Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done cleaning the eyelets of 100 replacement jigs. Can't wait for that fall bite in the river!:woohoo1:And now I am ready for most of those logs and other crap that likes to eat my jigs!:protest_e Just have to take the good with the bad. The thought of getting that bite and then wrestling with a 5 pound walleye is a memory to be cherished. Come on fall!:Welcome:

Attachments

Reactions: Gone_Hunting

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely cant wait!
I also have pictures like that but from the water level. I kind of wonder if I might be one of those boats in the background!:idea:

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That be what it looks like. Them little critters shore are fun to hook into on the good old Sagnasty. When I left Saginaw in the 80's there was never any fishing like we have there now. The Saginaw was well known for its Bugle Mouth Bass and that was about all.:coco::dizzy: Now I just can't wait until I can spend time on it after the large amount of walters that come up after the shiners and gizzard shad. So much fun you would think that it would be illegal.:Modified_ lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
Fished the river for smallies downtown sag Wednesday, only caught a few bass, clarity was bad. But to say there is a few shad in the river is an understatement. It's loaded and I'm sure Walters aren't far behind.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking forward to that for my first time this year :) how is the smallmouth fishing on the fall ?
Always catch an inordinate amount of bass when drifting in front of Wickes Park just south of Center St. Bridge. There are a lot of old dock posts that are under water. They used to be for the docks to the house boats that were moored there in the 50's. A few years ago the river was lowered so that they could vacuum up the hot spots in the river sediment and you could see them rather plainly. With what I saw it is amazing that fishermen are able to jig through that area without losing everything in their tackle box. That being said I am sure that is why I catch so many bass in that area.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fished the river for smallies downtown sag Wednesday, only caught a few bass, clarity was bad. But to say there is a few shad in the river is an understatement. It's loaded and I'm sure Walters aren't far behind.
This is a very exciting post!:woohoo1:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Those are some nice fish , I can't wait to learn that fishery ! I know it will take some time but that is the fun too me about fishing new areas ! Finding good fishing spots ! Good luck guys FISHON

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are always a few Smallies to be had. And some Kitty's View attachment 187847 View attachment 187846 .
Those look like a couple that we have caught up in that area on jigs. I also caught one that (just guessing) went over 40 pounds down by the old Hooters. I fought that sucker for 1/2 hour and finally got him to the boat and was able to net it "alone". When I held it up, with both hands, the mouth was just below my neck and the tail was on the floor of my boat. Two guys that were fishing close to me had been watching and asked what it was. It had been dragging my 18 foot boat around and made them naturally curious. I told them that it was a flat head catfish to which they said what do you do with them. I said this, and promptly threw it back into the river. As it hit the water I realized that I was somewhat dumb as I did "NOT" take a picture of it. So you can think what you want about the story but I "do have the memories".:hide::tsk: I guess that is not really the kind of fish that anyone would brag about anyways.:bonk:I do now wish that I had taken a picture of it. Actually it was not the green that you see in your picture. It had more of a reddish orange tint to it but sure was a beast.:yikes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think if a fish had enough power and mass to pull around an 18 foot boat it is def something to brag about ! Sure it's not a 16 lb walleye or a 7 lb smallmouth but most defanatly a cool story and a fun time !

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The one I caught and didn't take a pic,....is the biggest one ever caught in the sag river....TRUTH! I was so wore out I just heaved it off the gunnel and back into the water with a #5 flicker shad 3 gill plates deep.

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one I caught and didn't take a pic,....is the biggest one ever caught in the sag river....TRUTH! I was so wore out I just heaved it off the gunnel and back into the water with a #5 flicker shad 3 gill plates deep.
Scotty,
I can't argue with you as I don't have the picture either but there are some definitely "huge" catfish in that river.:yikes: Believe it or not I caught that fish on 6 pound Maxima but I definitely did not horse him. That is one reason it took so long to bring it up. It was rather strange because it felt like I was gaining about 2 inches at a time and then all of a sudden it leisurely swimming out from under the boat. You could tell it was somewhat tuckered out as I was totally amazed that it did not just swim away and break off everything. That is one of the only times that I had any fish drag my 18 Starcraft upstream and also across the river. He lived to fight another day so if anyone catches him good luck with the fight.:woohoo1: Try to remember to take the picture before tossing him back though.:banghead3

·
Premium Member
11,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just curious, did the one you caught have a reddish or pinkish tone to it? I have been saying that it was a flathead catfish but I have caught flatheads that look like the picture than Eyepod posted and this one was definitely a brighter color than the deep green. I just figured it was a really old one or some other type of catfish that I am not aware of. Any ideas?:help:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seems to be a good range of colors in that river regarding flatheads. Light brown, dark brown, light green, dark green, light orange, light pink, mustard, grey and black are the colors you can expect.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts