Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out bird huntn last weekend. Saw at least 4 tree stands and one blind set on two tracks. Some with bait on the other side of the two tracks. One on a well traveled orv trail. Do these guys really expect to be successful? Same guys that will bitch about not seeing deer. Deer hunting seems to be bring
out the hosers.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I've arrowed lots of deer on state land two tracks and ATV trails. They are like magnets for deer especially during December when snowmobiles are running. A few years ago I was sitting on a tripod stool in my snow camo about 4 feet off a snowmobile trail and had to let 6 sleds go by before I let an arrow fly. Can't even count how many times I've seen nice bucks bedded down within 30 yds of a two track. Just yesterday I watched a nice 8 point stand up and trot away from the Jeep at around 11:00 am while driving on a state land two track. Hunting roads can actually be very effective.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hunt some property along paint creek and paint creek trail. The deer have a primary pathway they travel just 15 feet away from the hiking/biking trail.

Deer like to take the path of least resistance even if humans use it. They become use to it.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Was out bird huntn last weekend. Saw at least 4 tree stands and one blind set on two tracks. Some with bait on the other side of the two tracks. One on a well traveled orv trail. Do these guys really expect to be successful? Same guys that will bitch about not seeing deer. Deer hunting seems to be bring
out the hosers.
So you'd rather have them all set up in prime honey holes so that you can %#@!$ and moan about how they took your spot? Be happy that they're all hunting on the trail and leaving the good spots for you! ;)

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
I've always associated the term "road hunter" as a description of those who drive around in their vehicle until they see something to shoot.

But if a "road hunter" is a person who hunts near a road, then I am one. We have five stands on five different properties that are within 75 yards of public roads. Collectively those stands have yielded a lot of venison over the years.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Easily one of the most over looked spots in the deer woods are travel corridors and funnels next to road ways. If you are not a closed minded hunter you can capitalize on these spots. I don't always enjoy sitting them because when I think of hunting I think of no people, no phones etc. However if your talking about some good spots that 95% of the Michigan hunting populace over looks these are it!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easily one of the most over looked spots in the deer woods are travel corridors and funnels next to road ways. If you are not a closed minded hunter you can capitalize on these spots. I don't always enjoy sitting them because when I think of hunting I think of no people, no phones etc. However if your talking about some good spots that 95% of the Michigan hunting populace over looks these are it!
Not sure u guys are picturing exactly what I'm talkin about. I drive these rds/ two tracks all the time. U will rarely see a deer there until after dark. Walk 50+ yds off the trail and there are rubs/scrapes/ etc. Also I park close by and bird hunt. So wear your eye protection for stray bird shot cause I'm shooting. Also to fishx65. I hear u on deer using the trails after heavy snow but it's October. Deer are not lined up on the orv trails in October. How often do u hear of deer getting hit by an orv? It's pretty rare. I know guys that kill good bucks on state land and they're not on the rd.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It might be someone new to hunting. Maybe some kid scared of getting lost or of the dark. Who knows and why care if you're not the one hunting it.
I remember hunting state land as a kid for numerous years and there was always a ground blind made in the same spot. The guy would be in it 2 hrs before light and sat all day. He always got a nice buck every rifle opener and most of the time it was when everyone else was driving the woods in deep and coming out for lunch.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Was out deer hunting last weekend and seen a bunch of bird hunters just walking around with their dogs pissing and ****ting everywhere leaving shotgun shells all over the place. Bird hunting seems to bring out the losers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It might be someone new to hunting. Maybe some kid scared of getting lost or of the dark. Who knows and why care if you're not the one hunting it.
I remember hunting state land as a kid for numerous years and there was always a ground blind made in the same spot. The guy would be in it 2 hrs before light and sat all day. He always got a nice buck every rifle opener and most of the time it was when everyone else was driving the woods in deep and coming out for lunch.
Guess I should have expected this response in the deer forum. It's prolly y'all's stands that I'm seein. Again I know guys that kill lots if deer and nice bucks on public land. None of them hunt like this. I'll be sure to wave at u in your stand when I drive on the two track between u and your bait pile. Might park up next to you and run the dog for birds too. I live here and have seen shmucks use rds as shooting lanes for years. It's not right despite what u say.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cscott711 makes some sense. Luckily I don't have to deer hunt on state land and deal wirh the bs. What I'm talkin about would be like putting your stand on the shoulder of m72. Please do. Less hosers back in the woods where the deer are.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure u guys are picturing exactly what I'm talkin about. I drive these rds/ two tracks all the time. U will rarely see a deer there until after dark. Walk 50+ yds off the trail and there are rubs/scrapes/ etc. Also I park close by and bird hunt. So wear your eye protection for stray bird shot cause I'm shooting. Also to fishx65. I hear u on deer using the trails after heavy snow but it's October. Deer are not lined up on the orv trails in October. How often do u hear of deer getting hit by an orv? It's pretty rare. I know guys that kill good bucks on state land and they're not on the rd.
Prolly posted this in the wrong spot. Prolly y'all's stands I'm and methods I'm criticizing.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Cscott711 makes some sense. Luckily I don't have to deer hunt on state land and deal wirh the bs. What I'm talkin about would be like putting your stand on the shoulder of m72. Please do. Less hosers back in the woods where the deer are.
Deer cross roads and use human trails. Walk the two tracks back on the state land I hunt and deer tracks all over. One third of the deer I've killed have been within 50yrds of a dirt road or two track.

I would put a stand up on a trail crossing M72 in a heartbeat if I wasn't worried about hitting cars or a wounded deer darting into traffic. You go where the deer are and the deer do cross roads!

But hey, I'd rather be killing deer up by a road than deep back in the woods with pompous...well...you know.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Prolly posted this in the wrong spot. Prolly y'all's stands I'm and methods I'm criticizing.
Why criticize at all? Are they hurting you? Ruining your hunt? Are you some great elite Hunter that is so much better than everyone else we should all pull a chair up around a campfire and learn from the almighty and great Fowl?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why criticize at all? Are they hurting you? Ruining your hunt? Are you some great elite Hunter that is so much better than everyone else we should all pull a chair up around a campfire and learn from the almighty and great Fowl?
Yep. Pull up a chair y'all.
Haha yep pull up a chair. Doesn't impact me at all just funny. They're not ruining my hunt but they're gonna be the one to bitch when my dog runs by and my shotgun barks. Or I drive my truck between their bait and stand. Really shouldn't be able to drive a truck through somebody's shooting lane. But if u think the deer are there then ok. But don't say [email protected] when I drive thru.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What your saying is no one is aloud to "hunt the road" but yet your walking it with a loaded gun why don't you go 2 miles back bird hunting is it because your lazy?or is the hunting better up close? Have you ever thought maybe it's a person with health issues and don't/can't go deeper into the wood because of health risks and they just want to be able to enjoy the outdoors like you and I.whatever the reason maybe no one has to answer to you!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What your saying is no one is aloud to "hunt the road" but yet your walking it with a loaded gun why don't you go 2 miles back bird hunting is it because your lazy?or is the hunting better up close? Have you ever thought maybe it's a person with health issues and don't/can't go deeper into the wood because of health risks and they just want to be able to enjoy the outdoors like you and I.whatever the reason maybe no one has to answer to you!!!
I do go back 2 miles bird huntn. Somedays probly put on 10 miles walkin. Guess I wouldn't really call that lazy. U r right. No one has to answer to me but I'm entitled to my opinion that it's bs. Again shouldn't have posted this here one of the stands is prolly yours.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Guess I should have expected this response in the deer forum. It's prolly y'all's stands that I'm seein. Again I know guys that kill lots if deer and nice bucks on public land. None of them hunt like this. I'll be sure to wave at u in your stand when I drive on the two track between u and your bait pile. Might park up next to you and run the dog for birds too. I live here and have seen shmucks use rds as shooting lanes for years. It's not right despite what u say.
I own my own land so I don't have to deal with people like you. Just because you live their doesn't give you ownership. When you act ignorant, I hope the hunter presses charges against you for hunter harassment and karma bites you in the a**.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The road is position A. :lol: in all seriousness though I have some great spots less than 100 yards from da road and have killed tons of deer from them. He'll I once killed 3 in one morning within sight of the road maybe 75 yards away, like I said position A.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts