Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone on here thinks the Red Oak Unit it is too large. In regards to high bear density in certain areas with limited access to the general public.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
My feelings are quite contrary.

I welcome the new boundaries and certainly don't know of any access issues.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I quess I don't understand how with such a large hunt unit the DNR can manage bear density or even keep track of it inside the unit. Of cource I know people hunt where the bear are but where I'm at it's all private. Almost 30,000 acres of land-loc private land where bear numbers have grown threw the roof in the last ten years. Everyone know's how long it takes to get a permit in Red Oak, I've heard alot of people complaining in my area because they can't manage the Bear like they can the Deer on there own land. Although they still wont let others on there land to harvest there bear either. I'll admit I don't know a bunch about this just what I see and hear. One of the clubs close to us did a study last year which showed out of 10,000 acres only three bear were taken and only four permits were issued for people hunting that area.

Eddie

·
Registered
284 Posts
I feel for you, but look at the U.P. units, especially Newberry, its the whole East half of the U.P. I am sure there is more bear country there and could support more than 400 hundred (+,-) hunters during the 1st and second hunts. I think quotas would be the way to go.....Then every body gets to hunt. Works for sturgeon!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts