Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a RIA snub nose in .38 special in a private sale for cheap. Gun had a couple problems a couple weeks later so I sent it in on the RIA warranty. Instead of fixing it, they sent me back a completely new gun, same model of course. Since this gun has a different serial number than the one I registered on my RI-010 form with the sheriff's office, do I have to go in and fill out a new form. RIA included all the proper paperwork with their federal licensing and stating that they replaced the gun with a new one with new serial number.

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
You will need to register the new handgun because it has a different serial number.
But I am confused on a couple of things. What is RIA? The company sent the handgun directly to you without having any paperwork filled out that would normally be done through a dealer?

·
Registered
112 Posts
RIA is Rock Island Arsenal. Not the old government arsenal, but a new company using that name IIRC it is in the Philippines.

When a manufacture replaces a gun that the owner ships directly to them it can be sent back to the owner without a FFL.

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
RIA is Rock Island Arsenal. Not the old government arsenal, but a new company using that name IIRC it is in the Philippines.

When a manufacture replaces a gun that the owner ships directly to them it can be sent back to the owner without a FFL.
Rock Island, I forgot.
I get it, you send the original back to the company and they send you a replacement. Since the replacement is a handgun with s different serial number, it needs to be registered. Take the paperwork with you when you get the permit. Do not take the handgun with you. They do not want it in the police station, that could get you in trouble.

·
Premium Member
13,169 Posts
Walk in the front door, hold the pistol up and yell, "Hey I got a gun".

·
Super Moderator
38,005 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
1. There is no good reason to take the hangin into the police station.
2. They don’t want you to take the handgun into the police station.
3. It could be constructed as a threat.

So you agree there is no “law” against it? Your opinion doesn’t make law. No the OP doesn’t “need” to take the gun with him , that hasn’t been Necessary for quite some time, but don’t give out false information. Now if there is a court in the same building, that’s a different story, secured areas is a no no. Yes you better know the law!

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
So you agree there is no “law” against it? Your opinion doesn’t make law. No the OP doesn’t “need” to take the gun with him , that hasn’t been Necessary for quite some time, but don’t give out false information. Now if there is a court in the same building, that’s a different story, secured areas is a no no. Yes you better know the law!
Out of these three things I posted. which ones is false information?
1. There is no good reason to take the handgun into the police station.
2. They don’t want you to take the handgun into the police station.
3. It could be constructed as a threat.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Do not take the handgun with you. They do not want it in the police station, that could get you in trouble.
This is where you implied it was unlawful, as far as the rest, 1, because I want to, I don’t want to leave it in my car. 2, I don’t care what they want, it’s legal. 3, only if your a idiot like the guys in Dearborn!

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
This is where you implied it was unlawful, as far as the rest, 1, because I want to, I don’t want to leave it in my car. 2, I don’t care what they want, it’s legal. 3, only if your a idiot like the guys in Dearborn!
I never implied that it was illegal. I did state it was not a good idea. There is no reason to take the handgun into the police when it is going to get registered.
In this day and age when some police officers have shot and killed someone who they mistook a had a cell phone in the hand, or shot someone who put their hand in their pocket because they thought the person had a gun.
Go ahead, take a handgun into a police station because you can and you want to. Let's see what happens. If you are lucky, you won't meet up with a cop having a problem that day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts