Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader with 26" barrel. I will be hunting whitetail ranging from 50-150 yards away, wondering what yall recommend for load size and bullet size. I plan on shooting 150g of 777 powder pellets, with a 295g powerbelt hollow point. I want power to drop them on spot or minimize tracking distance, also wondered if 100g would do just as good if not better. just looking for others input, thanks.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Toss the powerbelts in the trash. Try Hornady or better yet Barnes TMZs, if you are open to loose powder its Blackhorn 209 all the way. I dont know much about pellets I have always shot loose powder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never used anything besides powerbelt and have been highly satisfied with their performance, but i am open to trying new bullets. what amount of gun powder do you shoot confidently with? and what size bullet

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Toss the powerbelts in the trash. Try Hornady or better yet Barnes TMZs, if you are open to loose powder its Blackhorn 209 all the way. I dont know much about pellets I have always shot loose powder.
:yeahthat:Experiment!Thats the only way to find out what your rifle likes.I have a CVA Magbolt that the pet load for it is 80 grains of Pyrodex and a 250 grain TC EZ glide.Throw them Power Belts in the river.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Might work well for you. IMO there is no recommended load for any particular gun only as you stated a personal hunting characteristic and to test different loads of powder and projectile. Get plenty of soap and wet patches. Basically with the pellets you only have two choices of loads and one projectile so try both. The Powerbelt with either load should work to 150 yards if you sighted an 1" or 2" above bullseye at a 100 yards. I have heard trash and appraise from them but if they shoot accurate out of your gun and hit a deer in the boiler room you should be grilling. I don't know about dropping them on the spot though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive heard sabots leave plastic buildup in the barrel grooves and lead to problems down the road. anyone ever come across this?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Used .300gr platinum powerbelts with a 150gr magnum charge. 100 yards

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Ok, time to maybe make enemies....... again. :D

Like others stated............ THROW THOSE POWERBELTS OUT OR MELT THEM DOWN FOR SINKERS....... AND THEY'RE BARELY WORTH MAKING SINKERS OUT OF. DON'T..... GIVE THEM TO ANYONE OR LOSE A FRIEND.

They are the most unreliable bullet made and it doesn't matter rather you can hit anything with them or not. Just search the posts over the years here and you'll identify all the BAD reports about them. These are facts posted by many hunters in the real world. The most sickening part, is the numbers of hunters who have lost an animal shooting them. There are WAY to many decent bullets to shoot, than to shoot JUNK.

There are two requirements IMO for a bullet, first it must be unquestionably reliable on game. Then accurate.

Man I wish these "behind the counter" guys would stop peddling that stuff........

This is what a bullet with a complete pass through should look like.

or this

This is NOT what a bullet should look like, after shooting through a deer and burying itself in the dirt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I shoot the 290 grain Barnes TMZ with 100 grains(by volume, to avoid any confusion) out of my CVA Optima Elite, still have some fine tuning to do but feeling pretty confident with that load. I never questioned the accuracy of powerbelts, shot them myself for a couple years, but the performance on anything other than paper is not very good.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You showed a full copper bullet just about like the one you showed. That target was with 300 gr HP lead which wouldn't do that.

Here is what a PRB can do. I know their deadly they been around for a couple of thousand years and its the only projectile that has dropped a deer in its tracks in the last bakers dozen or so deer for me.

Here is a PP S&W 501 at 100 yds.

Before and after pics after traveling through four feet of elk just shy of 200 yds. Not for the novice.

This is what I nave been using lately, very effective. A Lee 240 gr 44 cal RN with 120 PDex select.

[/URL][/IMG]

I've also used Noslers, GoldDots, Shokwaves (probably the best for long range), and a variety of others, but I have never been able to find the bullets after pass through. I don't live in Cali so I don't use all copper. With cast you can tailor your own diameters for a better fit. No emoticons just different rifles, projectiles, and hunters that have had effective results.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I shot the PB's and two pellets of 777 for maybe 4 years. I killed many a deer but the accuracy was very suspect when sighting in. I went to Barnes TMZ's and still used 777. Still killed some critters. After moving back to MI I went to BH209 (110gr vol). Below is my original target after using the TMZ's (250's) and BH209. This is the best example I can provide that shows what happened. The efficiency of the BH209 over 777 was very obvious. My first shot with TMZ's and BH209 is the hole in the white masking tape (100yds) at the top. You can see the shot is way high as I no longer needed the arc required for the 777. I was very surprised at the performance difference, in fact I thought I did something wrong. I made an adjustment a few clicks down, shot and repeated. You can see I'm tracking down towards center with each successive adjustment and shot. For me, I was very impressed with the final combo of TMZ's and BH209. If you look at the recent thread here in the ML forum titled "Just For The ML Crowd", that big bear was shot using that very combo. It was a slightly front quarter pass thru.

Soooo......Once you get sighted in with PB's and 777, stuff a comparable load of BH209 and TMZ's down the barrel and watch what happens. Use a large target background and be prepared for a possible high impact like you see below. Post up your targets when done. If you don't see a positive performance difference using TMZ's and BH209 (and easier clean up), switch back to PB's and 777 and I will ship to you free of charge all the PB's I have laying around. I have maybe a pack and half.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
You showed a full copper bullet just about like the one you showed. That target was with 300 gr HP lead which wouldn't do that.

IF... you're talking about showing two different Barnes bullets, you're absolutely correct, they are different. However, the point is that they are 100% reliable AND accurate. When you do recover one, that's what it'll look like. The other two mushroomed bullets are Hornady XTP's.

I've also used Noslers, GoldDots, Shokwaves (probably the best for long range), and a variety of others, but I have never been able to find the bullets after pass through. I don't live in Cali so I don't use all copper. With cast you can tailor your own diameters for a better fit. No emoticons just different rifles, projectiles, and hunters that have had effective results.
Shockwaves are a good long range bullet but, not the best. The Shockwave and the SST both have their own downfalls too.

Grrrrr..... when the desktop started to die, I transferred all my targets and videos to a DVD... AND I CAN'T FIND IT....... Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Encore, you should make videos and post them on YouTube. It might save you from typing the same thing over and over again. Thanks for the BH209/Barnes recommendations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Grrrrr..... when the desktop started to die, I transferred all my targets and videos to a DVD... AND I CAN'T FIND IT....... Grrrrrr.
Are all those bullets taken from berms at what range or from animals? I am basically new to the computer still and I just found out about flash drives. They seam like a very good medium to store files in Encore. I have seen them all the way up to 64 gigs of storage for your shooting pleasures. I was talking about the 200 gr shokwave for the 300 yard shooting with 150 gr of powder but I haven't been in those type of hunting situations in a while and maybe I should of said "the best I've tried so far."

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Encore, you should make videos and post them on YouTube. It might save you from typing the same thing over and over again. Thanks for the BH209/Barnes recommendations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Every year....:lol:

One nice thing I'm not alone. ;)

It pays to pay close attention to bullets and propellants, what their capabilities are and most of all, their repeat reliability on game, not just paper. There are good bullets for target and good bullets for hunting. Although a specific bullet may be excellent to punch paper targets, it may not be 100% reliable as a hunting bullet and visa versa. The key we should all be striving for, is the bullet that does both, not bullets that have reams of bad posts about failure after failure. I always question why a shooter, knowing the extreme number of negative comments about a specific bullet, would still defend it, let alone shoot it. I know shooters that experiment using a dozen different sabots for a specific bullet, trying to get it to just load easy, then secondary shoot a 4" group and say they've conquered it. They've went through all that work and never paid attention or verified, how the bullet actually performs on game with 100% repeat reliability. They hunt with that load, harvest an animal and their theory becomes fact.

Every year there are more and more people getting in to muzzleloading and getting bad advice from "behind the counter" salesmen. Its good that these shooters, especially the young shooters, ask and learn from those of us experienced. Nothing makes me sadder than to read or hear about someone starting out in muzzleloading, getting bad advice, spending a ton of money and then giving it up. New shooters are hearing stories and witnessing how the newer muzzleloaders are shooting and want to try it. We should do our very best to point them in the right direction and provide them with the knowledge we've learned over many years and thousands of rounds.

I should be done ranting for the night. Anybody want to donate a video camera?...... :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Are all those bullets taken from berms at what range or from animals? I am basically new to the computer still and I just found out about flash drives. They seam like a very good medium to store files in Encore. I have seen them all the way up to 64 gigs of storage for your shooting pleasures. I was talking about the 200 gr shokwave for the 300 yard shooting with 150 gr of powder but I haven't been in those type of hunting situations in a while and maybe I should of said "the best I've tried so far."
It appears that my problem is more associated with my memory. I copied them and can't find where I put them. :lol: I have a ton of target pictures, some of which I've shot and some others have shot. I've got a whole card of video shooting 200yds and can't find that either. :confused:

The Barnes that's in the post titled, Beautiful, is one I just shot and pulled out of the backstop. The picture of the Barnes with the date, is one that was shot into the chest and laid just under the hide on one rear quarter. Range on that one was just under 100yds and the deer was running. That bullet was fired by a buddy "Gutpile", using a CVA Accura V1, using 110grs volume BH209 and CCI209M primers.

I took two deer last year, one at 191yds and one at 203yds. Both were complete pass through and dead in 40yds or less, both with 250gr Barnes TMZ bullets. I won't shoot anything else.

I've shot the Shockwave bullet, thousands of them and they're good on paper but, I've had a number of bad hunting experiences with them. Yup, I had to try them one year after they came out......

Its very rare that I recover a hunting bullet, as they just pass thru and are gone. They are consistent and 100% reliable and those that I have or others have recovered, all do the same thing. Although I could shoot to 300yds, I don't. I've pretty much imposed a 200yd or so limit on myself. That and also I consider any ballistics with the bullet and won't shoot an animal when the energy drops much below 900fpe.

However..... here are two Barnes bullets recovered after complete pass-thru and into a plowed field.

I did find one picture of 200yd range session with a friend shooting. Now to find all the videos...

Although I can't seem to find the drive and all the pictures, here's one I have here on M-S. Now to understand the photo, this photo was taken to use as an example of how some rifles will not shoot the same POI clean as they did fouled. This is constant with my Pro Hunter and I could go out tomorrow and shoot starting with a clean barrel and obtain almost identical results. The first shot is always high, the second starts to come in and every shot there after groups. Bullets again....... Barnes 250gr TMZ

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Encore, on my pic above of the target, the barrel was cleaned and swabbed after every shot and everything was pretty consistent horizontally as you can see. I just had to make the vertical adjustments to center.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts