Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After reading through many of your posts and watching videos of people spearing monster pike through the ice, I've decided to take the plunge this year. My wife just bought me a Shappell Widehouse 6500 hub shack that I intend to spear out of. I set it up during our trip home to the U.P. for Christmas and cut a spearing-sized hole. I'm already addicted to the large hole, and I neither had a spear nor saw a fish (other than the minnow that I dangled below the hole). That's why I'm finally posting: I need advice regarding what will be my first spear.

My stepdad is an accomplished welder, and he's offered to build me a spear. He has friends who used to spear, and he's fished all his life, so he's not going in entirely blind. All he's asked is that I send him a few photographs (to give him an idea what "style" head I'd prefer on the spear and what material I'd like him to build it with), and that I send him some dimensions for him to use as a guide (e.g., length of tines, length of handle, diameter of handle, distance between tines). I'm hoping that someone here can provide some advice and perhaps even a few photographs.

As payment, I'll offer to take any and all advisors out fishing if (a) I ever find any pike down here; and (b) they're in my neck of the woods. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I'll post some pics for you tonight I've made my own speers out of round 5/16 rod I'll pm you all the dimensions tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Darkhouse Ninja
5,614 Posts
I use 1/2" for he handle about 5' long and 1/4" for the tines the center tine is 8" long, I like to use all hexagonal 12L14, I can get a head out of an 8' chuck, the head is 9" wide the makes the time gap an 1 1/2" for a seven tine spear!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
Note the barbs N.N.. Most cheap spears lack substantial ones.
There are pike by you...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts

This is the one I made. The tines are 1/4" I built up with welds and hammered out the tines and shaped with a grinder. I drilled holes in a piece of 1"x1/2" solid steel and welded the tines into it. The round piece is 1 /1/4" solid round that I heated and hammered until it was tapered to a 1/2" flat and welded it to the 1"x1/2". Then drilled and tapped the round, threaded 5 feet of half inch and screwed together. All together it weighs about 12 lbs. It may not be the prettiest spear out there, but in 20 fow it hits the bottom in about 2.5 seconds and she flies straighter than an arrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts