Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started out as a beautiful, cool morning quickly turned into a steamer by the time the dogs started running. Add to that a lost dog, everyone forgetting to bring enough water, juvenile quail, and only a few hours to get everything done, and it is easy to see how the promising morning had the potential to turn into a very bad day.

Luckily that was not the case. Once all of the dogs were accounted for we free flew our quail from various points on the training grounds and decided to give Tecumseh a shot at running with Jake [kek25]. Both Jake and Tecumseh found quail and Jake pointed a pheasant. Tecumseh worked over to the area where Jake was on point and we were pretty sure he honored Jake's point and while backing was able to pick up the scent as well. Since Tecumseh doesn't run that often with other dogs, that was probably his first real opportunity to back another dog.

Later in the run Jake located a quail and Tecumseh moved in and pointed slightly behind Jake. It was nice to see that, while Tecumseh didn't honor Jake from a distance, he didn't move in past Jake on the point. One pic shows that situation. The scenting conditions were absolutely horrible with the extremely thick grass, no breeze, and steamy conditions close to the ground.

The other pic is of Roy [Kek25] pointing a quail. We were working him on relocating with manners and he did an outstanding job.

All the dogs made it home safe, Jake has several points on pheasants [early in the cool part of the morning before the other dogs got out], Roy got some nice work in, Tech looks to be turning the corner with other dogs afield, Piqua had a nice run....so it has to be considered a productive day. Hopefully all the others who train this weekend get some good work in.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Tec and Piqua worked extremely well today, Mike. We haven't trained together for a while, and it's obvious you've put some productive hours in with them.

And thanks for playing 4-wheeled scout when Jake decided to go for a run in the country.

All in all a very good day, and I still got home in time to attend the Goddaughter's communion mass/dinner. Just need the farmer to come out and cut the grass to help improve the scenting conditions.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
festeraeb said:
My guess a gps locater. I am curious also if it is how well does it work?

It's just a dogtra e-collar/beeper combo. He's going to a pro trainer for a few months beginning in June, and the trainer asked me to get him used to running with the e-collar around his waist. He doesn't even act like it's there when he runs.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. I lost
an orange one near the usual parking area and a softer yellow [with other collars splashed in] somewhere in the back corner. The orange one I set down to pull the stake outs up and I forgot to pick it up. It's the orange Lion Country cord.​

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Tecumseh said:
Cool. I lost
an orange one near the usual parking area and a softer yellow [with other collars splashed in] somewhere in the back corner. The orange one I set down to pull the stake outs up and I forgot to pick it up. It's the orange Lion Country cord.​

2 check cords in the same day?!?!???!:dizzy:​

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great. I left the orange one there on Saturday and the yellow colored one was on Piqua one day but when she came back it was no longer on her. That one was lost sometime last month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts