Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody notice more jakes and toms compared to the hens this year. Been taking walks the last couple of weekends and seeing almost all males. Seen one group of hens in the last 2 weekends. This morning also saw three toms in one field and seven longbeards in the woods.:D They are going in the back areas now the rivers are going down and the water is draining from the fields. Also got to see a coyote running across the field , which the neighgbor kid thought was pretty cool. Baydog

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
was out on the property this week and notice alot of jakes and toms and only a hand full of hens. but we do need to lower our turkey population. on 50 acres and i can be garenteed to see over 100 birds on any given day. i would estimate that in the feild this weekend we had 150 to 200 birds. i believe that many birds hurt the deer hunting in an area so will go take some this spring and keep sending pics. to the dnr in hope for a fall hunt

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
1. turckey are loud and take away the deer sencse of hearing. in all my years in the field i have yet to see the two together. one makes a racket but get 100 together and the woods are load.
2. feed a flock will tear up a crop of anything. when you get that compotition going one will win. the deer loses in my area due to unlimited doe permits.
3. personal observation when our flock was at 20 or so birds we had deer around all the time, but i have notice that as the turkey population increase or deer heard has dwindle. some is do to hunting pressure on the local deer herd but if you go south of us where the turkey do not run the population of the deer heard increase

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know how it hurts having both in the area that I hunt. Sure did see the deer this weekend and there was twice if not three times as many deer as turkeys. I just wonder where these herds of deer goes to when hunting season comes around. I guess big area = lots of hiding places. :( Baydog

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Yep and when you have more deer you tend to have less turkeys at least in my area. My area has so many turkeys that I believe they intimadate the deer. I've seen a few deer grazing toward the best part of the food plot only to walk away fast when a flock of birds walked in:mad:

I just think it depends on your ratio of deer/turkeys. Kinda of like a gang thing. LOL.........marty:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have read in a book. That turkey's and deer will forage together usually in the fall. They author expressed the turkeys take advantage of the nose of the deer and the deer take advantage of the turkey's eyesight amongst other qualities. I suppose that a small number of turkey's is one thing but if the flocks are a big as you say they are maybe that does disrupt the deer. Good observation. But I am not completely

·
Registered
179 Posts
Around the area I hunt what I have noticed is that the toms and jakes are in a group then a quarter mile away the hens are all grouped up.

Come spring who knows where they will all be?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
RULE #1

YOU WILL SEE DEER IN TURKEY SEASON AND TURKEYS INDEER SEASON:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts