Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an incredibly frustrating week of bear hunting that ended with one of the best hunts of my bear hunting career! Had the pleasure of sharing camp with father in-law, brother in-law who took off the full week to help me hunt and many great friends! Had 9 other camp members come and go throughout the week.

Sunday started with a bang had the bear in the first picture hitting regularly between 740-8:30pm and while I’m a hounder I grew up in a bait hunting family and knew I had to try this giant bear from the stand! My buddy and I were in the tree at 3:45pm about 7:40 I heard one twig break and looked over my shoulder to the south east and at about 9 yards stood a magnificent bear. I told my buddy good bear good bear and he flipped on the camera to watch this magnificent animal walk directly under our tree at about 3 yards in heavy brush and about 10 yards from the bait barrel which was in a 20 x 20 natural opening in the swamp. He stopped and stood in the brush 3-5 yards from our stand staring at the barrel and walked out of my life and bear camp week with an awesome encounter after capturing it all on video people back at camp were pumped watching the footage. The next morning Monday I drove directly to the bait and checked the card and found he was there shortly after midnight on the 16th dropped the cold trailers and trailed him about 3.9 miles down into all private property and had to pull the dogs and try something else about 9:30am which didn’t get jumped on much smaller bear

Tuesday-Friday the warm weather rolled in and movement really slowed down we grubbed and grubbed for a track or a bait and never even jumped a bear. We had treed 13 bears this summer and were really high on the pack going into real time but I was quickly finding out running any old bear in training season was far different then hunting down one of 3 target bears we had set our sights on.

Saturday we started off a bait with one of our target bears. During the cold trail our two start dogs split one heading SW hard jumped and other trailing north. The jumped bear was rolling towards the highway which is never a fun run. When the bear crossed we had already cut some dogs into the race and we found it wasn’t the bear we had put down hoping to trail off the bait and was a much smaller bear. Before we had caught all the dogs off the little bear it had decided to cross the highway 4 times! Picture two is trying to catch dogs tree the bear and go back for the big one. After finally catching all the dogs off the little runner a truck pulled up and said we just saw a “huge” bear cross the black top and I quickly said can you show me exactly where and there like no problem drove up threw down dogs and they were jumped off tailgate and rolling good after a long walking bay type run and thinking we were on a “huge” bear we walked into a 125lb bear in a tree which is picture 3! It was already pushing noon in hot temps so we decided that was the day and headed back to camp

When we got back to camp I checked the weather and saw the heavy rain moving in Sunday about 11am going into Monday morning hours and I was nervous. Tag soup was a real possibility and looking more and more likely. My cousin showed up late Saturday night and said your shooting a bear tomorrow and I’ll be home in time for work Monday morning. I literally LOL’d after the frustrating week we’d had up until this point. We were up and at it early Sunday am driving roads and we located what looked like a great bear track and what I believed was one of the target bears! We dropped red and Rufus and they trailed .9 miles to one of our baits and them headed NW. The radio cracked and my other cousin says there is a real nice Bobcat in the road and I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re on. I was very dejected knowing time was running out especially with the weather coming. I asked how close are they and are you 100% positive he replies they are under 200 and coming right to spot it crossed I was bumming hard when radio cracked bear in the road and it’s a good one get over here. It’s a long drive around the section and by the time I got there Rufus, Red, Brody, Brutis, Maverick and Stella had him treed up and ready for me. I jumped out of the truck made the short 200 yard dash up the ridge and got ready for the shot with a solid rest across a small maple......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When all dogs were tied back and out of harms way I leveled the cross hairs and shot one of my target bears out of the triple maple he had climbed for his last stand! Oh the excitement after such tough hunt where we just couldn’t catch a break was so rewarding and exciting! I had just harvested a 275lb dressed boar
and one of our 3 target bears this season! It was a great hunt and another great Bear Camp in the Northwoods! I was that last Smith boy I harvest his bear and I couldn’t think of a better way to do it then with family and a bunch of great hunting buddies!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
That's a great bear, and a great season. I've been wondering all week how you did after following your training season pics on here. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a fun but challenging hunt was hoping for 250 or bigger got it done super happy about that

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Loved the story & that’s a nice bear! I’ve seen a lotta things in the woods & adjacent roads but never had the privilege of seeing a bear and hound pack on a highway! What a hunt.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loved the story & that’s a nice bear! I’ve seen a lotta things in the woods & adjacent roads but never had the privilege of seeing a bear and hound pack on a highway! What a hunt.
If I never see it again I’ll be a very happy houndsmen! Typically we’d just cut additional dogs and catch the bear and hold it but just didn’t want to take chances after he crossed so many times and we certainly didn’t want to lose a dog

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Awesome and congrats!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: SMITTY1233

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
What an incredibly frustrating week of bear hunting that ended with one of the best hunts of my bear hunting career! Had the pleasure of sharing camp with father in-law, brother in-law who took off the full week to help me hunt and many great friends! Had 9 other camp members come and go throughout the week.

Sunday started with a bang had the bear in the first picture hitting regularly between 740-8:30pm and while I’m a hounder I grew up in a bait hunting family and knew I had to try this giant bear from the stand! My buddy and I were in the tree at 3:45pm about 7:40 I heard one twig break and looked over my shoulder to the south east and at about 9 yards stood a magnificent bear. I told my buddy good bear good bear and he flipped on the camera to watch this magnificent animal walk directly under our tree at about 3 yards in heavy brush and about 10 yards from the bait barrel which was in a 20 x 20 natural opening in the swamp. He stopped and stood in the brush 3-5 yards from our stand staring at the barrel and walked out of my life and bear camp week with an awesome encounter after capturing it all on video people back at camp were pumped watching the footage. The next morning Monday I drove directly to the bait and checked the card and found he was there shortly after midnight on the 16th dropped the cold trailers and trailed him about 3.9 miles down into all private property and had to pull the dogs and try something else about 9:30am which didn’t get jumped on much smaller bear

Tuesday-Friday the warm weather rolled in and movement really slowed down we grubbed and grubbed for a track or a bait and never even jumped a bear. We had treed 13 bears this summer and were really high on the pack going into real time but I was quickly finding out running any old bear in training season was far different then hunting down one of 3 target bears we had set our sights on.

Saturday we started off a bait with one of our target bears. During the cold trail our two start dogs split one heading SW hard jumped and other trailing north. The jumped bear was rolling towards the highway which is never a fun run. When the bear crossed we had already cut some dogs into the race and we found it wasn’t the bear we had put down hoping to trail off the bait and was a much smaller bear. Before we had caught all the dogs off the little bear it had decided to cross the highway 4 times! Picture two is trying to catch dogs tree the bear and go back for the big one. After finally catching all the dogs off the little runner a truck pulled up and said we just saw a “huge” bear cross the black top and I quickly said can you show me exactly where and there like no problem drove up threw down dogs and they were jumped off tailgate and rolling good after a long walking bay type run and thinking we were on a “huge” bear we walked into a 125lb bear in a tree which is picture 3! It was already pushing noon in hot temps so we decided that was the day and headed back to camp

When we got back to camp I checked the weather and saw the heavy rain moving in Sunday about 11am going into Monday morning hours and I was nervous. Tag soup was a real possibility and looking more and more likely. My cousin showed up late Saturday night and said your shooting a bear tomorrow and I’ll be home in time for work Monday morning. I literally LOL’d after the frustrating week we’d had up until this point. We were up and at it early Sunday am driving roads and we located what looked like a great bear track and what I believed was one of the target bears! We dropped red and Rufus and they trailed .9 miles to one of our baits and them headed NW. The radio cracked and my other cousin says there is a real nice Bobcat in the road and I’m pretty sure that’s what we’re on. I was very dejected knowing time was running out especially with the weather coming. I asked how close are they and are you 100% positive he replies they are under 200 and coming right to spot it crossed I was bumming hard when radio cracked bear in the road and it’s a good one get over here. It’s a long drive around the section and by the time I got there Rufus, Red, Brody, Brutis, Maverick and Stella had him treed up and ready for me. I jumped out of the truck made the short 200 yard dash up the ridge and got ready for the shot with a solid rest across a small maple......

I'm real confused. Why didn't you shoot that first night at nine yards?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm real confused. Why didn't you shoot that first night at nine yards?
I was facing NE my buddy was facing SW on same tree in stand bear walked under his stand in very thick swamp bait was in a natural opening and bear never came to bait and offered no shot. Really never left the thick brush outside if being directly under my buddies stand he filmed entire encounter pretty cool can’t figure out how to get video on here

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If I never see it again I’ll be a very happy houndsmen! Typically we’d just cut additional dogs and catch the bear and hold it but just didn’t want to take chances after he crossed so many times and we certainly didn’t want to lose a dog

I kinda figured ya weren’t too happy about that. At least you gave some drivers something they won’t forget for awhile.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
Great bruin Kris, congrats!

Reactions: SMITTY1233
1 - 20 of 31 Posts