Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Jeff Foiles piled up the bands by throwing bread to park ducks and shooting them with a pellet gun.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
That said tell me you've never rolled road kill hoping to find jewelry :)

Buddy has shot a pile of birds, no bands, but has one from a conibear trap on a spring creek, one street meat, and a harlequin from beach combing in Maine.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Somewhere between stage 4 and stage 5.

Managed to get the 10 year old out this year for a few trips. He pulled a couple ducks but for him it's more about being included. Duck hunting to duck hunt...eh...Camping to camp...eh..Getting to go camp and hangout PLUS duck hunt...COOL. Never did get his greenhead.

Quantity of birds down. But this year wasn't about numbers.

Quality was way up. Kept the circle super small. Had a lot of fun.

My dad told me he got his 12 gauge out the other day. And then asked me to take him goose hunting next year. He hasn't shot that gun in nearly 30 years.

My son just asked me if we could hunt the split this weekend. Absolutely.

Season isn't done yet either. Still like to make one last run on WW geese next week.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am 65 and had a quad bypass last Dec and my hunting partner is 77. We both walk out and hunt some of the most foul weather and still enjoy it. Hope to have a few more years doing this. I am taking my great nephew now who is 12 and is just fascinated with duck hunting Actually all sports it seems. He loved trout fishing this summer with me and grouse hunting behind a pointing dog this fall. So it is nice to see the excitement in the young guy and it gives me more interest in the hunt now. Hope he shoots a duck next year.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I am 65 and had a quad bypass last Dec and my hunting partner is 77. We both walk out and hunt some of the most foul weather and still enjoy it. Hope to have a few more years doing this. I am taking my great nephew now who is 12 and is just fascinated with duck hunting Actually all sports it seems. He loved trout fishing this summer with me and grouse hunting behind a pointing dog this fall. So it is nice to see the excitement in the young guy and it gives me more interest in the hunt now. Hope he shoots a duck next year.
One of these years me and my dad have to hunt with you and your boy. Would be a good time..Ill bring the cubans...Lol..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last day for ducks, went to lake and boat blind, cold as heck..but as I sat there with not many ducks flying..I realized that how blessed I am at 72 to be able to do this and bowhunt everyday, and lets just sum it up and say didnt kill many duck, but it was a fantastic year to be able to do it all! Refuse to believe that it getting closer to not being able to do this...so will keep on till I cant, and pray that I go out doing what I have loved for many years. Stay safe and Happy Holidays
You are truly blessed. My dad at 74 can not do it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
633 Posts
At 71 i have nothing but good wishes and thoughts for those young and old that enjoy water fowling,from John Kalashs first two man wood layout boat hunting bills off Fermi,flooded timber in Ark,Toledo Bin reservoir in Texas and the pot holes of N Dakota i ve been blessed. Some of my best friends have been my 4 legged companions that rest here at home that never complained and taught me to never give up. Iam grateful as those of you here are aware for the multitude of life experiences generated by torn waders,sunken boats,missed shots,and friends made.A stiff wind is a true wind!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm almost 50 now and have been at this for almost 40 years. My dad is too old (82) to get out with us anymore but I'm grateful that he showed my brothers and me how to do it the right way. We've hunted almost everything from mallards on the small streams and marshes of west Michigan to divers on the bigger waters of Munuscong and Saginaw Bay and all the way to the Dakotas a handful of times.

I still get a lot of excitement for cold, windy, gray mornings on the water with good friends and family but am getting more and more enjoyment every year watching my boys develop a love for hunting ducks.

Whatever stage you are in, there is nothing quite like duck hunting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It for sure gets into your blood..cost me a marriage, but made the sacrifice! Im sure alot will agree..you will find out that this hunting, fishing or whatever your passion is, that its not what you kill or catch...its about the memoies and friends you meet along the way!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You both are welcome in my boat anytime. What a great attitude of being grateful for what you have. Even if it doesn’t mean the best spot and the best shooting.

I would love to have you in the blind telling tales all morning. I am afraid the younger generation doesn’t value that. They only care about posting their kill on Facebook to get approval from people that they never see. They stress and obsess about being seen.

They need to hear you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I am a high school teacher and spend all day with the "younger generation". Yes 100% there are those who don't understand the "rules" so many talk about on this forum. However, because the small minority publicize their videos, or kill charts or fill in the blank does not mean this is the majority. The young guys most of you struggle with are vocal or posting videos, so they come across as the majority of teenagers. The overwhelming majority of teenagers I spend day in day out with are great outdoorsmen and women. They love talking about the anticipation of going hunting, or deer camp or spending time with elders. Also, some teenagers do NOT have role models to teach them they way many of us were raised or taught how to hunt. I continue to take teenagers out and if they want to be on their phones, show up late, unprepared, or hunt in a manner I don't agree with we just don't take them. However, I find these type of young hunters tend to be few and far between. Lastly, what bothers me as much as the videos or kill chart teenagers is us elder statesman having this holier than though attitude to anything we disagree with. There are several nasty threads on this forum because older hunters get down right nasty and critical of others and the way they hunt (even when legal). Look at how people treat Everdaylimits on here. Do I agree with everything the kid does no? Have some tried to help him on rules yes (bag limits), but boy the vast majority of older hunters are downright nasty with him and vocal too. I feel that giving teenagers advice, without being accusatory, is a better role model than ripping the younger kids. No wonder why the teenagers get defensive when they get ripped apart on a forum.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I'm 57. The stage I'm in depends on where we are in the season. I'm definitely stage 3 early, until I think I have enough meat in the freezer.
By mid November, I don't even shoot, I run the layout tender because I don't trust anyone to run my rig, and I like to see my layout boats get used. So, I become an unpaid outfitter including lodging.
Its a lot more fun having guys cycle through bringing me food than hunting solo...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am a high school teacher and spend all day with the "younger generation". Yes 100% there are those who don't understand the "rules" so many talk about on this forum. However, because the small minority publicize their videos, or kill charts or fill in the blank does not mean this is the majority. The young guys most of you struggle with are vocal or posting videos, so they come across as the majority of teenagers. The overwhelming majority of teenagers I spend day in day out with are great outdoorsmen and women. They love talking about the anticipation of going hunting, or deer camp or spending time with elders. Also, some teenagers do NOT have role models to teach them they way many of us were raised or taught how to hunt. I continue to take teenagers out and if they want to be on their phones, show up late, unprepared, or hunt in a manner I don't agree with we just don't take them. However, I find these type of young hunters tend to be few and far between. Lastly, what bothers me as much as the videos or kill chart teenagers is us elder statesman having this holier than though attitude to anything we disagree with. There are several nasty threads on this forum because older hunters get down right nasty and critical of others and the way they hunt (even when legal). Look at how people treat Everdaylimits on here. Do I agree with everything the kid does no? Have some tried to help him on rules yes (bag limits), but boy the vast majority of older hunters are downright nasty with him and vocal too. I feel that giving teenagers advice, without being accusatory, is a better role model than ripping the younger kids. No wonder why the teenagers get defensive when they get ripped apart on a forum.
Amen brother.

It is up to us and only us to set a good example. Yea there are a incredible amount of trolls on here that thrive on bashing people. Everyday limits threads are a good example. We can definitely do better at coming along side our fellow hunters. I am Guilty of many sins against my neighbors.

Entitled vs Grateful. Selfish vs selfless.

I appreciate your comments and I think this is a fantastic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
183 Posts
Abi13 you are spot on great post.
Just use a few paragraphs next time teach. sorry had to say it, all in fun.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Everyday Limits needs a lesson in humility and respect. You get it back if you give it. He only posts his videos. Don't see him answering questions or offering up hunts for newbies.

We don't discriminate on who gets ripped here. One perpetual target appears to be in his 60's and still comes back for more ribbing.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Even deer hunting. posts “Passed this buck today in the stand”. Telling everyone it’s not good enough for them, taking it even farther than bragging about their supreme ability to kill deer.
Yea there are a incredible amount of trolls on here that thrive on bashing people.
I'd say :bonk:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Everyday Limits needs a lesson in humility and respect. You get it back if you give it. He only posts his videos. Don't see him answering questions or offering up hunts for newbies.

We don't discriminate on who gets ripped here. One perpetual target appears to be in his 60's and still comes back for more ribbing.

Yea I made a shiddy thread earlier this year that got me spanked. Haven't seen me do it since though.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts