
Stopped at Sportsman Warehouse just a few weeks ago they had some decent reloading bullets and powders but not anymore it is getting wiped out fast everywhere, after what I saw today. People keep buying up guns though at a fast pace. The cashier said a guy had bought up 50 AR magazines screaming about Biden. I only bought three but had a few before I wanted some powder they had Ramshot Hunter in stock but it was gone only one bottle of Ramshot Magnum left besides some black powder.
Check Ammoseek and in certain ammo when it hits the site if you check a couple hrs later its gone even at prices double or triple normal. All I know is Americans are arming themselves to the teeth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts