Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kinda got into an argument witha guy after finding out that he was using 3 flies on his line. He claims that it is legal to have up to four hooks on a line. Is this true??

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am not sure if it is true, but I think that it is kinda wrong. It gives us as fishermen an unfair advantage. You could put a different fly on three different spots and determine what is working the best alot faster. It may sound like a good idea but the effort you put in to catch that trophy won't be as rewarding. I feel that one fly/ one hook. is a fair fight
Ya don't see a four barrel rifle all firing at the same deer at once do ya.

Thats how I feel about that but whether it is true or not..ya got me I'd call the DNR for more info...Maybe he has it mixed up with traditional jigging or such?

Dumroese

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not positive but I think it depends on where he was at. I think under general fishing regulations you are allowed multiple hooks however I thought it was 3. If he is on a fly only section of water, I am almost certain he was breaking the regulations. Hey weezer you should carry the DNR books with then you can show the perpetrator the rule in writing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I guess that is up to the fisherman if it is unethical. Me personally, I just like to tie one fly on and see what that gets me. If I get a fish so be it.

But let me say that you did get me on tht one.

I guess it is up to the person doing the fishing. The guy with the three hooks probably thought nothing of it.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Dumroese

·
Registered
446 Posts
consider the guys handlining in the Detroit River for walleye. They are using multiple lures per line. I remember reading that you are allowed up to 2 lines and/or 4 hooks per person. (a lure being considered 1 hook)

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I believe UP Hunter is right, I think the only exception to this is if you are smelt fishing.
Guides who charter came up with a way to run two lures off one line with down riggers. They call them sliders, I tried it last fall and it works great. It stays within the law and allows you to run that extra lure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are special rules which apply to certain bodies of water. Check the Fishing Handbook for these special rules.

The Michigan 2000 Fishing Handbook is on line at http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/ and has this to say about multiple hooks.

HOOK AND LINE FISHING: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be returned to the water. No more than two lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than four hooks or baits may be used. All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted as one hook. Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line for taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler's name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams.

[This message has been edited by mchuber (edited 04-21-2000).]

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally know the person that was using three flies. I don't question his ethics! He was going to release any fish no matter where it was hooked. I guess I wanted to know the law on such a rig.
I feel kinda dirty anytime I have more than one fly on while pursuing Steelhead, however I try not to judge people on their rigs or ethics as long as they aren't breaking any rules!(Sometimes it is a really hard thing to do!)
If anyone can give me a "set in stone" answer I'd appreciate it,(Just so I can put it in my buddies face.) I don't think he'll try that rig anymore anyways.
~RICK

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe Mchuber did give you the set in stone answer in the previous post. Up to 4 flies would be legal. Why wouldn't it be ethical?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I guess I didn't read that well enough! ok that spawns a new question in my mind: What is considered "recognized Smelt water". Does that mean I could put on like 10 waxworms and hit the drain @ singing bridge? Or do the have a list of smelt waters?
# of hooks becomes a ethics question because of the way it is used. Some people use the 2 flies on the redds of steelhead/salmon it really increses the odds of foul hooking! I'll leave it at that.
~Rick

·
Registered
126 Posts
Weezer I read your post above and I think you summed up the whole ethics thing in a very good point about the foul hooking.

I really enjoy this forum because everyone has different opinions yet we can all pretty much agree that fishing ROCKS!, and not get into a heated argument over things.

Alot of learning can take place here. Heck I have learned alot since I registered.

Dumroese

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
The law is 4 hooks, 2 lines, in any combination of, (page 8 of the fish digest) 3 hooks one line and one hook on second line, 4 hooks on one line, etc. Recognized smelt waters are set by law, contact your local DNR District Office for a list of smelt waters. There are somewhat different regs for hooks and lines depending on the waters, Menominee River for one(page 22 of the fish digest).

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
So Boehr if I run two lines with a 3 hook night crawler harness on each, I am in violation of the law?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts