Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I was looking for any input for a mule deer/pronghorn hunt. My father, brother and myself are starting to kick around the idea of heading out West next year. We are open to which State, hunting area and weeks.

1. Looking for a credible outfitter with references.

2. Average success rates

3. Ease of tags

4. Neighborhood price, semi guided- mostly guided hunt preferred

We have never been out West to hunt and figured start looking now and come up with a plan. Brother and I are in pretty good shape, dad is in his early 60's with no health issues just not entirely sure how hard he wants to hunt(physically).

Any advice, input or ideas are certainly welcome. Really want to get a trip in before dad doesn't or can't go anymore. Thanx in advance

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
270 is a plains/Mountain favorite for those two. I use a 25-06 or a 250 Savage.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Violator, we have the rifles covered. I will be hunting with a 7mm Rem Mag and so will my brother, Dad hunts with a .30-.06.

I was looking for hunt information and guides.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I don't know any guides but I think you'll do good in eastern Montana.
Many landowners here allow hunting on their lands.
Pick a spot and contact the Fish Wildlife and Parks service for info.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Trout, I will certainly look into it. Like I said we are just getting it rolling and keeping our options open. Can non residents purchase licenses over the counter in Montana, or do you have to apply for a draw tag?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Ya can in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado, but the trick is finding any OTC's left this late in the season. Wyoming and Colorado Spped Goat en at the End of Oct. A doe Antelope tag will cost 34 dollars out of wyoming, I have two that I will not be able to use this year, as my wife has had to work darn near every weekend, and I didn't get drawn for where I wanted to hunt here in Colorado. :(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
:coolgleam I just got back from an antelope hunt, in Wyoming, two weeks ago. I used Tyler Sims Outfitting and had a great time. Tyler runs "some" mule deer hunts, as well, and told me he was looking to expand his mule deer leases for next year. The antelope areas are awesome! I saw 500-700 animals per day. The non-resident fee for antelope was $286 plus a $12 Conservation Stamp. The non-resident application deadline is usually March 15. Tyler has a website with more information: http://www.tylersims.com/index.html :fish:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Couple of outfitter's. 7J outfitter's. Jeff & Deb Smith are the owner's. They are out of Wyoming but offer hunt's in Wyoming and Montana. Central Montana Outfitter's. Chad Scherer is the owner. A litlle pricey but offer's an outstanding hunt. Hope this help's.

·
Registered
11,830 Posts
If anyone knows, Troy does.....I hunted with Troy one year

Troy
Did the Smiths live in MT at one time? I hunted with Jeff Smith and Ben, outfitter business was Bullseye in Trout Creek. I know his dad also ran an outfitting business out of MT.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I'v hunted with Dick Dodds at Craig, CO. on three different trips. Once for speed goats and two rut hunts for mulies. We all harvested very decent animals each time. Wonderful country to hunt and safe horses. The guides, accomodations and food were always very good. Not the cheapest outfit but a solid bet. They now have a rather extensive website.

NB

PS Chose carefully- they are a lot of shyster "guides/outfitters" out there. I've heard some real horror stories re Western trips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check out "Flatwillow Creek Outfitters" in Winnett, Montana (Central Montana). I have hunted with them for Mule Deer and Antelope in 1998 and 2004. They are absolutely first rate in all respects. Great guides, housing, food, and game. There is a drawing for antelope and mule deer for the area. If I could afford it I would hunt with them every year. Unfortunately their prices have risen past my pocketbook.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hunted Antelope a few years back in Wyoming with Table Mountain Outfitters. Both me and my dad took nice Antelope. While we were there a guy took a 30" wide Mule Deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts