Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just got a new 9mm Taurus Millinium Pro I think it called. I heard that you have to do something special with the caseing to make sure it will feed right into the chamber. Is this true. I have not reloaded any 9mm but I have for my 44 mag. Thanks.Matt

Here is a pic of my new toy.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A taper crimp is used on an auto, v.s. a roll crimp for your revolver. If you bought a set of dies for 9mm, it'll come with a taper crimp die and your all set.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
1) Why would you want to reload for a 9mm??? THere's plenty of ammo out there that you can find at a reasonable price.
2) Personally, I'd pass on any Taurus. Numerous people i know have had problems w/theirs. As a matter of fact, Johnson's in Adrian will not carry Taurus guns because they have had so many come back for repairs. Taurus does make an excellent paper weight though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 9mm round headspaces on the mouth of the case, so it is better to use no crimp or very little crimp. I myself have never bothered to crimp a 9mm .. If you are having any problems with feeding rounds through the gun you might try a very light tapered crimp. If you are going to shoot a lot of targets of just shoot .. Berry bullets makes a very good and cheap bullet for the 9mm. I have had great success with them, they are a copper coated lead bullet that doesn't foul like a non jacketed bullet.. As for Taurus handguns, I have owned a few and never had a problem.. I have a PT 92 that I bought new years ago, and have never had a problem with it ... I have loaded the mag full of different bullet types, weights, powder charges, and different bullet seating depths .. and it will empty the mag everytime without jamming... I would say that if a particular dealer doesn't carry them, it is due more to a low dealer markup than people returning them:D :D Go to a ford dealer and ask them what they think of chevy's

Good luck with your gun, if you decide to use a crimp make sure you start your loads out at the min. A crimp that is too tight can drastically effect pressures.. On guns that have a fairly high amount of recoil like your 44mag, it is best to crimp them to hold the bullets in place .. hope this helps

Dave

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have been reloading hard cast bullets in 9mm for many years. These folks have given mostly good advice. My recommendations would be to trim the cases to the proper length and apply a light taper crimp.

Regarding Taurus handguns, I have owned a PT-99 for about ten years that has been flawless and I would buy another used one if one became available at a local gun shop. All the best...
Gil

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. So far I really love it.

CMR why in the hell would you come back on a thread and say bad stuff about something that someone is excited about. You know I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you know what they say about opnions and a-holes and I guess you seem like the latter.......Matt

Oh yeah and maybe because I love to reload, so I would reload 22 rim fires if I could, just for the heck of it

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Dude, I'm not attacking you....I'm just giving you the heads up. I belong to the G&A forum also and there are alot of reports about the poor quality of Taurus. A friend of mine bought a Millimum model in .45acp and the frame cracked!!! And after doing some research, seems this is a common thing in these pistols.
As a matter of fact, the Raging Bull in .454 can not take the pressure, the cylinder can crack. Just call Johnsons and ask them. Yeah, Taurus does have the lifetime warranty. A few friends of mine have experienced that, a few times too many. I was actually interested in the .480 in the Raging Bull but after calling the Taurus service (which, is the most unfriendly people I've ever talked to) and them saying their handguns are ment to shoot factory loads and not reloads, I quickly changed to Ruger.
If I was looking for a 9mm, I'd look at a CZ handsdown. Great quality!!!

I'm not knocking your purchase, I'm just giving you a warning........its too bad you reacted the way you did.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It IS worth your time to load for the 9mm. I load mine for about $3.50/50 and last time I checked a good price was still about $6. One thing is to seperate your brass as there is a difference in manufactures and brass thickness and length and will affect crimp pressure and quality. I find Remington and Winchester to be about equal while PMC is thicker and Federal to be thinner. All are fine just use the same kind all the time. I use Ranier but lately Midway has had Remington 115's on sale.

I prefer Glocks but your taurus should take thousands of rounds without trouble. The frame cracking thing was a early development common on mostly 45's from what I hear. The only problem that I have witnessed was a fellow shooter who had his front sight come off, so keep an eye on it.

I'm with you on the reloading, I love it. Can't shoot fast enough.

If you really want to give that gun a workout, PM me about IDPA.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Not to open up mended wounds or anything but just thought I'd post this from another board I belong to, the G&A board:

"And there are some people that have owned 5 different Taurus guns, and only ONE of them has not had to make a return trip to the factory to fix a problem. Here is a list:
Taurus PT-22- Broken barrel hinge pin after 40 rounds
Taurus PT-92- Trigger stopped resetting
Taurus 617DAO- Cylinder locked up on the 3 cylinder full
Taurus 445- developed light firing pin strikes after 150 rounds"

"Taurus customer service is abismal, and Taurus ports most every
Revolver they make, a used S&W Revolver beats a Taurus NIB
any day, also the Taurus has a stamped Cylinder stop instead
of a solid milled one as does every other Revolver ever made.
The Taurus Revolvers use very soft metal in areas that should be
much harder, so with heavy use a Taurus will lose its timing faster
than a S&W."

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CMR, have you ever gotten up on the wrong side of the bed? Well the other day I did, and I want to publicly apoligize to you for what I said back to you. Thank you for the heads up on the Taurus I will have to keep my eye on it. Thanks again and again I am sorry for what I posted to your reply.........Matt

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Maddog:
Yup, always get up on the wrong side of the bed, its called going to work :D
Anyhow, no problem....I've done that a few times on other boards and look back and apoligize to others. I respect you for that.
I just want to help people out if I hear of something wrong w/a firearm.
CMR

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have two Taurus handguns and couldn't be happier with them.
I have a Millenium PT 145 that has worked flawlessly so far, about 650 rounds or so. admittedly, it's a little early to come to conclusions. The gun feeds everything thrown at it. It's not the easiest gun to take down and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but the trigger is an issue on most guns in this price range. It's plenty accurate enough for it's intended purposes, self defense.
The other is a Tracker .22 LR revolver that has been absolutely awesome on the range. I would put it up against any factory revolver or auto as far as accuracy goes. I can't do the gun justice with open sights but I have had people shoot it that can and the results have been stellar. This winter a scope will be mounted and the squirrels and bunnies had better take cover.
Taurus has come a long way in the last few years. I know a number of folks who have the pt-92 and swear by them.
I have never used there customer service and hope I don't have to.
My only complaint is the trigger on the .45 but I knew that before I purchased it. I'm not even certain it can be improved. You can bet it will if it can!
CMR, Where on the frame do these cracks seem to develop? I'll have to keep an eye out. I plan to burn plenty of +P rounds and warm handloads so if it's gonna happen that'll be the time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"
CMR, Where on the frame do these cracks seem to develop? I'll have to keep an eye out. I plan to burn plenty of +P rounds and warm handloads so if it's gonna happen that'll be the time.
Swamp,
If it were me, I'd forget the +P idea for the PT145. Below is a quotation that has some history. It's from a forum at www.thefiringline.com, which has shutdown, but can be viewed. The person who wrote this was a RABID Taurus PT145 fan. He would jump on anybody with both feet if they didn't like a single thing about the PT145. There were a number reported frame cracks on this board. You might want to have a talk with your local gunsmith about ammo. I do not know what the folks with problems were putting through their guns. Thought you should know.

"Yes, it's true!! The frame of my Taurus PT145 is cracked. The crack starts at the top corner of the beavertail right below the serial number. It is approx 3mm in length. I was alerted to this by my gunsmith, who has seen several cases all in the same spot or on the other side of the frame. I even saw one that he had that was cracked on both sides"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts