Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was just wondernig if i could get a little help on what combo to buy. Im a poor college student but my g/f gave me a $75 dollar gift certificate to cabelas so i want to get some Salmon fishing stuff and we need some new rods and reels.

The poles are going to be used to set up dipsy divers.... And i was thinking about the Accudepth line counter combos from cabelas. 10'6 rods with either the AD47 or AD57 reels... which one is better for running dipsys?

and is the diawa a better reel to go with or is okuma?...

thanks for any help guys
-Craig

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I know alot of guys wont agree but they apparently have high income or are just big talkers but i would buy the depthmaster 2 s they are good quality and cabelas really stands behind their products. also they very affordable.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
HunterHawk said:
Hey guys i was just wondernig if i could get a little help on what combo to buy. Im a poor college student but my g/f gave me a $75 dollar gift certificate to cabelas so i want to get some Salmon fishing stuff and we need some new rods and reels.

The poles are going to be used to set up dipsy divers.... And i was thinking about the Accudepth line counter combos from cabelas. 10'6 rods with either the AD47 or AD57 reels... which one is better for running dipsys?

and is the diawa a better reel to go with or is okuma?...

thanks for any help guys
-Craig
Personally, I would use the $75 for two Diawa Heartland Dipsey Rods(10'6') and some terminal tackle, then find two Diawa SG47LC or SG47LCA reels used or on sale. I have a dozen SG47LC's, many of which I got for less than $50 each. Rods are rods are rods, but cheap reels lose fish. If you are running mono dipseys(which I wouldnt) you could probably run a AD. The new AD's are supposed to be far superior, but I havent seen one in action. Some guys like their Okumas. The ones I have used, I have been less than impressed with. This is all from personal experiance using the reels mentioned here. What do you plan on running on your dipsey setups??(Wire, PP, Fire, Mono)??

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
duckhunter382 said:
I know alot of guys wont agree but they apparently have high income or are just big talkers but i would buy the depthmaster 2 s they are good quality and cabelas really stands behind their products. also they very affordable.
Just because someone suggests a higher quality product that may cost more based on personal experiance using lessor quality products, it doesnt mean they "have higher income" or "are just big talkers". It may be because they believe it is assinine to lose the biggest fish of your life and ruin a fishing trip due to equipment malfunction cause you wanted to skimp and save $20 on a inferior reel. Nobody bashed your suggestion. Why don't you just throw it out there instead of coming in on the offense??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
First you need to sit down and figure out what you want to do. Do you want to peice together a salmon spread and have all mismatching equipment that works sometimes for you, or do you want to buy a manufactures whole line up of rods and reels that each has its own purpose and is made for that only. Wire rods that last forever are not cheap. Heartlands rods are nice....the old ones I'm talking about.... the 10'6" for fireline, wire with twilly tip, and for all the lead core setups have made me happy. The eyes will get cuts in them from 7 strand wire, so don't be shocked when you need to replace them with something stronger.... buy another rod or you should have bought a wire dipsy rod and will never have it. A 25 pound king will wreck the eyes on a standard dipsy rod when used with wire. Than you may not notice it at first, but when the wire hangs up in the eyes when a king hits it will snap the rod in half when you ynk it out of the rod holder. I broke a rod doing this, now I have made sure it will not happen again. Ugly stick makes a fine downrigger rod. I would buy them over any Down rigger rod out there. Good action, well made and a warranty unlike any body elses. Good reels to match them are okumas 45's but you could do with Daiwas sealines which are nice. To make the reels last longer... any reel for that matter, get them serviced after every season. Reels don't work very long when theres not enough grease or when drag washers are bad. Usually after one overhaul the reels better than new.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE! I've bought and returned 8 depthmasters in the last 3 years from Cabela's. Drag sucks and will suddenly stick...loosing fish and or gear and or break your rod. I've found the Shakespeare Tidewater 30LCL to be superior. I have 9 of these on my boat now that I use for spring fishing on riggers, boards, and small dipsys. If you are just getting into salmon fishing, start with some basics...and then when you get more serious into it (and you WILL) buy some wire set-ups ... ie roller rods, and Diawa SG47LCA's. Your $75 should buy you 2 reels, and the rods will basically come along with the package. Work with the sales guy behind the counter for a deal on combo's. Also, watch the mail for those coupons. If you don't have a Cabela's visa card...GET ONE! They periodically send out specials like spend over $100 and get $30 off your purchase! That will definately get you 2 combo's for your $75 certificate. But most of all...have fun!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the imput guys.... I believe i am going to go with the combos i found at cabelas like i said the Accudepth line counter combos with the 10'6 dipsy poles and diawa AD47's i guess they quit making the 57's i went to lake erie fishing for walleye today and stopped at cabelas on the way home... i wasnt driving so i didnt know if we were going to stop or not so i didnt take my gift certificate... well we ended up stopping so i looked them over and talked to the guys and they said that would work just fine and i think we will be running fire line off the dipsys..... we will see how they work this season.... live and learn i guess but i really liked those new reels so we will see how they work i guess.
thanks for the imput.
-Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts