Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year will be my first year of serious turkey hunting, and im trying to get all of my gear in order early. I will be shooting my trusty remington 870 express pump action, and im going to start shopping for a good turkey load soon. I was just curious if there were any others here who shoot this gun for turkeys and could recommend any loads that they have had success with so that maybe i can narrow the field a little bit. On a side note, anyone else going to the huntin time expo this weekend? I'll be there saturday. Thanks,
Joel

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've had good luck with winchester supreme #5's, each gun is different though and I'd buy several boxes and test them all, your gun will like one or two brands better than others and that could mean the difference betweeen turkey dinner and a stop by McDonalds.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I specifically bought my 870 Express Magnum for turkey hunting. It has the turkey barrel, and I use Remington's Super Full turkey tube. My gun likes 3" Magnum Winchester Supremes in #5s. I bought my son the same gun last year, and his also prefers this load.

Good luck out there.

Dan

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got one. Remingtons super full ported choke tube. Hevi-shot #5.

Got one this last fall out here in CA at 40 yards. That is my personal max range. Maybe could go farther, but I pattern out to 40. Rolled him right over.

JAS

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I run a Comp N Choke .660 in mine, shooting the 3 " Nitro Mags ( 17.00 for a box of 25 ) and am patterning awesome out to 42 yards.
Great combination and a box of shells won't break the bank.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
and a box of Hevi shot 1-3/4 oz mags of 4 or 5s will kill any turkey clean way past 50 yards. Dont scrimp on shells for some fancy tube.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Remember one thing tho..............just because a shell will put a hole thru a piece of paper doesn't mean it'll have the energy and knock down power to kill at long yardages.

I never shoot at a bird past 35 yards, never.

I do not condone or encourage long range shots, your going to wound/lose more than you kill.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
pellet energy of the lead vs hevi shot. No comparison hevi wins hands down. I respect your not shooting birds at 35 yards. I kill geese much further and know the shells will do whats needed. I did the home work. I think everyone should do the research before shooting.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I agree completey.
I just see that alot of guys that don't get the trigger time like some of us do, see and hear all the hype of the super loads and super chokes and lose sight that it's still just birdshot.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
and fire away. I hate the thought of chasing a bird [my lab doesnt mind]...but turkey huntings a bit different than waterfowling. However, I will conceed that a Turkey tastes much better than a goose any day....think my lab would also agree!

·
Registered
756 Posts
My Remington 870 Express isn't a magnum, and I noticed on the barrel it says "2 3/4 or 3 in shells in magnum models, 2 3/4 all other models". It looks like Hevi Shot only comes in 3 in. Does that mean I can't use hevi shot safely on that gun. What a jip!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Joel, I shot an 870 for years and have killed a number of turkeys with one. I just purchased something like a $20 xtra full turkey choke and I usually shoot 3" Hevi-shot 5's. They are rather pricey, but, if you can hit a turkey a box could last you years, I dont mind paying for a little extra assurance. My philosophy is why put all that effort into chasing game and then skimp on the only thing that will make you connect, ammo.

·
Registered
270 Posts
CaptainNorthwood said:
I've had good luck with winchester supreme #5's, each gun is different though and I'd buy several boxes and test them all, your gun will like one or two brands better than others and that could mean the difference betweeen turkey dinner and a stop by McDonalds.
i use winchester supreme's out of my 870 also. hevi shot patterned for crap. i dont think the super full choke is made for it.
~chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts