Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_55798-234654--,00.html

Q: What if I want to use the parks in 2011 before my registration renewal date - will I have to pay twice?
A. The Recreation Passport funding model is not tied to the calendar year - instead, it will be based on your personal vehicle registration date.
Here is an example of how it will work the first year of the program:
Your vehicle registration renewal is in July
You want to visit the park in April
If you want to use the parks before your vehicle registration is due (for example, in April), then please do! Our staff will see that your chance to pay the $10 will not occur until July, and you will not be asked to purchase anything on-site. However, if you don't buy your Recreation Passport in July and you visit a park in September, you will have to buy a one at a state park or recreation area. Because the program began October 1, 2010, for the 2011 year, if your vehicle has an expiration date between Oct.-Dec., and you did not participate in the Recreation Passport through the SOS office or purchase a locally sold Recreation Passport in 2010 between Oct. - Dec, you must purchase a Passport before entering a State Park.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Went to SANG yesterday and it was the first time I've seen the guy in the booth. He asked for my birthday (May) and said I was all good until June 1 of next year :woohoo1:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
o.k question where at down there can i buy a sticker, i have a company car and they did my reg already not up til feb... I know i don't need one now but i would prefer to buy it anyways. They don't sell them at the booth do they???

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Technically they (the state park bureau) can't sell you one till you need one. When your plate is renewed in Feb(??) maybe your company will include it. If not you can buy it on your first trip to a state boat launch (fee site) or to a state park or campground, $10.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The state will not manufacture,make stickers as we have been accustomed to in the past. At the time when you purchase the new tabs for the license plate, add $10 for the pass port.
A letter "P" will be stamped on the tab itself indicating that you paid for the pass port.

Now, this is the kicker. Lets say your Birthday in July,this is when you need to have the tabs for your vehicle renewed,right?

Your ice fishing until ice out, no problem doesn't cost you a dime at any DNR access sites for now.

Summer has come and gone,you have your new tab on your license plate,remember, you had to get a new one for July? but you either forgot, or opted not to spend another $10 for the Recreation Pass Port. Now it is December 2011 or January 2012 and going to either Cotton Rd. or Selfrige Dnr. Or over in New Baltimore. Those guards in the booth took down your license plate number.They now check your tab and do not see that letter "P"

Guess what my friend??? you just got yourself
A $100.00 fine.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Does the tab count for DNR operated launches that are not part of a State park? Like the one on Erie/Huron River or Thunder Bay?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Does the tab count for DNR operated launches that are not part of a State park? Like the one on Erie/Huron River or Thunder Bay?
Any of the DNR launches that previously required the sticker now will use the passport.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Technically they (the state park bureau) can't sell you one till you need one. When your plate is renewed in Feb(??) maybe your company will include it. If not you can buy it on your first trip to a state boat launch (fee site) or to a state park or campground, $10.
I bought one at Algonac State Park the other day.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Just relaying on information from the unit supervisor over here.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Since my wife renewed my plates without opting for the $10 upgrade I had to buy a window sticker. It is also $10 and goes in the lower right of my windshield--about 1.25"X1.25", blue in color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts