Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I'm recovering(somewhat)from many back procedures and decided Sunday it was time to check bearing on old trailer I got(Had 2 sell my good one).
Since I was offered help with regular yard work I proceded to show neighbor kid how to jack up a boat trailer and take a tire off;)
First side was fine and was ready to pull off dust cover on second only to find water run out......oh no. The outer bearing was destroyed. Well jumped in truck and bought new inner and outer bearings. I took hub with me, guy sold me all and I found out hub wobbles....bend something. Not knowing this trailer I went and bought new hub but I believe axle is bent.
I just can't get ahead.
I'm only trying to remind you all that a day like this could be very expensive and dangerous along side of a road.
I will now be saving up to find a bigger trailer for a 15' Mirrocraft so it can sit low and I "MAY" be able to step down into boat and so I have bigger axle.
I hope to find one before all the fish in Erie are gone,LOL
CHECK YOUR BEARINGS ALL

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Good post and excellent thread!

One more thing before you hit the road, throw a jack under the axle one side at time, lift it just high enough to roll the wheel. Give it a roll and a shake to see if anything is going on that's not supposed to and allow you to fix it before it breaks. This little exercise could help keep you off the shoulder of the road when you don't want be! :D

Also, it doesn't hurt to check the air pressure in your spare tire every once in a while too. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
A friend of mine has a complete hub assembly that holds his spare - when I first saw it, I thought - Brilliance!!! Come to find out, he learned the hard way about how bad it sucks to be sitting on the side of the road with bearing issues.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
About 1990, bearing go bad on my first boat on Sunday at Port Austin. Had a miserable time to find a bearing and change it. Since then I am carrying a tool box with spare bearing and tools to change I. Also, plug to fix a flat tire and compressor. I have not used it yet but I am sure if I forget to take it one time, I will need it.

About packing the bearings with grease, most newer better trailer have a grease system that when you fill it with grease gun, grease goes through the rollers and pushes the old grease out from front or back of the hub. For this kind, you do not need to remove the hub and pack the bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
About 1990, bearing go bad on my first boat on Sunday at Port Austin. Had a miserable time to find a bearing and change it. Since then I am carrying a tool box with spare bearing and tools to change I. Also, plug to fix a flat tire and compressor. I have not used it yet but I am sure if I forget to take it one time, I will need it.

About packing the bearings with grease, most newer better trailer have a grease system that when you fill it with grease gun, grease goes through the rollers and pushes the old grease out from front or back of the hub. For this kind, you do not need to remove the hub and pack the bearings.
QFT

BTW - I hear the "oil" encased system is the best one going... I have bearing buddies and keep them filled, but just what I heard.

·
Super Moderator
37,763 Posts
QFT

BTW - I hear the "oil" encased system is the best one going... I have bearing buddies and keep them filled, but just what I heard.
They are. I have had oil bath bearings for years on class 7 & 8 trucks, never wiped out a bearing. Oil bath bearings on the 8 yr old boat trailer, never a wimper from the thing. Just last week I changed bearings on a friends utility trailer, and told him to order oil bath hubs.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Great post...I have "Easy Lube spindles" which let me completely flush the grease out of the bearings without removing them...did it Yesterday (My mid-year "repack"). Kinda anal about my bearings.

For <$10 worth of grease, I don't want to be the guy with his boat on the side of the road while he goes to buy a new spindle/bearings/seals...possibly a tire too.

Marty

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Since I already have an 18 volt combo set with batteries it only made sense to get this handy little tool too!

Here's something I added to my "emergency road kit", a milk crate the contains a pair of mechanics gloves, brown jersey gloves, a jump box/air compressor, a lug kit, my 18 volt flashlight, a quart of oil, a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze, a spray can of Kroil or PB Blaster along with an assortment of tools like a good pair of channel lock, wrenches and sockets along with a "lock out kit" that I've had to use rescuing more than one set of keys that were safely locked in a car! :D

I also quit worrying about using the jack my car/truck/van came with, picked up a nice little hydraulic jack from Sears that came in nice plastic case. I keep an extra long breaker bar in it along with the standard 3/4-13/16 and 19-21 mm deep well sockets that will fit most any light duty lug nut.

With this jack and 18 volt impact I can change a flat on the side of the road in the time that would challenge most NASCAR pit crews! :yikes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One last thing and I'll get off my soapbox; Taking the time to perform routine maintenance before you hit the road is sure way to decrease your chances of having any issues while out. Knock on wood, I've been very fortunate and have used my tools and jack helping others out more than I have to on my own stuff. ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Don't use your zerk fitting to "repack" your bearings. The other end of the hole from the zerk goes to the back side of your inner bearing between your seal and bearing. If you have brakes on the trailer more than likely you will push grease past the seal and ruin your brakes. I think those zerk fittings on axles are a joke. Trailer frames companies that I deal with recommend 12,000 miles then repack them. Seen lots of trailers where the customer just put a couple of pumps of grease in and there brakes don't seem to work as good anymore. Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When a bearing goes, you might lose the tire too - - - axle height is very LOW at this point, most jacks do not fit under the axle.....something to test drive at home, not on I94 at 5:30AM - - - I did learn something then.

·
Registered
26,599 Posts
While you're at it, lower the spare on your truck and lube everything. I do this twice per year, minimum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts