Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today to sight in the Rem 7400. Not so good news. It won't eject the casing after the shot. The slide comes back ( and locks open ) but the casing doesn't come with it. I know the reputation the gun has. I also know that they are as finnikey as can be about being clean. Any specific cleaning ideas? I am using win power point cartridges. If I can't figure this out real quick like, I am going to hunt with the 30 30 all season. It doesn't seem dirty, but then again it doesn't slide back and forth as smoothly as I think it should.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Sounds like a broken ejector, or possibly just the ejector spring. Is the tip of the ejector still there? Is it gripping the edge of the shell?

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
That happened to me with a bad clip.

Every other year or so they need to be cleaned by a gunsmith (the rifle), depending on how much shooting you do.

What grain bullets are you using? Mine only shoots well with 180 gr loads or higher?

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replace the main spring, clean the bolt face real well and thank me later......
Any tutorial? place to buy the spring? I will try it.

Does it leave the shell in the chamber?
It sure does.
That happened to me with a bad clip.

Every other year or so they need to be cleaned by a gunsmith (the rifle), depending on how much shooting you do.

What grain bullets are you using? Mine only shoots well with 180 gr loads or higher?
Using 150's I will try heavier ones.

I think I need to find a tear down guide on the internet, I am not afraid to tear most guns down, but the 7400 I have avoided. I would use a gunsmith, but this time of year I bet they are backed up like mad. Wonder if any members close to me have enough gunsmithing savvy to help? I buy beer?

·
Banned
81 Posts
If it is leaving the shell in the chamber when fired it sure sounds like the ejector isn't working properly. The ejector may be dirty or may be binding. The spring may be broken as well. Here is a schematic of the gun. Not that much to it really. It may be possible that the entire bolt may be out of alignment as well for some reason or something is bent/broken causing it to be out of alignment.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products_new.asp?CatID=4339

·
Banned
81 Posts
It's part #2 on the diagram. If it were my gun I would tear it completely down and inspect each part. Replace any questionable part and replace all springs regardless. I bet it would run like new after that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't see a "main" spring.. what does he mean?
The main spring is the big spring in the forend, they ALL go bad and do exactly what you have described.

I will bet the gun will not cycle well either.. Take it to a good smith and he can do it while you wait, ot google it as it aint hard. All you need to do it field strip the gun and push out the roll pin to access the spring. While your at it make sure the gas ports are clean.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sam22...What caliber is your 7400? Is the ejector 'cutting' the edges off your shells? I've had mine in 30-06 for 25 years and mine just started doing this this year as well. Mine looks like it trys to grab the shell, but cuts or bends the edge of the casing leaving it in the chamber. If I close the action and pull by hand...the shell comes right out. Let me know what you find, if you would. I'd be pretty nervous tearing into my first rifle, but if it's not too complicated I could give it a go.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sam22...What caliber is your 7400? Is the ejector 'cutting' the edges off your shells? I've had mine in 30-06 for 25 years and mine just started doing this this year as well. Mine looks like it trys to grab the shell, but cuts or bends the edge of the casing leaving it in the chamber. If I close the action and pull by hand...the shell comes right out. Let me know what you find, if you would. I'd be pretty nervous tearing into my first rifle, but if it's not too complicated I could give it a go.
I am not nervous, I am looking after my twin newborns! but I am gonna tear her apart tonight, if I get stuck I will head to the smith first thing in the am.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have it field stripped, but I can't figure out how to get it apart any further. I am looking online but don't see any more helpfull pages. anyone got one?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I own a Model 4...basically the same thing, per what I've been told. On page 14, I have to remove parts # 44 and 45 each year and clean the small ball bearing (#44); otherwise, the empty cartridge won't be expelled. It's a beast of a job getting the spring back in, but necessary. And obviously, protect the ball bearing like its a diamond. Cleaning my Model 4 each year is on par with a rectal exam...but the rest of the year is gravy. Thanks to my brother for helping me with the cleaning.

Swamper

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tryng to get that ball bearing out now.....what the hell does it even do?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have suspected the ball bearing in some way controls the release of gas?

All I know is if I don't clean mine each year, then the impact is very negative.

I do clean the inside of that port out with Hoppes solvent (a rag soaked with solvent wrapped around a small screw driver). I do let it air dry for a few minutes before I put the screw back in. Perhaps a more liberal application of solvent will free the bearing up.

Good luck.

Swamper

1 - 20 of 31 Posts