Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The copper bullets are .45cal with .50cal sabot 300gr Barnes Expander MZ (hollow point) launched with 100gr of pyrodex powder. These were recovered from a backstop made of multiple layers of plywood and 2x8,couldn't tell you if they are 50 or 100 yard bullets. I have read that these mushroom hydraulically upon hitting liquid. My question is..upon hitting hair and hide,wouldn't the hollow tip first fill with hair and then skin. I also would have expected to see some deformation upon hitting the wood backstop.
Any thoughts on this?....Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Those bullets don't look like Barnes to me, it looks like the pictures are of lead bullets with a copper jacket, Barnes bullets are 100% copper. Maybe the picture isn't clear?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Man I have read so many posts about ml loads and have heard almost all good about barnes. there seems to be NO expansion at all here? What is the deal?

Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had the Remington copper sabots out of my 20ga look the same way when shooting in to wood back stops. They seem to expand the way they should when shooting into a sand pile. No problems when they connect with a deer, nice hole and good blood trail.
I like the look of the dead centers I've have though about tring them maybe next year. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Sorry, I didn't quite understand the post. Even the top bullets don't look like the barnes Expander MZ that I shoot, did the hollow point actually close up, mine seem to be more blunt/sharp. Maybe the wood is causing a strange appearance.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
How do you know what recipe launched them, yet you don't know if they were fired from 50 yards or 100 yards? Just curious.

I have used Barnes in my rifles, slug guns, and muzzleloader with great success. It's the one part of my hunting set up I never ever question. I have supreme confidence that when I pull the trigger, a dead deer is waiting a short distance away.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"How do you know what recipe launched them, yet you don't know if they were fired from 50 yards or 100 yards?"

Because the target was set at 50 and then 100 yards. The stop was probably 7 pieces 0f 1/2" plywood and then 2x8 all screwed together. When we were done shooting,I started unscrewing layers. Out of 12 dead centers and 15 MZ'S,these are the only ones that were recovered out of the layers. Most passed through,especially as the target got shot up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would guess that the denseness of the plywood would have something to do with them not expanding. Multiple layers of plywood and deer hide/bones/inners are really not similar at all. Not really a good test if you ask me, to really test how they expand you'd need to shoot them into something similar to an animail, hard to do I realize.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
"How do you know what recipe launched them, yet you don't know if they were fired from 50 yards or 100 yards?"

Because the target was set at 50 and then 100 yards. The stop was probably 7 pieces 0f 1/2" plywood and then 2x8 all screwed together. When we were done shooting,I started unscrewing layers. Out of 12 dead centers and 15 MZ'S,these are the only ones that were recovered out of the layers. Most passed through,especially as the target got shot up.
Ah, I understand.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would guess that the denseness of the plywood would have something to do with them not expanding. Multiple layers of plywood and deer hide/bones/inners are really not similar at all. .
That is my thought as well. How is the soft copper suppose to expand when surrounded by a thick wood cylinder? The energy is being released as the bullet travels forward into the plywood, not all around the edges (thus not pushing the cylinder wall outward and mushrooming).

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Thats dont look like a barnes expander. If it was it should have expanded to look like this. Ill tell yah, you do not need to shoot into wood. Take 2 12"12 x 12" boxes, or something close. Put garbage bags in them and fill them with water. Shoot from 10 yards and the bullet will be in the second box every time.

Oh yeah heres the expander

·
Registered
791 Posts
Aren't the solid coppers designed for 150 grains of powder to properly function?
I stopped at my processors last night and he showed me a CVA type Power belt bullet he found in a deer. It hardly had a scratch! Not very impressive.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Aren't the solid coppers designed for 150 grains of powder to properly function?
No. Like all bullets, they have a working velocity range. To fast and they will over expand, not fast enough and they won't expand at all. (I've never seen a Barned over expanded however) These bullets have performed for me at close range (max velocity) and long distance (well sort of, 125 yards) with loads ranging from 100 to 150 grains of powder. Currently I use 120 BH209 (150 Pyrodex equivalent in terms of velocity) and I have no concerns taking 10 yards shots or 175 yard shots...the performance will be the same, tremendous!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts