Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a 3 day hunt with a couple friends... Late October/early November. Never been to Nodak, so just seeing if anyone has a recommendation for a lodge with guided duck hunts. Looking for all inclusive hunt with food, lodging, etc... Willing to spend up to around $1,500 per man. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I'm looking to do a 3 day hunt with a couple friends... Late October/early November. Never been to Nodak, so just seeing if anyone has a recommendation for a lodge with guided duck hunts. Looking for all inclusive hunt with food, lodging, etc... Willing to spend up to around $1,500 per man. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Rick Darling

(701) 351 4244 He has a house for lodging and a lot of land access. West of Devils Lake

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Rick Darling

(701) 351 4244 He has a house for lodging and a lot of land access. West of Devils Lake
Surprised none of the other Nodak regulars on this site have chimed in yet.

Couple questions..1) do you and your friends have some experience waterfowling? 2) are you expecting limits every time out, or are you just looking to shoot some birds, have fun, and learn about Nodak? Reason I ask is that I've been going out there annually since the late 90's, and even though more and more land has become posted, there's still a lot of opportunity for "free-lancing". Especially if you just want to have fun, and shoot some birds over water. The state is full of public federally owned lands called Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA's), and they normally have some amount of water on them. Could be 1/2 acre pothole, or a huge several hundred acre lake. But there really is a lot of it, and most often you are all alone. Reason for that is there are so many WPA's scattered around, and still so few hunters (comparatively to here), the options are just far and wide. So you can take a dozen dekes on your back, and go light and walk into hundreds of these spots and normally shoot birds. It just isn't that hard out there. Of course the weather does play a big factor, and there are times when birds are scarce, just like anywhere. Plus there are still lots of privately owned properties that are not posted. Again, not as many as there once was, but lots. So dry field hunting is an option if you have some knowledge of how to do that and some basic gear. So if you and your friends are reasonably experienced at hunting over decoys, and you aren't necessarily concerned about limits, I'd suggest you may want to free-lance. It's a lot's cheaper, and you will learn a ton just roaming around pothole jumping.

Nothing against guides, but it's still hunting, and there are no guarantees. But if you are really interested in doing very little work, paying for the experience, and maximizing your time there (especially in fields), and are dying to get into those "tornado's" of ducks you see on tv, then a guide MIGHT be a better option. I would only caution you though paying a guide does not automatically equate to those kinds of hunts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are all experience with 15+ years... Going with father and brother and are looking to start doing a yearly waterfowl trip. Don't really want to go it on our own, so that's why we want to do a guided hunt. We are willing to travel to other states, but our schedule this year looks like it will be late October/ early November, so that's why I thought Nodak would be a great option. Probably will want to do an Ak and a Tx hunt in the future but those are usually December and January... Too busy this year during those months.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
just give me your 1500x3 and i'll take you freelancing for a week.
No kidding!!! Seriously, it's that easy (no offense, Kid). NoDak is the last bastion of freelancing. When that's gone everybody will be paying to hunt. Don't be surprised if some of the locals take offense to guided hunts. They're just trying to keep the land open to regular folks. I'm not much of a fan of guided hunts in NoDak myself.

That being said, Devils Lake area probably has the most guides. They field hunt and do open water hunts, often on Devils Lake itself. Geese will be coming down around that time as well. Devils Lake has an airport and available lodging along with many restaurants. A guy I stayed with a few years ago does pretty well guiding - may even get you on some of those giant Devils Lake perch and walleye in the PM. His name is Jason and he runs Perch Eye Guide service has lodging there as well. I didn't use his guide service, only his lodging, but the folks he came in with were happy campers and went through a hell of a lot of shells. He lives there and isn't onw of the out-of-state transient guys. His number is 701 351-1294. Or take the Kid up on his offer, you won't be disappointed. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts