Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am new to this forum! I have a question to all traditional bowhunters, Has anyone heard of Anderson Archery Corperation Bows from Grand Ledge Michigan? I was renovating a small cabin on the Thornapple river in Hastings, Mi a couple of years back and found a beautifull recurve bow in the wall(behind the drywall I was removing) its a Big Game Hunter by Anderson Archery Corperation it is marked 58" 60lb and is identical to a old mid 70's Bear Grizzly(it has no Bear madallions) I have contackted Bear and they have no knoledge of this company. Anyone have any idias on the history of this bow???????? Roadhouse.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Roadhouse
I live 13 miles from Anderson Archery in Grand Ledge. Unfortunatly they are no longer in business. I cant remeber the exact year but it was around 1999 /2000 that they closed the doors. In its day it was the largest archery store I would say in the US. They had every manufacture of bow made and almost a complete line up of each. Plus alot of big game mounts in the store.
They used to hold a clinic every year and alot of the guys like Bear, Jennings ect would be there as well as manufactures.
It wouldnt suprise me that bear did make a bow for them so you could be right. Before the compound hey days they stocked many recurves as well.
You might got to www.bowsite.com and go to the Michigan forum and ask your question also.
Congadulations on your find. Is the bow in shootable condition or have you shot it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bhntr thanks for the reply. No I have not shot the bow yet but I have all the confidence in the world that it is 100% shootable. I'll give ya another tidbit on the bow as the location in the wall where I found it, it was inbedded behind the insullation under the drywall in a corner of mud room that was added on to the cabin in 1977. I don't think the bow itself was to old when sombody stuck it in the corner and insullated and drywalled over top of it. And I about did a backflip when I riped out the wall and found this thing, and about did another one when I learned that the thing had been there for 24 years! (I still laugh about it) as it was perfectly preserved like it came out of a time capsule. I will give bowsite a try on the history of the bow itself. thanks Roadhouse.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Roadhouse
Incase you dont know of these other sites you should also try www.tradgang.com and use the pow-wow and the collector part of this site. Its one of the best. And you should also use www.stickbow.com and go to the leatherwall to post on this site.
You might have to bring it to the top a few times because they get a lot of use but you should get alot more info.
I found a martin super diablo recurve a few years ago on a garage sale. It was in mint condition. I let a friend buy it that was with me for $40 because he didnt have a recurve. Even loaned him the money. So thats as close as I have come to findingt lost treasure :) My wife bought me a mint blitzenburg flecting jig for $3 a few years ago as well.
Not quite as good of a find as yours but close. I read about some great finds all the time but so far its been a long dry run. There are alot of collectors and guys looking all the time at these sales.
I bet who ever lost that bow went crazy looking for it.
Let me know what you find out. You got me courious now.
If you are in Michigan in June this summer be sure to bring your bows an come up to the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters Jamboree in Grayling,MI. Its one of the best traditional shoots around and in the old stomping grounds of Fred Bear himself.
Good Luck. Doug Roll

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a lead over at trad-gangs forum to a Tom Nelson, the host of american archer on the outdoors channel. Who ironicly used to be the store manager at AAC. So I shot him a e-mail last nite and I got a reply from him this morning. And he basicly said WOW! and stated that he had not heard that name(Big Game Hunter)in a long time. He gave me the info I was seeking The Big Game Hunter bow was made exclusivly for AAC between 1972-76 by a bowyer by the name of Dickie Roberts(who passed away several years back) and he has assured me that it may be a good bow to hang on to cause there aren't to many of them floating around. now on to my next project and reasearch one bowyer by the name of Dickie Roberts!. Roadhouse.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Roadhouse--a fellow that lives in Sturgis, Michigan, by the name of Dennis Sturgis, Sr., I believe told me once that he knew and shot bows with Dickie. Big Denny has been pulling traditional bows for a long time, and it is surprising how many of the Michigan bowyers he knew/knows.

I spoke with a very interesting fellow, now deceased, from Three Rivers, who helped Dickie design and test bows. His name escapes me, but Tom might know who associated with Dickie. Anyway, this old timer had a basement full of Golden Eagle recurves; and pieces of bows; and testing stuff; and drawings; and arrows--many footed target arrows; and on and on. Would he sell any of it?? Heck, no. I did manage to talk him into selling me a dozen footed arrows that are in my 'bow room' at home.

Anyway, this is to say that there is a large network of folks that still may recall various personalities that were associated with bows that wound up at Anderson Archery.

Best of luck--this kind of search is fun!

God bless, Arch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts