Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to vent. I had a Rutger .44 mag carbine that was jaming on me. took it to the local gun smith advised him if it could be fixed to cycle properly would like to put a red dot scope on it. I'm losing the iron sights in low light or thick brush. Told him I have no experience with red dots, what does he recomend? Well he calls me back and says it's all ready to go cycles good and he put a red dot scope on that will remain nameless. Well I put about 15 rounds through it and no more red dot. Battery dead right, nope I tried two different new batteries, nothing. Well I called the gun smith and he told me that I would have to send it back to the manufaturer. Now this is a scope he picked out and sold me and mounted, even after I advised him not to skimp or put any thing cheap on there $ is not an issue. Great openig day four day's away and still no low light level ability.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You Should have had this done ALLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time ago.

People waiting to have work done on a gun just b-4 the season starts allways rubs me wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or he could have put on a top quality scope and not the cheapest ones out there. I just checked and the one on it is the cheapest no name brand available. I see you get what you pay for but that is not what I asked for.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Maybe the gun wasn't jamming a long time ago. I would contact the smith and see what he could do about putting another new scope on that works. Tell him you need it now, not 2 months from now. Whatever happens, I wouldn't go back to that guy.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ARCHIE H.
I advised him not to skimp or put any thing cheap on there $ is not an issue.

Sounds like the guy you have been taking your gun to is not very bright. If money was not an issue I would have put on the most expensive red dot you could find and mark it up 250%. Are you sure you didn't mention some kind spending limit?

Doctor

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doctor I'm glad you asked that, absolutly I would have done the same thing the best I could find. No spending limit. He had woked on another gun earlier when he got it working he called me and told me about a leapould he had said it was expensive. My exact words were I'm not worried about that, If that's what you recomend let's do it. After all he's the expert, did'nt even ask what the price tag was doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess you know where not to take your business in the future.

But, if you had more time you might have faired a little better. I seen red dots as cheap as $29. You might as well buy another red dot and install it yourself. Heck anything must be better than a non functional scope.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SteveS I did call him right away. His response was It should be under warranty he told me I could send it in for a replacement. He's right I checked out the paper work and I can send it back as long as I have the reciept. No reciept just paid cash. He said he would give me a reciept. Well that's just great get reciept send it in a few weeks from now I get the same exact bargain basement scope, I dont't think so. I'll find somebody who has some experience with these and get a good one. Some were else.

·
Registered
635 Posts
HAVE THEM PUT ANOTHER ONE ON AT THIER EXPENSE THEN THEY CAN SEND IT IN THEMSELVES IF THEY NEED ANOTHER ONE.
QUALITY WORK NOWADAYS IS FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
I've used a Leupold-Gilmore red dot scope on my .44mag. revolver for I think 3 years now. No problems whatsoever. It's great for the range I do most of my shooting in....about 30-35yds. max.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Originally posted by archie holst
No reciept just paid cash.
Since when don't you get a receipt when paying cash for ANYTHING? Heck, I even get a receipt from Wendy's when I get my $5.14 #2 combo.

And any reputable business should not make you go through the warranty hassle if the product craps out on you the first time you use it. Have 'em replace it right then and there!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I would really get on his case though.

You have nothing to loose if your done doing business with him.

Sometime you need to apply a little pressure to get results.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts