Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been on Reeds now almost 10 times so far and have one speck to show for it! Each time has been approx. 4 hrs., 12 holes, (at least) a ton of walking, and countless minnows. I've tried different depths as well as times of day. I can't figure it out. The guys I talk to tell me the same thing. "Marking fish, but can't get them to bite."

I even used the barometer tonight. (28.9 at 9:00 pm) I'm pretty sure that's lower than it's been for a while. I just can't figure it out.

Any ideas?...Sid

·
Registered
123 Posts
Weird, last year it had to be one of the hottest spots around. I've never fished Reeds, but live just north of town and enjoyed reading all of the posts last year when guys were slaying them.

I've fished a number of lakes this year and the story seems to be the same everywhere - fish are just looking. The only exception has been Silver Lake, where I found some biters, but unfortunately they were 4 to 5 inch perch.

Did you see where Gander Mountain is having a Crappy Showdown? Last January, my fishing buddy and I were doing very will on the Specs. So far this January we've tallied two. First place is a Shappell S3000, so you might want to keep trying. They gotta turn on sooner or later.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weird, last year it had to be one of the hottest spots around.
That's true. Last year was almost more like "catching" than "fishing" out there. I don't need a limit every time out by any means, but a few for the frying pan would be nice. Pretty frustrating.
Take care...Sid

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried it again tonight with the same results. I talked to a couple of guys who said that a couple of other guys had just left and caught 25 specks. I asked if they actually saw the fish, they didn't, and we came to the conclusion that they were full of baloney! (Baloney substituted for non-family type language!!) Oh well, gotta keep trying. They have to turn on sometime!!
Good luck...Sid

·
Registered
618 Posts
are you using a vex ? that's the onlt way i find crappie.you never know how far off the bottem they are.keep at it you'll find'em

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, no vex yet. That's coming soon I hope. Last year I had no trouble finding them. In 40-50 FOW they were always around 8-10 feet off bottom. The guys with flashers seem to find them there now, they just don't seem interested. Like it's been said before, they gotta get hungry sometime!
Take care...Sid

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Get versatile. Try a waxie, maggot, or spike. Try two to a hook. Try #14 hooks with a mousie, or different color tear drops. Try facing the east and chanting softly. :) Try a plain #12 Gold colored hook with the smallest minnow you can find in the bucket. Try a "dry fly" on a piece of 1 lb. off you main line. Try, Try, Try !!!
Good Luck !

:D :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was on Reeds on Thur. for a few hours, the only one out there, and no fish. Yes last year was a super year, and the water was clear, now I can't see my spoon after about 3 feet, that could be the difference from last year, but they still have to feed sometime. More people on the ice would help to try to figure them out.Most of the people are waiting for the good reports before they go out, but you don't catch to many fish in front of the computer.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,425 Posts
IS it possible,
You need to try it at an "OFF" time , like 2AM or mid-day?
They ARE eating , just NOT what you have , WHEN you offer it....:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B&D....I've heard and noticed myself that the lake is cloudy this year. I'll bet that has everything to do with it.

sfw...I usually do try it at odd times and have come to the conclusion that I'm gonna have to travel more than 5 minutes away in order to find some fish!

Oh well, I've been out there a few times since my last post a week or so ago and it's still tough. I'll let you all know if it picks up a little.
Take care...Sid

·
Registered
123 Posts
The lack of a spec bite, might not be unique to Reeds.

I have not done well at all for specs on any of the lakes that I fish that frequently give them up.

As someone else suggested, it might be time to try some different depths and times on my favorite Spec lakes.

Have been picking up some 'gills just before dark, but the bite is so short that one is lucky to leave with 6 or 8 gills.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I haven't fished Reeds yet this winter but have been catching quite a few Specks while jigging Gills on other area lakes.
They seem to take a liking to white Moonglows tipped with one white and one red spike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts