Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Recommend scope for Ruger Target Gray

2573 16
I took my Zeiss off my Ruger Target Grey in 22-250 and put it on my New Custom 300WBY and that is where it will stay. So, any recommendations for scope to shoot targets and varments? If anyone has a used scope he thinks would work and would sell let me know. I am trying to stay under 400.00. Help would be appriceated. thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I have on my wish list at Midway the following scope and I would have to cough up 100.00 more for a
Leupold VX-2 Target Scope 6-18x 40mm Adjustable Objective 1/8 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte which is 489.00. I really like to shoot small groups with my rifle and developed loads and this scope will let me do so at distances where the coyote like to stay when running across the wide open area. Any other ideas or a scope in the 400-500.00 range would be helpful. :D
Hey, just got a call from a friend and he offered me a 4200 Bushnell 4-16x40AO Multi x, he used last year for a little while during the season. He wants 300.00 for it, what do you think about this scope, I have never owned one of these??? Please any comments would be helpful before I drop 489.00 on a Leupold VX 2:D
lockstock.com has Sightron on sale right now. I bought a 3x10x50 SII for $229 and free shipping. Bushnell 4200 and 3200 series are darn good scopes.
thank you for your response, I sure don't know what to do at the moment. I promised my wife on this rifle that I would make sure I got something I would be happy with so I would not be buying another scope to replace it in two months. It is not like I don't buy a lot of hunting, shooting, reloading stuff so I guess her comment this one time is important to listen to and she's right, becasuse if I can't get small groups out of this rifle (you know I like small groups) so I can make long shots with some hope of hitting my target just where I want to, I will not be happy. QuakrTrakr, you got any further suggestions on scope from 450.00 down that would work good with this cal. and hunting coyote let me know. Thanks again :D
QuakrTrakr said:
lockstock.com has Sightron on sale right now. I bought a 3x10x50 SII for $229 and free shipping. Bushnell 4200 and 3200 series are darn good scopes.
I put this http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU852550IGR.html on my 17HMR. I really like it. THe glass isn't quite as nice as Leupold or Burris, but it has alot of nice features, like the lighted reticle and the adjustable objective. The power might be a little high for running targets, but for PD's or chucks, it's great. I think they have a 4x16 power too.
Well since I spent so much money on my Custom 300WBY I could not resist a sale at Midway and I sure hope I did not make a mistake, but if I did I will just learn from it and go on. I bought a -

Nikon Buckmasters Scope 6-18x 40mm Side Focus BDC Reticle Matte - for 269.95. Like I said, sure hope I did not make a mistake. Thanks for the imput, I sure hope I don't have to by a Leupold after spending this money on the Nikon. Oh well, it would not be the first time I blew it, we will see. I will let you all know how it works whether it does or doesn't help me shoot good small groups. later
QuakrTrakr said:
I put this http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU852550IGR.html on my 17HMR. I really like it. THe glass isn't quite as nice as Leupold or Burris, but it has alot of nice features, like the lighted reticle and the adjustable objective. The power might be a little high for running targets, but for PD's or chucks, it's great. I think they have a 4x16 power too.
Bear, if you don't like it, sell it on Ebay. Those crazies there will pay retail for used gear. I sell quite alot there.
I always highly recommend Mueller optics. I personally have an Eraticator and am planning on ordering the Tac II later today. Great optics at a great price. If you are not happy with what you bought check out a Mueller. Even if you are happy with what you have, next time check out Mueller!
$399.00 for the Zeiss Conquest Z-plex. An awsome scope for the money!
Yes I know it is I took one off my 22-250 and put it on my custom 300WBY mag. I took a chance and don't know why, I usually don't buy the low end scope and I don't think this one is a low end scope just because it was on sale for a 100.00 less than Midway usually sells them. It sure would be neat at the price I paid to get a good product that allows me to have small groups up close and far off. Working on some 22-250 loads right now. Think I am going to try also the TSX in .22 cal. Well until later.
stick bow said:
$399.00 for the Zeiss Conquest Z-plex. An awsome scope for the money!
Stick bow,

Very well stated on your choice of scopes:evil: .
You'll like the buckmaster scope from Nikon, they are nice and clear for the money. You'll like the side focus as well. My next scope may be their 4.5-14x40 with the side focus
Leupold makes some of the VX III's in a matte grey finish (not their stainless) that matches up nicely with the Ruger Target Grey finish....designed just for that application I believe. Makes for a sharp package! A lot to pay for some looks I know, but hey, I enjoy looking at nice rifle/scope combos and that has to be worth something right?
Yea, but this is one of those few times I will have to settle for less and hope it works. :D
Swamp Monster said:
You'll like the buckmaster scope from Nikon, they are nice and clear for the money. You'll like the side focus as well. My next scope may be their 4.5-14x40 with the side focus
Leupold makes some of the VX III's in a matte grey finish (not their stainless) that matches up nicely with the Ruger Target Grey finish....designed just for that application I believe. Makes for a sharp package! A lot to pay for some looks I know, but hey, I enjoy looking at nice rifle/scope combos and that has to be worth something right?
sux huh? Budget always prevails.
beartooth said:
Yea, but this is one of those few times I will have to settle for less and hope it works. :D
In this case at this time it sure did, but I might just get lucky and find in this scope a real companion for my 22-250:D:D:D
QuakrTrakr said:
sux huh? Budget always prevails.
I really appreciate you all for really putting me at ease about the kind of scope and also Nikon. I do not think without your help I would have even considered Nikon in a serious way. I don't even have the scope yet (will be here Friday) and I am looking at them in a much different light and I am beginning to really like what I see. What I have discovered with the help of some friends is that you cannot find a brighter, clearer scope than the Nikon 6.5-20X44 Monarch is because there isn't one. At sniper's hide, there was a review from a German magazine where the Nikon was tested along with 7 or 8 other high end (read high $) scopes like Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovsky and others. They tested these scopes in in a factory using optical equipment. They found the Nikon had the highest light transmission of all the scopes, bar none.:D
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.