Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a few hunting dogs and have been around dogs my whole life but need some back up on this one. I have a girl at work who owns a lab and every time they give it a raw hide he pukes. I have been told as long as I can remember that they were really hard on a dogs stomach and don't digest well. I have never given them to my dogs and she can not convince her husband that the raw hides are bad news.

Any input or sources on the pro's and con's I can pass along.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My opinion is this..... if I give my dog something and it pukes each time. I don't give it........ Why would anyone give something to their dog that make them puke, even if its okay?

I think the guys needs to chew on one and see if he likes it.

Personally, I don't give them to my dogs.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
In this case

pro- keeps the dog busy
cons- makes the dog throw up- possibly vet fee

too many chewing alternatives out there to keep sticking with rawhides for those labs

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was trying to come up with some reputible(sp?) sources of information regarding this issue so I can pass it along. I have done a few web searches and found good information but the source is not really listed.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
My dog would work a rawhide bone long enough until he gets the knot to the point he thinks he can swallow it, he's gagged and choked a few times (only for a second or two), so I quit giving them to him.

I buy the real bones that are smoked (the big ball joints or leg bones). They last MUCH longer and because they stay hard and don't soften, he can't swallow them. They are messier than a rawhide, but that's not worth my dog's life. Once he works all of the outside coating off of them (must taste better) he usually looses interest in them. If he does happen to work them down to a point that I think he could try to swallow them, I throw it away and get a new one. I look for heavier bones, so they don't break into small pieces. I don't like the rib bones, because he can shatter them into small sharp pieces.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I give Ruger Pig Ears, they're expensive but he's never had a problem getting them into tiny pieces.

The only rawhides I buy are the big "Pressed" rawhide bones, they're expensive and we've had to ban him from the couch with them because they're messy, but it's nearly impossible to break them into peices that he'd choke on.

On a side not, he never gets anything to chew on if I'm not in the room, he'll never get a rawhide or pig ear in his kennel either.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Steel,
Do you fill the kong completely up and then freeze it or just put some down in there a ways and freeze? I give ours kongs with PB everymorning when I leave for work, but I am going to try making them up at night and throwing them in the freezer.

Thanks for the tip!

Steelheadfred said:
GregM you offer great advice.

I have switched to freezing Peanut butter into a Kong the black one for industrial chewers, it can be a little messy so I give in the crate it is worth an our of entertainment for my puppy!

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Have never had a problem with any rawhides. I usually buy larger ones. For chewing, he likes is "Meemers" best anyway. Meemers being his Lambswool chew toy. Round, no stuffing, no squeker, just perfect to let out those endorphins without a mess. If those lambswool toys have stuffing, appendages, or a squeaker they don't last long. The round non-squeaker non-stuffed ones last forever.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gentlemen....trust me on this one.

Let your dog chew on deer antlers...I cut them up to the right size, and give them to my dog...they are nearly indestructible.

Either sheds or get a friend who shot a little buck and ask for them...Dogs love them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Rawhide chews
When I lived on the east side of the state had a high-priced up-scale vet (after moving his clinic from Detroit to Beverly Hills - in MI/Oakland County not L.A.) who was an absolutely superb vet well attuned to beagles/ bird dogs/coon hounds but nonetheless it was not unusual to sit in his office next to a br--- with a Krugeraand necklace and two diamond collared Borzois. He was absolute DEATH on any rawhide chews. Claimed he made a fortune digging impacted same out of canine guts. His advice - avoid rawhide chews as you would avoid training your bird dog - sans leash- along the shoulder of I-96.

Ruger1

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Crobar said:
try the pig ears
It has been my unfortunate experience to know that pig ears = canine gas. :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hunt4Ever said:
It has been my unfortunate experience to know that pig ears = canine gas. :SHOCKED:
Small price to pay for happiness!?:sad:

Honestly, though, I was told rawhide can be tough for a dog to digest.
My best friend's life is too short in my estimation, so I take no chances with any of those choices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts