Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've sighted my Remington 700 in using 150 grain bullets in the past and have only been able to find 180 grain bullets with the shortage going on. Unfortunately I don't know if I'm going to have time to go shoot the 180s before I go out hunting, can anyone tell me how much of a difference I'm gonna see in accuracy? My shots will be 200 yards at the most and I have my gun zeroed at 100, would I have to aim any differently with the heavier bullets?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I have seen a change in bullet weight like this cause ~12" difference in POI at 100 yards. It depends on the harmonics of the rifle barrel and how well the action is bedded to the stock.

Get out and shoot it. That is the only way you are gping to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Even bullets of the same weight can (will) shift poi. Different powders, powder weights, and bullet seating depths will change poi with the exact same bullet. For deer hunting I'd just take it to the 20 yd indoor range and check it

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
never will I shoot at a deer with something I am not sure of.
even a different box of the same ammo. I will go out and at least put 5 rounds from it down on paper.
if I find something different in that box I mark it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
979 Posts
Started hand loading at about 12 yrs old, ANY change any were in your set up WILL change your poi, you owe it to the animal to resight any time you make a change. It might be small it could be huge. I remember once at my dads gun club, we were shooting our magnums, there was a guy shooting some bench rest gun( yes in a rest with handfuls of dials) every time we touched off our magnums his gun would move from its poi just from the concussion. .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts