Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about picking up a new press. I've had my eye on the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for a while, and I check on the price from time to time. Right now MidwayUSA has it for 42% off their price ($209.99) making it $121.24. They also have the RCBS Rebel for 40% off their price ($234.99) making it $139.32. I think I'm going to opt for the Rebel (appears to be heavier duty/wider based) since only a little bit more.

My question is, are these prices an indication that they are being discontinued? Is the Rebel a good press and worth the upgrade? There are a few bad reviews talking about some "slop" in the Rebel. Should I just get the Rock Chucker Supreme? With todays inflation and supply/demand issues, I'm just a bit skeptical as to why these presses are suddenly priced way below MSRP/MAP.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm thinking about picking up a new press. I've had my eye on the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for a while, and I check on the price from time to time. Right now Midaway USA has it for 42% off their price ($209.99) making it $121.24. They also have the RCBS Rebel for 40% off their price ($234.99) making it $139.32. I think I'm going to opt for the Rebel (appears to be heavier duty/wider based) since only a little bit more.

My question is, are these prices an indication that they are being discontinued? Is the Rebel a good press and worth the upgrade? There are a few bad reviews talking about some "slop" in the Rebel. Should I just get the Rock Chucker Supreme? With todays inflation and supply/demand issues, I'm just a bit skeptical as to why these presses are suddenly priced way below MSRP/MAP.

Thanks for any input.
RCBS makes good stuff and I’m sure either is a quality press. As far as it being discontinued that really doesn’t matter, they all take the same dies and shell holders, and you’ll never wear it out. I’m loading on an old pacific press probably from the 70’s. Works great for me. Unless you’re a competition shooter I’m sure either will be great, and a great bargain at that price. Now good luck finding primers, but that’s another story…

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m loading on an old pacific press probably from the 70’s.
Wow, that's funny, I have the same press! Is it blue? Bought mine from a guy for $20 LOL. I did some research on it and believe they were bought out by Hornady. Very simple and functional press, just thought it would be worth the upgrade for the price.

Reactions: scrriverrat

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd take the Rock Chucker over the Rebel. Just my preference. Unless you load real long cartridges, the RC is tough to beat. The rebel is wider offering more material and longer in stroke making sizing and seating long cases a bit easier. The RC has decades of great success that can't be overlooked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, that's funny, I have the same press! Is it blue? Bought mine from a guy for $20 LOL. I did some research on it and believe they were bought out by Hornady. Very simple and functional press, just thought it would be worth the upgrade for the price.
Mine is red, but I think hornady changed the paint after the bought pacific, but kept the same casting. eventually they started casting them with hornady down the side. I suppose I could do some research but I’m kinda lazy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Always wanted a Dillon progressive. Just could never justify the price. I'd NEVER recoup the cost and I burn barrels up alot. Costs more to reload rifle cartridges today than but factory ammo. Going backwards in every way right now
I could see that if starting out in todays pricing. If you've been an established reloader for some time, you "should" be stocked up on a lot of stuff if you replenish as you go. Before these latest crisis of last several years, buying powder by the 8# jug and primers by the case was common for us. Then the cost per shot goes way down.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I could see that if starting out in todays pricing. If you've been an established reloader for some time, you "should" be stocked up on a lot of stuff if you replenish as you go. Before these latest crisis of last several years, buying powder by the 8# jug and primers by the case was common for us. Then the cost per shot goes way down.
I'd say if I got into a progressive press years ago, it'd have paid for itself from the loading I've done. Not so today. Definitely not worth it right now. I enjoy using a single stage press more anyway

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd say if I got into a progressive press years ago, it'd have paid for itself from the loading I've done. Not so today. Definitely not worth it right now. I enjoy using a single stage press more anyway
Yeah, probably not many individuals burning up ammo like the "old days"! We certainly are not. I mostly let our boy practice, and my wife when she wants to. I just establish the handloads, then shoot a group every so often to confirm it repeats.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Yeah, probably not many individuals burning up ammo like the "old days"! We certainly are not. I mostly let our boy practice, and my wife when she wants to. I just establish the handloads, then shoot a group every so often to confirm it repeats.
I used to shoot about 2,000 rounds of center fire rifle a year, now maybe 200. I'll only shoot what I can buy now, and won't dive into my own supplies.

·
Registered
315 Posts
At one point I was pretty heavy into long range precision shooting. I didn't really compete, but I had access to Camp Perry .I learned a lot from some of the rich guys that were into sharing, you wouldn't know that some of these guys were stinking rich, until you saw their rifles!! It was a drive, since I lived in Canton, Ohio.
We wouldn't think twice about the cost of gas.
I had three rifles. Ruger M 77 in 30-06,a Weatherby. 338,and a custom Kimber 6.5 Creedmore. I still have the Ruger,since I did quite a bit of big game hunting. I always carried a . 44 magnum, because at the time it was a sure game stopper! I had that one dialed in with a couple of bullets, Barnes -x and another one which I can't recall now.
But I never had use it as a back up. Mostly because my cousin carried a 12 gauge with slugs. We had tested the Federal lead slug against a sabot round and the plain Federal had a kinetic energy that was three times that of the sabot,and later one of the copper ballistic rounds that didn't dump much energy to create a wound cavity until exiting.
I liked the Nosler Partitions and the Barnes-x, mostly depending upon the game being hunted. The Barnes dumped a massive amount of energy upon impact.I liked it in a 190gr. I also liked the Nosler in a 168gr. for Mule deer and Whitetail, I took a few Antelope with the 6.5 at some surprising ranges. I think that tailored loads have given me an edge over most of the factory loads, which gave me some decent brass, though I preferred Federal brass over most,even some of the nickle plated stuff, that did look pretty even though they had a shorter lifespan and a tendency for overpressuring. I did like the belted .338 but the recoil was more than I liked
A friend of mine loved belted cartridges. He had. 7mm magnum, and a .338 which is in my opinion too fast for Whitetail, he lost three deer, due to the fact that these rounds couldn't dump the energy necessary to stop the deer in short order. I finally convinced him to use his. 257 Roberts. This made a big difference for him. I invited him to go out west, where he could use his .338 mag. He took a nice 6×6 Elk,and a decent Brown Bear. Those were some great days afield!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts