Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you see yourself as a big lake fisherman? We have a lot of different levels of experience here. We've got guys who've been doing this for 20 years, charter captains, and once-a-month types.

I consider myself a good amateur. I know all the techniques but haven't mastered many of them yet. I seldom get skunked, but I seldom limit out either. (The ports I fish has something to do with that too.) I have fun fishing, and I love to talk shop here.

I'm a tight-wad with my money too because the more I stretch a buck the more crap I can buy.

I am not an expert by any means though. I don't fish 100 days a year. I have next to no tournament fishing experience. I don't and can't run 13 rods at a time. I'm still learning the finer points of some presentations and I haven't run things like wire dipseys and lead core enough to really be comfortable with them. I have enough tackle and gear to get by, but some of you post pictures of your rigs and your tackle collections and I'm in awe. Someone here mentioned they had 2000+ spoons. I don't have 200 and I thought I had a lot. I have like 20 flies and I've tied 75% of them using supplies I bought at Hobby Lobby. I've got enough to tie another 20 or so, but I can't think of any more patterns to tie.

That's why I consider myself a good amateur. Anyone fishing for a day on the water with me will probably catch a few fish, but I don't have nearly the amount of experience some of you do.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I fish about 3-5 days a week on the big water between April and Sept., and it has been that way for the last 10 yrs (I have a long way to go, I'm only 28). I Avg. about 600 hrs on the water a summer. I do a tournament just about every weekend. This last yr I did the DAS Steelheaders tournamnets and took Their Captain of the Yr award. 2002 was my first yr fishing with them and took 3rd, that was due to missing a few weeks in Alaska. My boat is a fully Rigged tournament fishing machine with more rod holders than Carter Had Kidney pills. Running 15 rods without tangles is not a problem, sometimes running up to 6 wires and 3 cores at 1 time. If Divers are hot I will stack 3 a side, and so on. To be a good tournament angler, you have to be consistant. You have to able to fish in the boat under all conditions, not just when its "your day". I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I'm very consistant in my fishing. I do know every dime I make goes into Fishing or fishing equipment (my 'ol Lady's job pays the Bills). I'm not just a big water fisherman, but a highly addictive Fly fisherman. I used to work for Orvis in college teaching fly-tying and cast. I spend any time I'm not in the big water on the river. If I had to choose Big water or River, I'd have to pick the river. I very rarly use a spinning reel, If its not a trolling reel, it's on the fly, no matter what kind of fish it is.

If there is anything you need an answer to, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to answer it.

Here is a pic of my current rig....

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
That is a interesting question Beave. Big lake fishing to me is a passion. I 'use' the lake to wipe away the conflicts that are ashore. Being a charter boat captain has not decreased my anticipation to be on the water. I am just as happy watching people catch fish, as I am catching fish myself to win tournaments.
That being said, even though I have a "understanding" of how fishing works, nobody will ever master it. I consider myself a good fisherman but I have known for years that I will never know it all. The big lake is a great place but will never be conquered by any fisherman.

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,131 Posts
Fellow DAS member here. ( I didn't join the club to fish tournaments as much as to learn from people like SalmonBum !! ) LOL :cool:

I usually dont run more than 6 rods, but hope to add wire and a few other new tricks to my "repertoire". Haven't used much in the way of bodybaits to date but plan to change that this year. I like learning new tips and techniques from those more experienced.

Started out looking at a walkaround cuddy, but ended up going with a FishMaster bowrider as it lends itself more to the walleye trips and my salmon trips out solo. Will try to get some rig pics posted.
:D

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
1. cappy = fletch09
2. mrymar = chasin = BITE ME TOO = tech rally
3. idylmoments

That looks about right.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Come one, Mike. You are the reigning MS titleholder. Plus, you forgot Trippin.

There are bunch of very good fishermen out there. Serious fishermen and charter captains and each have their day. A LOT of your success will depend on your crew and boat. Imagine a tournament where we all had to fish the same boat, by ourselves? That would be a true test.

·
Registered
221 Posts
90 trips this year
498 hours
too many fish to count on southern lake huron and lake erie

still learning though, sometimes those fish are harder to find.

·
Registered
221 Posts
thanks for the support

actually, if Salmonbum is single and lookin'

he could teach me some things, my wife would not mind, honest ...

I won't be hanging around for breakfast, ...

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I started fishing Lake Mi. in 1968 got my Captain License in 1981.I have done my fare share of tournament fishing over the years and even won some money. I use to field test for many companys and was on Cannons Pro Staff which included going to different fishing club and shows to due fishing seminars and push there products(only pushed the ones that worked). I consider my self a good fisherman (except for lakers) but far from being an expert. In all the years I've fished and all the different fisherman I've meet I can honestly say I've only meet three experts (big lake) and one of those just died a while ago. I due fish at least two days a week from April to Sept. With age my ego isn't near as big as it use to be so I don't need to come in with the biggest or most fish every trip and more. My latest boat is set up to fish lots of rods lots of different ways but usually I just fish 8 rods. As far as tackle I'm scaling back just sold all my body baits gave somebody here my old spoons,sold my light tackle rods and reels, but still carry about 50lbs. of spoons have no idea how many.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thats the story of my life on the water. Always, Almost,First. But never not quite. :D :D Its OK that way Knowone ever follows me....;)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think you can lern something from everybody you fish with good and bad.I've been fishing the big lakes for over 30 years,mainly Lake Huron have caught fish in evry Great Lake except Superior(some day I'll make it up there for a fishing trip,just to say I caught fish from evry Great Lake)I fish for salmon about 40 days a year.I used to mate on charters in my younger days. Most of my fishin now is done with at least one of my 3 kids sometimes all 3,I also take alot of trips with just 1 fishin buddie also take some solo trips .I don't have a big boat so crew is usually small. I'll compare my angler hour average with anybody out of the 3 ports I fish most often.I might not have the top average,but I know I'll be more then respectable.I have not fished in any tournaments in over 15 years,the last tounament I fished we won .(I was not the captain)I enjoy takin newbies out espcailly kids.I have only one hobbie and thats fishin.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
The pleasure of fishing the great lakes.:D :D Am a newbee at this because have only been at it for several years.Will be getting a larger boat this year for the simple reason to take my friends and family out and watch them hook-up.:D :D As far the the tournements and the rating will gladly take a last place to see someone on my tug hook that big one with that big smile:D :D
Larry

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
Below average but know enough to catch a couple here and there. If I had more time to fish instead of work I'm sure I could make it more interesting but never the less I just enjoy getting out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with Idyl.... Don't discredit yourselves- you guys are great fisherman that are always in the top of the heap at any tourney or weekend. Thanks for including us in the group, but without the help from other fisherman, we would never have won the Blue Water. Special thanks to a couple of guys- KODIAK and BIG FISH. They deserve a spot on your list as well.

As far as- "How do you see yourself as a big lake fisherman?" If winning the Blue Water takes us over the edge of amature status- I will only except it with another consistent year in 2004 on the water. One thing that always comes up in my mind that is way more important than technique is knowing where the fish are. You could have all the technique in the world, but if there arent any fish- no-ones technique is going to work.

Good Luck in 2004- Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hey Jeff,

You got a new crew member yet????;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes Sir, just left a message on the "Sound Off" page. Stewart Jakob DeLange. 8lbs- 13 oz Baby boy. He and Mama are doing fine (besides the hearing thing).

Looks like it will be a little tough to do any pre-fishing this year.....:rolleyes:

C-U guys on the 25th of March....

Jeff- BMT

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Well I dont nor cant rank myself for fishing on the Big Lakes because I have no experience fishing them with the exception of doing so fishing within the harbor areas.

However Im quite experienced in Fishing the Mighty Big St Clair river.Having caught almost every species but a sturgeon from the river and Landing 30 sallmon this fall from there I say I have learned alot about the tactics and the equipment used for fishing this big river.I would have to say Im an intermediate expert for fishing this river but with all types of fishing experience under my belt along with 35 yrs experience this makes me professional fisherman LOL:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Congrats Jeff! Didn't know that you had a little guy on the way.

Thanks for the props Mike, but I'm not so sure I belong at the top of that list. There's a lot of fishing knowledge and experience there. I think trying to rank fishermen relative to each other is almost impossible. There are a few boats that always seem to do well, but anyone can have their day. Idyl's comments about boats and crews are dead on too. You've gotta have the equipment and the right guys on board to consistently bring in weight.

On an unrelated note, heard that the GLPAA is back on this year. Two qualifiers on Lake Huron, (Harbor Beach - May 22/23 and Alpena, no date yet) and two on Lake Michigan (not sure on locations or dates). Showdown will be in Rogers City 8/21. Should be interesting.

Just 95 days till the Fish On.......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts