Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
grandpa's got an old canoe we're going to use to float rivers in.. last time it had valid registration was 86 :)
He used to put a 6.5 johnson on the back for power but now we're going to run it without a motor. He mentioned that he might not have to get it registered but then I think he said it's a 17 footer and I just read that if it's over 16 you have to register it?
Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
sirslurpee said:
grandpa's got an old canoe we're going to use to float rivers in.. last time it had valid registration was 86 :)
He used to put a 6.5 johnson on the back for power but now we're going to run it without a motor. He mentioned that he might not have to get it registered but then I think he said it's a 17 footer and I just read that if it's over 16 you have to register it?
Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks!
Here is a link from the Michigan Secratary of State. This explains the regulations and laws for registering a boat or vessel.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_15242-34638--,00.html

Hope this answers the question. According to the statement, as long as it is not motorized, not used for rental or commercial use then your canoe does not need to be registered.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
As long as you don't hang a motor on it you don't need to have it registered. It already was registered at one time and that one has expired. But as long as you're using it without a motor you should be good to go. With a canoe that is unpowered length is not an issue.

John

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
bigcountrysg said:
One thing you might want to do, is cover up or remove the old registration that is on it now.
:yeahthat:
Since it was registered at one time, that would be expired now, you could possibly get a ticket, similar to expired plates on a car.
Rich

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Well you could just use a hair dryer and remove the old registration sticker and the MC numbers. Just make a note of them so that you could re register it later with the same number if you ever decided to put a motor on it at some point. But I don't see how you could get a ticket if you were using it without a motor. If it doesn't have a motor, it's not required to be registered. If a CO decided to write a ticket, let them. Just fight it and explain the situation that you weren't required to have it registered. They would probably drop the ticket.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts