Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While Shed hunting last week, I found a red-tailed hawk that had a broken right wing. I was able to take the animal back to my house and get ahold of the DNR, who gave me some numbers of some raptor rehibilitators in my area. The bird seemed real weak and I was figuring it hadn't eaten in awhile. Anyways, I got the bird to one of these rehibilitators, but unfortunately they said the break was to severe and couldn't be fixed, and they put the bird down. I guess at least he isn't out there suffering, and starving to death anymore.

Jay

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's a shame. When I lived in Florida there was a rehab group that used previously injured but non-flying raptors to educate folks about the birds and offer a chance to see them up close. They had a real nice display canopy set up for festivals and other public events, with the birds sitting comfortably on perchs. You couldn't get close enough to touch and they carefully monitered the birds and the people. Some of the birds had the head coverings used by falconers. When not on "display" the birds live at their ranch and only get penned at night. The rest of the time they are out and on their perches. Not an ideal situation for a regal bird of prey but better than the alternative.

One of the things they tried to educate people about was to be careful when driving. Apparently some species are often hit by cars while dining on their prey.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts