Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"While patrolling the area marshes for duck hunters, CO Dan Lee contacted two hunters who indicated they had done well, bagging three blue bills and one hen mallard. The CO checked and found both hunters using unplugged guns. The CO then inspected the birds, which were in an unregistered motorboat, and found that the hunters had bagged three coots and one blue wing teal. A short course on duck ID was given."

I wonder if they still ate the coots?

·
Premium Member
7,087 Posts
"While patrolling the area marshes for duck hunters, CO Dan Lee contacted two hunters who indicated they had done well, bagging three blue bills and one hen mallard. The CO checked and found both hunters using unplugged guns. The CO then inspected the birds, which were in an unregistered motorboat, and found that the hunters had bagged three coots and one blue wing teal. A short course on duck ID was given."

I wonder if they still ate the coots?
Coots are FAR more edible than people give them credit for. Certainly better than mergetroids!

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
:dizzy: Kinda reminds me of one day a few years ago when we arrived at the launch after the morning hunt. There was a few boats in line to pull out and everyone was chatting about how their hunt went. One guy tells me they didn't get any, but the guys walking to their truck did pretty good, they got 4 wood ducks and they were REALLY weird lookin'. So the other guys back their truck down and the guy I was talking to says,, "hey, show this guy those wood ducks you got"... So he pulls these birds out,, 4 hooded merganzers....:rolleyes: Now mind you,, this was 2 separate groups of hunters,, ALL OF 'EM thought these were wood ducks...:dizzy:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah if u are going to go out and hunt waterfowl u should know what species are what!!! otherwise you are just asking for trouble!!!

thats my .02 worth.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I still dont agree with a mandatory I.D. test. Why should we lump law abiding citizens, that take measures to do it the right way, in with these jokers...As always, a few that make it look bad for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
a couple years back, was pulling the boat at Fair Haven.

A party was showing off their birds, and bragging about the biggest American Merg they had ever shot. Wanted to get it mounted.

Very cool...except it turned out they had whacked a loon. Fumble!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
...I have seen first hand 2 Loons shots as Mergs, one on Houghton Lake and one on Grassy Island.
I have seen Hoodies ID'd as Wood ducks, by a member of my hunting camp!
And, I have had to intervene when another boat in my camp was getting a ticket for a Pintail when they were closed. I had to argue with an aggressive female (dykey) CO that what my friend shot was a Widgeon. Luckily I had my Petersons in the truck.
And, most preciously, I was complimented by a CO on the nice brace of Woodcock I had shot in the Dead Stream swamp, which were Jacksnipe.

It is my opinion that a lot of newly minted CO's are not given Duck ID training, and they don't know any more than the people they are ticketing. And, I can tell you from experience, they don't like to be disagreed with, or worse, shown up publicly as being wrong.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
You mean those big white birds you can see across the marsh from 5 miles away aren't giant albino Canada's?

Sheesh, learn something new every day... :lol:

·
Banned
5,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still dont agree with a mandatory I.D. test. Why should we lump law abiding citizens, that take measures to do it the right way, in with these jokers...As always, a few that make it look bad for the rest of us.
I brought this up as more of a joke than a debate. Just thought it was funny. What I really think they should do though, is make duck ID part of hunter's safety. Hunters safety is pretty much a 2 day joke "Jimmy, don't look down the barrel of that gun!" common sense filler. Having a duck ID portion would actually get more kids interested in waterfowl- kids whose parents don't hunt ducks and wouldn't even give it a thought otherwise. I mean, kids/adults might actually LEARN something at hunter's safety.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do not have a lot of waterfowl hunting experience. I will admit that I am very concerned about shooting the wrong birds. I could benefit greatly from a web site that has video and in-the-field pictures of waterfowl both flying and on the water. I have checked out a few of them on the net, and taken their tests, but I am not satisfied that I am qualified. I think that I will stick to shooting the obvious birds until I feel better about it. It is scary to think about all of the illegal killing of game that goes on every day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow.. I understand some difficulty in some ID'ing, I'll admit, as I was cutting my waterfowl teeth, to seeing "snow geese" (tundra swans:D) and wondering how the heck you tell a hen from a drake mallard on the wing, but it didn't take me long to learn. some people....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I do not have a lot of waterfowl hunting experience. I will admit that I am very concerned about shooting the wrong birds. I could benefit greatly from a web site that has video and in-the-field pictures of waterfowl both flying and on the water. I have checked out a few of them on the net, and taken their tests, but I am not satisfied that I am qualified. I think that I will stick to shooting the obvious birds until I feel better about it. It is scary to think about all of the illegal killing of game that goes on every day.
Simply put... if you are not sure what it is, do not pull the trigger until you know with 100 percent certainty. And if they are close enough.. the ID'ing gets a lot easier as does with just time and experience... it gets easier

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
...I have seen first hand 2 Loons shots as Mergs, one on Houghton Lake and one on Grassy Island.
I have seen Hoodies ID'd as Wood ducks, by a member of my hunting camp!
And, I have had to intervene when another boat in my camp was getting a ticket for a Pintail when they were closed. I had to argue with an aggressive female (dykey) CO that what my friend shot was a Widgeon. Luckily I had my Petersons in the truck.
And, most preciously, I was complimented by a CO on the nice brace of Woodcock I had shot in the Dead Stream swamp, which were Jacksnipe.

It is my opinion that a lot of newly minted CO's are not given Duck ID training, and they don't know any more than the people they are ticketing. And, I can tell you from experience, they don't like to be disagreed with, or worse, shown up publicly as being wrong.
Years ago when I was in the higher DU circles in Michigan I was approached by the then Law Enforcement Chief to get our more knowledgable DU members to help them out with a waterfowl ID class for newbie CO's. They knew back then how difficult waterfowl ID is, and still do. Back then their policy was for a newbie to tag along with a seasoned CO on scheduled waterfowl checks...not sure if that's still the policy or not. The reason was they knew how difficult it could be. But it's those unplanned, spur of the moment times that will catch a newbie CO. Like they're out doing deer checks, when they run across a waterfowler, and have to do an on the spot check. I can recall a few times over the years at some of the more popular waterfowling locations when I was checked by a CO, and they never even glanced at our birds, but focused on plugs in guns, type of shot, PFD's in the boat, etc. One time I said "wanna look at our birds?"...no response. I took that to mean they really didn't want to deal with it. Heck, think back to when you were a new waterfowler. ID-ing the various birds was pretty daunting, at least to me it was. Again, not making excuses for them, but it can be a tough job for a newbie.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
...about tag alongs and special classes by looking at the State of Michigan budget. Only going to get worse.

I was in DU too, Chairman of a Chapter for 4 years. Great work, the pay was lousy!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I brought this up as more of a joke than a debate. Just thought it was funny. What I really think they should do though, is make duck ID part of hunter's safety. Hunters safety is pretty much a 2 day joke "Jimmy, don't look down the barrel of that gun!" common sense filler. Having a duck ID portion would actually get more kids interested in waterfowl- kids whose parents don't hunt ducks and wouldn't even give it a thought otherwise. I mean, kids/adults might actually LEARN something at hunter's safety.
Not trying to start a debate at all, just stating my opinion. Seems to me we had this very topic, poll possibly?:16suspect, early in the season. Anyhow, i like your implement of it into the hunters safety program. Exposure is always good. And as others have already said, time with real birds is the best teacher. And i agree, if you dont know, dont pull the trigga!;) Even then, accidents do happen with the plumages these birds go through throughout the season along with some of their striking similarities amongst some species. Ecspecially for the inexperienced I.D.er. Its a tough cookie to crack at first, but you get better.

Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited have some good quizes that can help with I.D. and duck info in general on their websites. Do a search on this site as they were posted on here earlier this year as well. Also, LeMasters Method is a great I.D. book to have as well. Has both ducks, geese and other non game marsh birds in it.

As far as the swan, albino canada or snow goose debate. Are you sure those arent Ross Geese?:16suspect:confused::evil:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
...was that there is no substitute for time in the field, because of lighting, weather, plummage stages, etc.
Experience is the best generator of knowlege. That's why I'm standing there in the spring with the goodie goodie Audobon Society types, who loath me when they ask me about my bird watching, and I tell them I'm learning so I can kill more of them.:D

·
Registered
226 Posts
...was that there is no substitute for time in the field, because of lighting, weather, plummage stages, etc.
Experience is the best generator of knowlege. That's why I'm standing there in the spring with the goodie goodie Audobon Society types, who loath me when they ask me about my bird watching, and I tell them I'm learning so I can kill more of them.:D
:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts