Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being a knowledgeable one in reloading. What is the more cost effective cartridge (ok, cheapest) for shooting and reloading. I know some guns/calibers ejection system reneder reloading useless. while some are just plain expensive (.45) ?

To narrow the subject down... if you were to select a cartridge stictlly base on use and reload cost $$ What would it be ???

Forgive me if I open a can of worms with this.

Lance

·
Registered
65 Posts
308, tons of data available on all the different powders and 30 cal. bullets have the largest selection and casings are readily available. You may even find some cheap military brass to use. Some may say 30-06 but you'll use less powder with the 308, thus saving a few pennies.
I guess you could also do the good old 30/30, but this time of the year most big box stores have that cal. on sale and you just about can 't reload for $6.95/box.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Depends what your overall intent is. Just want alot of blasting/plinking rifle stuff, 223, 308 or some other military cartridge. Just want a few rounds to plink with, never make it worth your money, buy some generic surplus stuff instead. Most here reload to make a precision tool out of their guns, in time you'll save some $$, initially it's rather expensive.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanx for the expanding questions.

Initially looking at pistol cartridge... However the abundance of 30.06 (generic) brings in a good perspective.

Overall perspective is... establishing a 'generic' caliber in which to reload with. based on cost of casings supplies etc.

A caliber that has knock down power, and use of white tail deer hunting (to keep it simple).

Which caliber casing is the most forgiving ? I recall my dad using .38s in his .357 mag revolver. That type of diversity intrigues me.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hard to beat a .38/.357 in a revolver. Cases will last a long time with mild loads. Bulk cast bullets available. Low power rounds don't pose the problem they might in an auto. A lot of shots per pound of powder.

Think of what components drive the price. Jacketed bullets are probably the biggest cost. I shoot a .45 Colt in a revolver and cast my own bullets. Case life is very long and the bullets are cheap so that is a pretty inexpensive option. Could do the same thing with most any cartridge. Time and equipment for bullet casting are a factor however.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
hands down, a straight walled pistol cartridge used in a revolver or single shot is going to be the most inexpensive to reload, in general. Especially if you cast your own bullets and are re-using brass. You can use powders that only require 5 or 6 grains or powder. Therefore you are truly only paying for the primer, small amount of powder and whatever it cost you for your lead (if anything) and the electricity (if used) to melt it and the lube to lubricate the bullet, either commercial lube or home spun.

Same can be said of rifle cartridges. Except more powder is required and therefore cost increases. The paper patched lead bullet black powder turned smokeless cartridges come to mind.

Lead bullets are good to certain velocities at which point you have to begin using gas checks and paper patching, etc to keep the bore from leading. At this point cost increases some, especially if you decide to go to a jacketed bullet.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Not being a knowledgeable one in reloading. What is the more cost effective cartridge (ok, cheapest) for shooting and reloading. I know some guns/calibers ejection system reneder reloading useless. while some are just plain expensive (.45) ?
I get the feeling that you are talking about handgun cartridges since you mention the .45 which is a popular handgun round without any mention or a common rifle round.

I have to agree with those who have mentioned the straight wall cartridges and the 38 Special will be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If it were rifle the .223 would be the cheapest. .308 and .3006 will cost more for brass, bullets and powder but well within reason to reload for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts