Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have have any experience with this shotgun? I'm seriously thinking about buying one for Pheasants but I've heard some bad things lately about the current quality of Remington shotguns.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I haven't heard anyhting about problems with the 870. It is a classic gun and has been around for a while. I do not own one, but my father does (870 Wingmaster 12ga LC) and I can't recall him ever having a problem.

I do have a friend that works at the Remington Mayfield Firearms Plant in KY. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he can give me any info.

- Jeff

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The 870 is the best all around shotgun you can buy. I mean if you want to use a shot gun for lots of stuff(deer, birds and other small game) I have 4 870s my self. one is a 12 wing master my grandad owned. I also have a 12 ga express and 2 870 20ga. I have only shot the one a few times I use it as a back up in case a friend needs a gun or my other ever would go out. I shot 2,500 shells out of my main 20. from last may to august I use it for trialing,hunting and shooting skeet. Looks like its been in a war but I would bet my life it will go off when I touch the trigger. In fact I beleave they are issued by police and the U.S goverment, so aleast they did somthing right;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY 870 EXPRESS 12GA.
I'VE OWNED IT FOR 12 YEARS .MY DAD AND BROTHER HAVE THEM TOO. I THINK ITS A GREAT GUN FOR THE MONEY.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had my 870 Exp. 12 ga. for three years. Shot many of birds, skeet and trap. I have never had a problem with it- It reminds me of the timex commercial - Takes a lickin and keeps on ticken.:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have one made in the early to mid 1960's that I have had since 1979. It is suppose to be choked modified but is probably closer to a full choke. I have never ever had a single problem with it in the 20 plus years I have owned it. I have mostly used it on upland game, but when I hunted ducks I would use it. The last time I hunted ducks though lead shot was still allowed, so have no idea how it would work with steel.

Nate

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I know a lot of people that have the 870 in the Wingmaster or the Express and none of them have had any problems. IMO its the best gun for the $ out there.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I have a 12ga 870 Wingmaster that I bought in '78', a 12ga. 1187 bought in '92', and a 22-250 Mod. 700 rifle bought in '85' and have never had a problem with any of them. Just keep them clean and they'll last.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
The only thing I noticed on the Express model is it was the action is stiffer than my Wingmaster. Over time I'm sure it'll smoth out, but I'm guessing the tolerances are a bit better on the Wingmaster. I could be wrong, though.

I've had a 16ga Browning forever and that gauge is fine for pheasants. There's a few less pellets in a shell comparred to the 12ga, but I have never missed a bird that I could blame that on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my concern is more with the current production of 870's. Iv'e owned a few myself bck in the 70's and 80's, and they were great guns. I still own an 870 Special Field in 20 ga that my son has pretty much comandeered as his own. But I've heard lately that there have been some problems with the quality of Remington Firearms, i e shotguns shooting way off point of aim, barrels having to be replaced mechanical problems etc.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I don't care much for the newer 870 expresses. Just my own opinion.

I hunt with a couple guys that have remington 11-87's.

They jam if they are dirty. The older 1100's never seemed to have this problem.

But we are tuff on guns they get dragged through swamps etc.

If it can go wrong it usually does.

No offense to any body who owns and likes any of the above mentioned.

Just telling as I have seen it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts