Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evidently Remington quit making the 20 gauge Accutip sabot slugs that my Savage 220 likes. These are the rounds recommended by Savage so has anyone found any slugs that shoot as well? I have shot 3 other brands and they were not nearly as accurate out of my gun. I have about 15 Accutips left after sighting in so should be OK for this year but need something to replace them with.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The winchester slugs patterned well out of my h&r. Never had a chance to shoot anything with them though. Fortunately I stocked up on the accutips and if I ever pull out the h&r again i'll have enough ammo for the rest of my days.

Reactions: Sasquatch Lives

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 220 had a strong preference for Accutips also. Amazingly accurate. The only alternative I found that came somewhat close is the Browning BX slug. I sold my 220 back in MD before I left, and I recently found some leftover Accutips in my box. Sent ya a message on those.

·
Registered
40,142 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Evidently Remington quit making the 20 gauge Accutip sabot slugs that my Savage 220 likes. These are the rounds recommended by Savage so has anyone found any slugs that shoot as well? I have shot 3 other brands and they were not nearly as accurate out of my gun. I have about 15 Accutips left after sighting in so should be OK for this year but need something to replace them with.
I believe Remington is still making these, I shoot the same out of my 220. I've got plenty but I was just in Dunham's in Southgate and they had plenty. Remington stopped making the Copper Solid slug which I shot out of my Mossberg 695, I have a few of those left but will probably experiment with the Hornady SST. Good Luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also believe they’re still making them.. could be wrong…
But I saw they had the 12 guage accutips at dunhams today…. Did not have any 20 though… but their selection of 20 slugs was pretty limited.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 220 had a strong preference for Accutips also. Amazingly accurate. The only alternative I found that came somewhat close is the Browning BX slug. I sold my 220 back in MD before I left, and I recently found some leftover Accutips in my box. Sent ya a message on those.
I haven't tried the Brownings yet, will give them a shot.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe Remington is still making these, I shoot the same out of my 220. I've got plenty but I was just in Dunham's in Southgate and they had plenty. Remington stopped making the Copper Solid slug which I shot out of my Mossberg 695, I have a few of those left but will probably experiment with the Hornady SST. Good Luck.
I shot some of the Hornady's and they were the second most accurate.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Plenty around on the shelf, they’re just pricey. I loaded up a few years ago. At the prices they want for them now, I’ll never buy another box. 25$ at every box store I’ve seen them at.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plenty around on the shelf, they’re just pricey. I loaded up a few years ago. At the prices they want for them now, I’ll never buy another box. 25$ at every box store I’ve seen them at.
Yeah me neither, too cost prohibitive but I can't even find them around here anyway. Ordering online adds $12 shipping so not an option.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yeah me neither, too cost prohibitive but I can't even find them around here anyway. Ordering online adds $12 shipping so not an option.
I’ll second what someone mentioned above…Dunhams usually has them. At least around SE Michigan. They had them as cheap as $9.99$ a few years back and then $12.99 on and off before things skyrocketed. I’d grab a few boxes every time i saw them on sale.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I changed to the hot day sst in my 220 last year and it likes those did have to make a few clicks on the scope but I’m happy with the accuracy and terminal performance of them , took 3 does last year with my 220/ hornady combo

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts